Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 Speed Tranny for type 1 engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ambrynmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Please... this is a transaxle topic, not a engine topic. If you want a engine topic... start one.

No offense, Kalle, but you appear to be lost.
petevdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
No one mentioned the 912E because they are pretty rare.

What are they worth? Seems like a decent option to a built berg5 that will run you $5k.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petevdub wrote:
Glenn wrote:

What are they worth? Seems like a decent option to a built berg5 that will run you $5k.

I'm not so sure the transmission used in the 912E(923) is specific to that model and not the same one used on the 911T.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petevdub wrote:
Surprised no one has mentioned the 923.

The Porsche 923 trans was in the '76 911e. 4cyl engine, and big trans case/gears like the later 915/930's. So the 923 is geared for a 4banger, but built like it was bolted to a 6cyl.

I think 2600 were made. Not sure.

brad
ambrynmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think realistically the 923 is too rare to consider.

this is the logic i went through to come to my conclusion.

I looked at the 901/915 transmission and both are expensive and do not appear to be able to handle a lot of horsepower/torque. I am NOT an authority on this, but based this off a lot of reading on the internet.

Several people say that the safe 901 limit is around 150 hp and the 915 is close to 200 hp. I stock 2,0L WRX engine stock puts out +/-220hp and can easily be pushed close to 300 hp. To get a rebuilt 915, you are looking at $2,000 + the conversion parts to mate to subaru is close to $1,350 (nose cone $250, front mount $250, trans flanges $300, shifter $450, shift rod/cable bits $100) plug adapter plate and clutch $800 ($480 plate+flywheel, 215mm clutch $320) and an Subamount engine mount ($300). Total of $4,450 for a trans that I wouldn't push past 250 hp without worrying... Confused

Another option is the bus 091 trans. Biggest minus to me is it's still a 4 speed. I was really wanting overdrive. I called and found out that you would be a fool to not have the trans rebuilt also (same as the 901/915). And the guys recommend getting welded 3rd and 4th gears and you might have to change the R/P ($450 I think?). You also need the Berg nose cone. So figure $800 for the core, $800 to rebuilt it, $700 for welded 3rd/4th, $500 for the GB nose cone = $2,800. Again, if you are mating it to a Subaru engine you need the clutch/flywheel/adapter plate $800 and an Subamount $300. Total of $3,900 for a trans that I probably wouldn't push past the same 250 hp and no over-drive. Confused

So if you go Subaru transmission you need a good TY754 core ($800) plus the Subarugears kit (currently on Group Buy, but I'll use the normal price ($2,500 including the Subamount). Add $200 for bearings/seals, etc. You also need a clutch, I'm assuming a hot one ($450). Total of $3,950 for a trans that can go +350 hp. This price is high since the kit is on sale (see bottom of post) and I can find good cores cheaper than $800, but I didn't include labor for the install, so I would call that a wash (you tell me if that sounds fair). Very Happy

Honestly, if you aren't planning on running a turbo/hot rod Subaru engine and keep it close to 150 hp, I would look closer at the Berg 5 speed. I read that you can get one put together for about $3,000. But then you need the flywheel, adapter plate and clutch again (but the clutch can be a cheaper Type 1 unit). Still looking at close to $3,700.

Again, I'm NO expert. This is just the logic I went through when I was looking at what transmission to use for my own project. I've been meaning to do a comparison on these transmissions for a while and this seemed to be good opportunity to do it.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested in the Subaru transmission, a few of us put together a group buy over on the STF. We did one last year and it was a good deal for everyone.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=141928

Sorry for long post...I've been thinking a lot about it... Rolling Eyes
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambrynmc wrote:

Several people say that the safe 901 limit is around 150 hp

A bone stock 1967 911s put out around 160 hp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
petevdub wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I'm not so sure the transmission used in the 912E(923) is specific to that model and not the same one used on the 911T.

The 923 transaxle is 912E only. It is basically a 915 with a 901 input shaft and altered gear ratios. They use odd release bearings and a push style clutch, like the 901.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ambrynmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre@KGPR/Airhead wrote:
ambrynmc wrote:

Several people say that the safe 901 limit is around 150 hp

A bone stock 1967 911s put out around 160 hp.

Well, like I said...I'm no expert. I read as much as I can and base my conclusions off what I consider to be sound logic.

It just didn't make sense to me to risk being wrong with a very expensive transmission. If I didn't have any better options (in my opinion) then my choice might have been different. I know I lot of guys even used these transmissions coupled to small block V-8 s, but when factoring costs in it just didn't seem like the best option.

There is some good information here from what I consider to be a very reputable source

http://rennsportsystems.com/letstalk-2/4-how-to-ma...essscluct/
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasent raby coming out with a new 5 speed??
Brian Mathe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he is making a 5 speed but it is only sold paired to an engine. Not a bad idea if you are looking for a turn key set up. If I read correct, they gear them to suit the engine package and desired driving style you want. But for the DIY crew, it's not available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebooger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can anyone that has bought a Berg 5 speed, chime in and gives some numbers $

Cost with/without core.

How much extra for heavy duty parts?

My big dilemma is whether I should go with a 901 or a Berg 5

My Interior is fresh, done a couple years ago, so I would need to rip up a brand new carpet. Sad for the shifter

I have a 901 core already, so that is a plus.

I have a 2110 that probably makes a modest 160 hp. How long will a Berg 5 hold up to this? (I like to have fun once in a while Very Happy )

What is involved in changing a 4 speed into a Berg 5? Is this a DIY? Can a local VW shop do this, and for how much? OR is this something that be done by Berg himself?

Just curious, does the 741 have better gearing? Total different mounting system, but doesnt seem like it would be to hard to adapt.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BDubVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just over a week ago I finished a 901 conversion in my 68 Bus. I'll be honest, for the money I spent I couldn't be happier. With a total cost coming in at over $700. I spent $450 on the trans in working condition, $100 on a new throw out bearing a $100 on 2 chromoly cv axles and around a $100 on misc hardware and steel to fabricate mounts and shift linkage. I had everything else. In the Bus I didn't have to graft in the Porsche shifter, so I'm not sure why it would have to be grafted in a Bug. I have a Bug and the area around the shifter looks to be the same as my Buses.

I just drove from Tucson to Phoenix in my Bus and was able to do 65-70 at 3,000 rpm. The 5th gear in the 901 is not ideal for the highway but it still works. You also have to take tire size into consideration. I love the 901 because no matter what gear I'm in I can put the pedal down and just keep pulling. Pulls strong too. I don't do much highway driving at all in the Bus but before with the 002 I could barely get to 55 without screaming at 4,000 rpm. My conversion was very easy and works really well. I'd do it again for sure.

Just a side note: I had some Porsche 5 speed stickers made to replace the 4 speed sticker on a late models ash tray that are for sale.
thebooger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tunnel on a bug has a round shifter tunnel, where the shifter for a 901 has a flat surface to mount to. Sooo, the round tunnel needs some modification for the shifter to sit nice and flat.

I would like to be able to cruise at 80mph on the hwy and be at 3000rpm or less. Is this doable with the Berg 5? Sounds like the 901 is not suitable for this?

I love the gearing I have for my 4 speed, but on the hwy crusing at 80mph, it will be at 4000 rpm and the oil temp will start rising quick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BDubVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebooger wrote:
The tunnel on a bug has a round shifter tunnel, where the shifter for a 901 has a flat surface to mount to. Sooo, the round tunnel needs some modification for the shifter to sit nice and flat.

I would like to be able to cruise at 80mph on the hwy and be at 3000rpm or less. Is this doable with the Berg 5? Sounds like the 901 is not suitable for this?

I love the gearing I have for my 4 speed, but on the hwy crusing at 80mph, it will be at 4000 rpm and the oil temp will start rising quick.

What I was getting at with the shifter is that I used a stock Bus shifter with my Porsche 5 speed so I don't see why a stock Bug shifter wouldn't work.

Glenn cruises 80 at 3500 with his Berg. My 901 isn't too far from that. 3000 or less at 80 would be dangerous. Your fan wouldn't be turning fast enough to keep your motor cool.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="theboogerI would like to be able to cruise at 80mph on the hwy and be at 3000rpm or less. Is this doable with the Berg 5? Sounds like the 901 is not suitable for this?

I love the gearing I have for my 4 speed, but on the hwy crusing at 80mph, it will be at 4000 rpm and the oil temp will start rising quick.[/quote]

I believe the Berg 5 retains the stock high gear ratio, just gives you a closer spread through the gears. You'd be limited to whatever you could come up with in the way of stock type VW high gear and R&P ratio.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge range of gear ratios available for the VW Type 1 tranny.

Pick the ones you want.

Cost... I was told replacement value of mine when it was rebuild was $6500. All the HD parts and a ZF LSD.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BDubVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$6500??? Ouch!
thebooger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

What size tires do you run on the rear? And what kind of oil temps do you have when cruising at 80 mph? I assume you have an additional oil cooler with fan?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

205/60-15 rear, 195/55-15 front.

Only the stock Type 1 oil cooler. Oil temps never exceed 210F.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gauges reads 40* higher than actual.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I used the Porsche shifter when I wrote the install article hosted at aircooled.net and germanlook was to retain the spring loaded reverse/1st gear lock out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: