Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lack of rebound in clutch pedal normal with engine out?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayor Marion Berry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Lack of rebound in clutch pedal normal with engine out? Reply with quote

Is it normal for a clutch pedal to sloowly rebound without the engine in?

I'm getting ready to throw my engine back in so I'm adjusting and tightening things here and there. After hooking up the clutch cable back up I've noticed when I push in the clutch and let it go, it springs back but not like it should. Takes about 1-2 seconds for it to spring back fully.

Is that normal with the engine out? Figured it might ge, but I'm not sure.

I think I have enough slack in the bowden tube

It's a mystery of a swing axle btw, no idea what year it's from but I know it's a 6v

*edit*

Weeeeeeee! 100th post, still not on the road
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of rebound in clutch pedal normal with engine out? Reply with quote

how is the spring on the cross shaft ? that is what helps return it.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of rebound in clutch pedal normal with engine out? Reply with quote

There are some bushings on the cross shaft that you can 'lube'.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of rebound in clutch pedal normal with engine out? Reply with quote

the clutch will feel a bit dead with no clutch installed. you should still get the pedel to return as there is a return spring on the clutch lever shaft on the outside of the bell house. I have seen them break however. the slow return rate you noted is an idication that there is a bit much drag in the system. so while your at it, check the spring, lube the shaft, make sure you pedel is not binding, and that the cable is free moving. also libe the clutch end where it hooks to the pedel.

also make sure your thowodut bearing is good, not related to the return issue, but now is the time to replace it if it is bad, if should be free spinning , smooth turning, with little noise. dont clean it in solvent spray nor soak, as there are supposed to be permanently lubed, only wipe it clean with a rag, no immersion.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of rebound in clutch pedal normal with engine out? Reply with quote

read this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...tch+spring

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lack of rebound in clutch pedal normal with engine out? Reply with quote

Gooey, fifty year old grease in the guide tube, the one down the tunnel, can cause drag also. I've actually had to clean out a guide tube on my brother's '66 Ghia convertible in order to make the clutch work smoothly.

I used an old cable with the end cut off and splayed out like a brush and chucked into a power drill. Get some solvent into the tube end and feed the slowly spinning cable down the tube. You'll be surprised at what will come out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: