Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater control
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Heater control Reply with quote

Help,, while replacing my twisted heater cable in my 63 EZ ,non-walkthrough, I noticed there wasn't any pin in the cylinder that keeps the threaded sleeve/cable from being twisted around. The pin allows the threaded sleeve to go only straight up and down..Has anyone tried to peplace the pin in the cylinder ?? Does anyone know how far down the pin should be placed.. I can't find any evidence as to where the pin was before I sheared it off 25 yrs. ago.. Thanks for your help. Bob KIng, 63 EZ, Long Beach , CA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean #6 here, right?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm confused what you are asking since that is just a cross-pin to hold the cable in place.

Any pin should do as long as it fits the hole properly.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion,, No, it is where the threaded sleeve slips into the body of the Bus..There is a notch in the sleeve , when inserted, the pin,keeps it from rotating.. And only allows the sleeve to go straight up/down .. Hope this helps.. Thanks for your help.. Bob KIng 63 EZ, Long Beach, Ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my '61 heater knob out today and there is a nub down in there. No pin.

It's approx. 40mm from the top of the tube.
I don't think the exact location will matter though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: heater control Reply with quote

Hey,, thanks Everett,, I thought I was going crazy.. I can't even feel a nub on mine.. I am the second owner, bought it in 69.. I kind-of remember forcing the threaded sleeve down the cylinder many years ago, and breaking something off.. anyway thanks for your help.. You are the best !! Bob King,63 EZ, long Beach, Ca.. Maybe see you at OCTO, the 23 rd,,,
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was replacing the cable in my 61 today so here's a photo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: heater control Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the photo,, I can see it.. Do you think that nub keeps the threaded sleeve from being twisted ?? I put mine in, with lots of grease. It seemes to be working OK if I turn it very slowly. Anyway it is only cold in Long Beach a few days a year. Thanks again, Bob King, 63 EZ Long Beach,.Ca..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe it does and would prevent the cables from turning and possibly binding as well.

You cannot insert the sleeve all the way unless you align it with that nub.
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: heater control Reply with quote

I need a nub......Thanks for your help,,,Bob, KIng 63EZ, Long Beach , Ca.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are facing it dead-on, I believe the nub was at 9 o'clock.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the heater cables come pre-bent/divided in lengths or do you have to decide where to bend it?
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Heater control Reply with quote

Yes , they do come pre-bent,, The longer side goes on the right. Good Luck... Bob King 63 EZ ,long Beach , Ca.
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm seing my nub worn enough to allow the threaded sleeve to turn and twist my heater cable, ..again. g'dang that's a tough spot to build up a nub. looking like a seasonal wired/unwired heater life for this northern bus. anyone notice the same on theirs?
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,, I have the same problem.. My NUB is gone. But mine works fine...I searched everywhere for the best quality cable I could find,,, Some of the cables are stronger than others .. The best one I found was super strong,, almost seemed thicker than the others... Also very shiny ,,,I made sure the cylinder moved smoothly up and down ,,lots of grease in the cylinder..,,.. Because the cable is sooo strong the cable did not twist when turning the heater knob, pulling open the heater boxes... I just turn it very slow.. I live in southern Ca.. so rarely use it,,, I can't remember where I got it... If I can find where ,,I'll post it,, Anyway,, good luck !!! If you get it working, post how you were able to do it.. Thanks, Bob King 63 EZ, Long Beach, Ca...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: