Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Notchback Project (body work)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
Well, I'm not rollin' like Fred Flintstone anymore. Got my car back today with new pans and electrical all in order.

I was crying inside on my way to pick it up (the bill was more than I had budgeted for), but the ride home had me smiling from ear to ear. Solid pans really change the ride of the car (go figure). The ride home from Carson to Altadena was fantastic!

The shop really went the extra mile on the electrical too. There was a lot of Mickey Mouse wiring in my car to be worked out. I really wasn't expecting all of the little extras and attention to detail and was very pleased. That being said, it's time for me to stop acting like a rich bastard and start getting my hands dirty.

The fresh air vents are the next big thing. It's the only rusty part left on the car.

great! were glad to hear your enjoying the ride! the pans half's came out real nice and that engine purrs like a kitten... I bet its a nice drive now !

Anthony / ISP WEST
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIMPPRIDE wrote:
Bliss13 wrote:
Well, I'm not rollin' like Fred Flintstone anymore. Got my car back today with new pans and electrical all in order.

I was crying inside on my way to pick it up (the bill was more than I had budgeted for), but the ride home had me smiling from ear to ear. Solid pans really change the ride of the car (go figure). The ride home from Carson to Altadena was fantastic!

The shop really went the extra mile on the electrical too. There was a lot of Mickey Mouse wiring in my car to be worked out. I really wasn't expecting all of the little extras and attention to detail and was very pleased. That being said, it's time for me to stop acting like a rich bastard and start getting my hands dirty.

The fresh air vents are the next big thing. It's the only rusty part left on the car.

great! were glad to hear your enjoying the ride! the pans half's came out real nice and that engine purrs like a kitten... I bet its a nice drive now !

Anthony / ISP WEST

To tell you the truth, I almost called and asked if you guys made some adjustments on the motor. It seemed to run even better than when I dropped it off...
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanked off the door panels, checked down in the doors and found these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Man, I was excited, at 3 bucks a pop these clips add up real quick.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I just bought seven of those for my driver's side door trim....none were down in the inside...a PO had drilled two holes in the trim instead of getting the correct clips Rolling Eyes
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Dang, I just bought seven of those for my driver's side door trim....none were down in the inside...a PO had drilled two holes in the trim instead of getting the correct clips Rolling Eyes

Man, I had such a difficult time getting the trim on without the clips popping off and falling back inside the door that I can understand drilling holes out of frustration!
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge parts score!! Picked up almost all the parts I needed for my car and a couple of extra pieces. I must thank ALLWAGONS for the awesome deal, and even more awesome VW stories. Can't wait to get this stuff on my notch:

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
dc wrote:

Man, I had such a difficult time getting the trim on without the clips popping off and falling back inside the door that I can understand drilling holes out of frustration!

Glue them to the trim, then slide the trim into the door. That's the trick! Laughing

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Bliss13 wrote:
dc wrote:

Glue them to the trim, then slide the trim into the door. That's the trick! Laughing

Dang, I don't know why I didn't think of that...
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin's a cool guy. Did you check out his squareback?

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
Martin's a cool guy. Did you check out his squareback?

Na, niether one of us brought our cars. Can't wait to see an NOS square though
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIMPPRIDE wrote:
chizucc wrote:
They did my paint and body work.....good guys over there.

thanks for the kind words... we did do the body panel alignment and fixed the funk... and sent it out for final bodywork & paint... ( were booked in our spray booth for next 1½ years + with full show car restorations )

it should turn out to be a nice driver! i'm watching your build thread on it ! keep up the good work !

Anthony / ISP WEST

Just now saw this...thanks alot. I hope to get it on the road by the summer!
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried to push the eject button... I think I got caught up with worrying about how much this car would end up costing me. But, with a willing buyer and cash on the table, I couldn't pull the trigger. I feel bipolar, loving the car one day, convincing myself it is a horrible investment the next.
I've never finished a project. I always start feeling guilty about spending that kinda money on something for my self. I know, I need therapy for that crap, but I'm gonna make this notch my therapy. Body work starts this weekend...
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the major areas of concern in regards to the body work:
Passenger door/rear quarter

Driver's side fender, near door

Dent on driver's side rocker

Rockers are actually solid

And of course the fresh air vents (I need this section)

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
Here are the major areas of concern in regards to the body work:

Driver's side fender, near door

And of course the fresh air vents (I need this section)

That rust is almost standard equipment, as that's a very common spot for type 3s to rust (all years and models).

Contact Joel (Boo_Koo_Z) for that section, as he's probably got one. I wouldn't try to repair it, as it 'll be a constant battle with rust there (BTDT, and still have to fix it on my own car).

As for the door and fender dents, a better door would be the way to go, and the fender can be worked from both sides to try and bump it out better. But, since you're in California, you might be able to find one cheap enough.

The rocker skin dent will require some thinking, as you really can't get inside it to push it out. It might be easier to just cut it out and replace it. Or, IF you could get the car on a lift, you might try a dent puller on it, then weld the holes closed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
I know, I need therapy for that crap, but I'm gonna make this notch my therapy. Body work starts this weekend...

Bodywork is part science, part art. And like anything, practice, practice, practice, makes (near) perfect. And like most things VW, takes tools & $$.

The first time I mixed body filler (Bondo) it dried before I could apply it. Sad The next time, it never dried. Confused

It's a labor of love! Cool Calling it "Therapy" made my wife a little more understanding about the money I was spending, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
Well, I tried to push the eject button... I think I got caught up with worrying about how much this car would end up costing me. But, with a willing buyer and cash on the table, I couldn't pull the trigger. I feel bipolar, loving the car one day, convincing myself it is a horrible investment the next.
I've never finished a project. I always start feeling guilty about spending that kinda money on something for my self. I know, I need therapy for that crap, but I'm gonna make this notch my therapy. Body work starts this weekend...

Have you mapped you your plans for the car? I think you'd feel less anxious about it if you give yourself a good time frame on when you want to complete it. At least it's running. Rat ride it until you get can get the things you want done on it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive it while you do the bodywork one fender at a time using a good spray can primer until you are ready to spray it all with epoxy primer. Have solid used fender/door/rocker pieces welded in.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Contact Joel (Boo_Koo_Z) for that section, as he's probably got one. I wouldn't try to repair it, as it 'll be a constant battle with rust there (BTDT, and still have to fix it on my own car).

So are you saying you did not cut it out completely, and that's why it keeps coming back like a herpes outbreak, or that even after you replaced the section there were problems?

Thanks for the tips. I am pretty amazed at the work you did to the krusty notch...
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Bliss13 wrote:
I know, I need therapy for that crap, but I'm gonna make this notch my therapy. Body work starts this weekend...

Bodywork is part science, part art. And like anything, practice, practice, practice, makes (near) perfect. And like most things VW, takes tools & $$.

The first time I mixed body filler (Bondo) it dried before I could apply it. Sad The next time, it never dried. Confused

It's a labor of love! Cool Calling it "Therapy" made my wife a little more understanding about the money I was spending, too.

I've been lucky enough that the "New" Old Lady has fought me every time I even mention bailing on this car. She's been the one pushing me to "finish something for once". Confused I have a feeling that once I get over this hump I will be able to do another...
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chizucc wrote:
Bliss13 wrote:

Have you mapped you your plans for the car? I think you'd feel less anxious about it if you give yourself a good time frame on when you want to complete it. At least it's running. Rat ride it until you get can get the things you want done on it.

I have not. That probably would help me quite a bit. I can definitely get impatient and even start spinning my wheels when fooling with these cars
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: