Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to clean oil passages without removing plugs ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you molest the plugs out, they do NOT go back in the same. YOu are better off just tapping them for plugs.

It is NOT a 10-min job to do the tap/plugs. You want to make sure the tap is threading in straight, don't you? You also need to check proper depth of threaded plug in the back as it can hit the flywheel if it is too tall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to run an oil filter with a bypass why jack with getting the case medical clean??????

I clean mine similar to dale, Scrub case clean with water and pressure washer. Let parts washer run solvent through the passages for a good while, usually while I'm doing something else. Blow them out. Take case to the car wash and wash the devil out of it, come home blow it out good again. I have never had a problem with a dirty build.

Unless you are extremely meticulous or have loads of time to blow, just clean it up good and spend the time checking rotating parts fit.
hill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
If your going to run an oil filter with a bypass why jack with getting the case medical clean??????

I clean mine similar to dale, Scrub case clean with water and pressure washer. Let parts washer run solvent through the passages for a good while, usually while I'm doing something else. Blow them out. Take case to the car wash and wash the devil out of it, come home blow it out good again. I have never had a problem with a dirty build.

Unless you are extremely meticulous or have loads of time to blow, just clean it up good and spend the time checking rotating parts fit.

The stuff that you want out is downstream the pump/filter is why.

I bought a new Brazil made AS41. Drilled and tapped for filter and could see that all my best efforts had not gotten all of the chips from the drilling. I tried blowing through the cam and main oil holes hoping to backflush it out and that finally got it to where I could swab it with a greasy Q-tip. Great, that was good, and I put my pressure washer nozzle into the new hole and let it rip. Good until I started to blow the water out with air and a little piece of aluminum wedged half in half out of the #1 main oil hole. It mystified me, but I'd had enough of this.

I pulled the plugs. Be sure to drill in the center of the actual plug, not just the center of the boss they might go through. Some are way off center. You DON'T need to pull the big 25mm plug in the right case rear (don't bother asking how I know). The smaller one below it is optional, IMO - it goes into the pickup tube.

All in all I'd guess I got enough shavings and bits to half fill up an 1 1/2" freezeplug out of my "new" case, although I can't have any guess about how much might have come out during the first pressure washing before I pulled the plugs. Those Brazilians aren't doing a great job of machining their castings (after all this cleanout work mine needed linebore to .020", the first oversize to be straight) so why expect they'd do a great job of cleaning up after themselves?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: