Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 Speed Tranny for type 1 engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmcdade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John sheds a little light on it
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Rhino-Transmission-Case-Magnesium-081-301-513-p/081-301-513-mag.htm
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Rhino-Transmission-Case-Aluminum-081-301-513-p/081-301-513-al.htm
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmcdade wrote:
John sheds a little light on it
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Rhino-Transmission-Case-Magnesium-081-301-513-p/081-301-513-mag.htm
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Rhino-Transmission-Case-Aluminum-081-301-513-p/081-301-513-al.htm

Not much real info there, just sales/marketing hype....

Bruce- I didn't see your post above until now; how's the trip going? If you have time pm me...

Last edited by ALB on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
dalland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolrydes wrote:
tncsparky wrote:
coolrydes wrote:
Hey the day a 2180 makes 200hp without a turbo or NOS is a day I'll stand corrected.

Here is a 1603 NA that makes 195hp

Link

and a 1915 that makes 24ohp

Link

Whoever is running that dyno needs to read the set up manual. I have a 3000hp chassis dyno and I can set it up to show a stock 36hp engine making 100hp. Ill say both engines sounded good, however the jetting or float leve
May have been off on the first engine because you could see a few flat spots on the graph late in the pull. It must be the spark
Plugs making that extra 100 hp or maybe just the set up.

You really don't know that you are talking shit about probably one of the worlds greatest engine developers in the vw community..

You are shitting you self so hard that it will take months before you are clean again. Laughing
And if you want to know, both the 1603 and 1915 engine is still going strong and the 1603 is actually for sale right now...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys..... let's stay on topic. This is about 5 speed transmissions, not a engine topic.

Expect some posts to be removed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dalland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Glenn, "but somebody is wrong on the Internet" Wink

But as to get back on topic, for now people have mentioned, the berg5, the 915 and mendola. but what about other gearboxes?
G 50 for an example?

And are there any good writ ups about installing different boxes, was thinking about bus boxes in bugs or Porsche maybe?
coolrydes Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look guys all kidding aside, I too have been in the VW seen since 87' (35 years) building all of my own stuff since then, in fact a VW engine build is what got me into VWs in the first place before that it was all V8 stuff. So for 35 years I have been a hardcore VW guy. I have read everything in print as to how to make hp out of these 4 cylinder engines. I find it very hard to believe that a 1603 or 1915 engine can put down those type of numbers. If you truly can devolve those numbers you should write a book, it would sell like hotcakes. You should also consider competing in the Dyno test that Hot VWs puts out every year, it would be great free publicity.

As for the Rhino cases, the first ones were made due to very poor mag being used in a way of trying to make them stronger, later others improved the mixture of metals and thus made the case much stronger, however they are mostly used in off road applications to help keep the bell housing attached to the main case (these break off with the pounding off of off road racing).

I still stand by my statements regarding the mechanical limits or a type 1 trans and the Berg 5 speed conversion to the type 1 trans. Also I will stand by my disbelief that a normally aspirated type one below 2000cc can make anywhere near 200hp, at least until I see it in person. By the way the dyno contest is flywheel hp not rear wheel hp, so that 1603 or 1915 should be able to blow the rest of the comp away since they can make that type of hp at the rear wheels while driving an entire drive train.... Wink

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I've been building vw's since 1984. And thats only 29 years
volkyoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noobie Question!
What about the 901 porsche tranny? how is it with the synchros and alll that? the same trouble hard shifting or speed shifting?
what are the Pros and Cons to doing that conversion?
thanks!!
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

see what you are missing...you need to step up to the "New Math"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have into VW's since 1982.... 31 years

I also took math in school.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhino case:
I always hear guys mention the top ribbing as though that's the only area where the Rhino is beefed up. The Rhino has double the ribbing on the bottom, too. Show me another factory Type I case where this can be done: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/296539.jpg

While the later (larger) pinion bearing may have some benefit, there is a trade-off … the later mainshaft needle bearing is pathetic. Either pinion bearing type has adequate aftermarket fastening hardware IMHO.

901 5-spd:
While I'd consider adapting a 915 because of it's added strength, the 901 5-spd has a very weak 1st gear, the same terrible Porsche synchronizing system (prone to catastrophic failure when speed-shifted), and is considerably weaker than the 915 (in areas aside from the 1st gear).

There is presently some effort being made to adapt a Borg Warner style synchro system to 915 transaxles. This will alleviate my main concern with the 915.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolrydes Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58Dub wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

see what you are missing...you need to step up to the "New Math"

See I've been reading this thread so long even I'm adding a extra 1 in my numbers...... Embarassed Sorry even I make mistakes, I guess walking on water later is off my things to do list......

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bustin balls, I have no dog in this fight. I have built berg 5's and many other vw trans. The berg has many shortcomings, venting, 5'th clutch hub ect. But you cannot tell a die hard berg fan that. I am also the only dealer for mendeola in central California, but thats another story we don't want to get into
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Just bustin balls, I have no dog in this fight. I have built berg 5's and many other vw trans. The berg has many shortcomings, venting, 5'th clutch hub ect. But you cannot tell a die hard berg fan that. I am also the only dealer for mendeola in central California, but thats another story we don't want to get into

Venting problem has been resolved.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must make sure the oil level is correct with either the Porsche 5 speed or the Berg... Running them low on oil will result in a quick 5th gear failure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolrydes wrote:

As for the Rhino cases, the first ones were made due to very poor mag being used in a way of trying to make them stronger, later others improved the mixture of metals and thus made the case much stronger, however they are mostly used in off road applications to help keep the bell housing attached to the main case (these break off with the pounding off of off road racing).

how are they "stronger" and an "upgrade" when they have the early style crossshaft, early 4 bolt pinion retainer and webs on top? why is the material superior to the original? are they using aluminium now, correct?

those using Rhino can shed some light on this?
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best trans case is the really late 79 convertible

Anything with a 4 bolt style pinion bearing is a step backwards in durability.

The early Rhino cases were cast from weak material.... I think the newer ones are better. Still not my 1st choice.

I would build a late (76-79?) ssc core

2nd choice would be a 1970 case W/ large pinion bearing and one drain plug.

The Rhino case is for those that don't know better, or for looks.

Last edited by Type 5 Joe on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show a picture of a 1970 Bug trans case that has no drain plug in differential area.
I really like to see one.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a picture of one. But I have owned several over the years... One was in an original 1970 bug.

If the case is 1970, the casting differs from the 69 and earlier trans case by having only 1 drain plug, using the late ring nut pinion bearing, and it will have the three locations (untapped) for the 1971 and later bolt-on guide tube for the TO bearing.

I was told that they are one year only. They might be found in some late 1969's or early 1971's.

Here is another thread that mentions the 1970 case...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483151
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a picture of the late style case (on the left)... I found it in the gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: