Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58-67 Beetle Spotters Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: 58-67 Beetle Spotters Thread Reply with quote

One of our local Porsche forums has a Spotters Thread that is a lot of fun to watch.
Basically if you see another Porsche while you are out and about, you can post where, when and what you saw.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while as far as this site and the VW’s go and just never got around to doing anything about it.

Then today I saw a car while I was driving home from an appointment and that sort of re-kindled the idea.

For us in the Mid Atlantic area, we are lucky if we see 10 or 12 other VW’s a year unless we are going to the Bug Out. You just don’t see them on the roads anymore.

Since this is a world wide forum, we really need to put a few restrictions on this thread if the moderators allow it to continue. And since this is the 58-67 portion of the beetle forum, we need to limit the posts ONLY to those cars.

If you see other stuff, and the mods approve of the thread, start one in the appropriate section for what you spotted but lets keep this one for 58-67 BUGS ONLY!.

So here’s the deal, post the date, the state, the area, the location and what you saw.

I’ll kick it off with the car I saw today…

01/23/13 Maryland, Finksburg. West bound on 140 heading down the hill towards the reservoir about 3:15. A red 65 or 66 slammed in the front with a roof rack. Looked good!

Last edited by drscope on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bajafreaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics allowed ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obfuscurity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this idea. Been thinking it would be cool to have such a thing.
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea. There is a thread similar to this on my local forums. However, they put it in the General/Chat forum and it applied to all VW models.
fory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a CHERRY '61-ish rag top today in the Sprouts parking lot in Citrus Heights. It looked like factory black paint, mostly white interior, grey wheels with caps and black wall tires... This thing looked bone stock original. I can only assume the little old lady driving it was the original owner... Wish I would've got some pics, but it was gone by the time I parked.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajafreaks wrote:
No pics allowed ???

Post them if you get them, but usually when spotting this stuff its gone before I can get a picture. But I'm not really up on all the modern technology!

obfuscurity, when I first saw that red 65/66 coming in traffic I thought maybe it was you! Then traffic cleared a little and I saw it didn't have much clearance between the spare tire well and the pavement.
Hugo Stiglitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!

I thought of this idea as well a while back. Same situation, other forums that I've been on had the same thing. However, those forums also had regional boards and were primarily the continental U.S. (Pacific NW, South West, Mountain, Central, South and North East).

The regional boards made it a little easier being that it was isolated to a specific area.

Jay Leno's Garage

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o]
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea..

Regions would be nice... hard to seperate here, They would be easier to sift through ..

We all need to suggest this topic this for a "Sticky"

No Fat Chicks now.... just maybe the ocassional 1967 chubby chick.. .Wink
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be on the lookout in Richmond. I love threads like this.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see quite a few in SoCal, maybe one a day. Yesterday morning there was a sharp yellow '67 stopped on the northbound 23 freeway shoulder in the Thousand Oaks/Moorpark area. Air cleaner was off, so I figured he knew what he was doing and kept driving to work.
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
We all need to suggest this topic this for a "Sticky"

Got my vote.

Ok, I'll play.
This past monday (1/21/13), at a gas station next to the Atlanta Motor Speedway, I saw two '67s. One was a stock red bug and it had a roof rack, and the other one was a custom '67 with shaved side trim and a two-tone red/white paint job. Looked real slick. Cool
jamesbrady12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is cool. I live in Washington DC and I've seen 5 or 6 classic bugs in the last year here in the city, which seems weird, but there you go. I'll start making better mental notes so I can post about them. Thanks!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. I hope when the weather gets nice I will be able to participate more... I can start with a very recent sighting I had... In fact this is almost a re-post.

Matching Zenith blue (chubby) 67's in Oregon City. 1 on display at the vw dealership on Mcgloughlin Blvd, and one at a smaller dealer lot in Kahneemah on hwy 99, both cars less than 4 miles apart.
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on a military base and see them a lot. Right now there is an all white 67 w/ white walls and looks to be restored to factory. Next a early 60's in a non OG color of burgundy with a beige rag top. Has a early 50's W deck lid. Just dosent look right on a 60's car. Ther is a 62 sedan in white that looks OG on the interior but a respray, not bad. Ther there is a mid 60' w/metal sun roof in beige and nice wheels, lowered and restored nicely. I don't believe the engine is stock, goes to fast. I just cant seem to be there when he is outside to talk to him. There are several fat chicks but not going there. I don't go a day out here with out seeing one. These will eventually move on and new classes will start along with new soldiers and new to,me Dubs buzzing around.
Only 3 things matter in life, Those you Love, Those whom Love you and Your final Destination! Enjoy Them.
Seriously - If there is something you don't like about my car keep it to yourself.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouBugMe58 wrote:
I work on a military base and see them a lot. .

I think the idea of this topic is to post a general location that these cars are spotted at.. as well.... Confused

drscope wrote:
So here’s the deal, post the date, the state, the area, the location and what you saw.

!

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obfuscurity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I think the idea of this topic is to post a general location that these cars are spotted at.. as well.... Confused

Funny you should mention that, it brings up an issue I've been thinking about. I think what folks want to get out of this thread is a notion of which VWs are close to them in their community and/or region. Unfortunately, a forum is a really bad place for that without breaking out countless sticky threads.

I think what we are (or at least I am) looking for is something like "Foursquare for cars". That is, the ability to "check-in" or snap a photo of a VW and have it uploaded to a site that can track all of these sightings, with the ability for people to search in areas close to them. Perhaps even for owners of the cars to "claim" these sightings as their vehicle.

I'm not aware of any sites like this. I might try to crank out a proof of concept this weekend and see what comes of it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obfuscurity wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I think what we are (or at least I am) looking for is something like "Foursquare for cars". That is, the ability to "check-in" or snap a photo of a VW and have it uploaded to a site that can track all of these sightings, with the ability for people to search in areas close to them. Perhaps even for owners of the cars to "claim" these sightings as their vehicle.

I'm not aware of any sites like this. I might try to crank out a proof of concept this weekend and see what comes of it.

On the flip side of that....I think publically tracking desireable and easily stolen cars, is NOT a good idea for a public forum..

We cant assume only honest people are here... there are plenty of both Samba members and non members, lurking.... waiting, watching and reading...

General location area (Especailly true....for parked cars)....is fine with me... maybe a pic...
Pictures sometimes reveal more about the area shown than you may realize...
Usually and often edited
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
YouBugMe58 wrote:
I work on a military base and see them a lot. .

drscope wrote:

!

Well that knocks me out, All I can say is I work on a military base. Close as I can place it other than Southeastern US. Not a good Idea to tell where I spot all these cars altough it would be very hard for someone to steal them where they are located. Pictures not a good Idea also.
Thats all I gota say about that. Peace Out.
Only 3 things matter in life, Those you Love, Those whom Love you and Your final Destination! Enjoy Them.
Seriously - If there is something you don't like about my car keep it to yourself.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this a while back while out running some errands. I spotted this pretty clean Coral Red 58, here in Santa Rosa, Ca at Sonoma Ave and Brookwood. I chased her all the way to her house (which was all the way on the other side of town), to talk to her, and check out the car. I know at first she thought I was a little nuts, but oh well. Smile

Here are some pics....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I guess that we can assume that us VW owners walking out to our garages and seeing our VWs doesn't count, huh? Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: