Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn Find Registration
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Barn Find Registration Reply with quote

Hey all,

This may not be the right place or this. I bought a barn find 75 Super Beetle convertible recently and seller did not have the title. I live in Oregon and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get this thing titled so that I can start working on it. Any words of advice are appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by BCWDragon on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Registration Reply with quote

BCWDragon wrote:
Hey all,

This may not be the right place or this. I bought a barn find 75 Super Beetle convertible recently and seller did not have the title. I live in Oregon and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get this thing titled so that I can start working on it. Any words of advice are appreciated.

Each state's laws are different, but you will most certainly need a bill of sale. Perhaps you can get the seller to request a duplicate title from the DMV? If the seller never had the title, it may be a hassle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this link for acquiring a lost title in Oregon: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/trorreplandtrans.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Registration Reply with quote

stang1986gt wrote:
BCWDragon wrote:
Hey all,

Each state's laws are different, but you will most certainly need a bill of sale. Perhaps you can get the seller to request a duplicate title from the DMV? If the seller never had the title, it may be a hassle.

I have the bill of sale. The seller inherited the land (and therefor the bug in the barn) so doesn't have a title. Said he would work on it and no longer answers my calls :/ SO just want to know if there is a way to get it without him. Or if the only way is through a title company that cost $900 (for that I may just resell as parts bug)
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stang1986gt wrote:
See this link for acquiring a lost title in Oregon: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/trorreplandtrans.aspx

Saw that but the orig owner is not an option as he is deceased :-/
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCWDragon wrote:
stang1986gt wrote:

Well someone must be the executor of his estate, right? That person would have the authority to order a new title.

BTW, you have to post pics of the bug. Very Happy
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stang1986gt wrote:
BCWDragon wrote:
stang1986gt wrote:

Well someone must be the executor of his estate, right? That person would have the authority to order a new title.

Said person is dodging my calls Smile as for pics Im tryin to put in now
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCWDragon wrote:
stang1986gt wrote:
BCWDragon wrote:
stang1986gt wrote:

Did you get a bill of sale?

I think without the executor's cooperation, you wont get far. I know in WV, the current title holder would have to be the individual to request the duplicate title. You may be able to get it done with a bill of sale, but who knows.
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stang1986gt wrote:
BCWDragon wrote:
stang1986gt wrote:
BCWDragon wrote:
stang1986gt wrote:

Did you get a bill of sale?

I think without the executor's cooperation, you wont get far. I know in WV, the current title holder would have to be the individual to request the duplicate title. You may be able to get it done with a bill of sale, but who knows.

Got a bill of sale yes. He was just going to part it out and IMO it was to nice to part out. Smile
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good project!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man plenty of pictures for sure.
Good luck with this.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the DMV, they'll help you. Was it registered & licensed in Oregon? That'll make life a lot easier.

I'm working through a similar issue with a Karmann Ghia I purchased from a Washington estate that I lost the title for (we think it got mixed with some papers and was recycled) , previous owner won't return calls or letters either.
I've been in discussion with the Oregon DMV, they've been pretty helpful so far.

Good luck.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would first call the DMV and have them run the VIN numbers. It may have fallen out of the system if it hasn't been regestered in a long time. In CA, if it is out of the system, all you need is a bill of sale and a letter stating that the car has been parked on private property and has been not been moved on a public road since the regestration had expired.

If this is the case and the PO will not write you a letter, where you get the letter from is up to you Wink Wink
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
Call the DMV, they'll help you. Was it registered & licensed in Oregon? That'll make life a lot easier.

I'm working through a similar issue with a Karmann Ghia I purchased from a Washington estate that I lost the title for (we think it got mixed with some papers and was recycled) , previous owner won't return calls or letters either.
I've been in discussion with the Oregon DMV, they've been pretty helpful so far.

Good luck.

Not sure where the car was last registered. But glad to hear the the OR DMV is being helpful.

Multi69s wrote:
I would first call the DMV and have them run the VIN numbers. It may have fallen out of the system if it hasn't been regestered in a long time. In CA, if it is out of the system, all you need is a bill of sale and a letter stating that the car has been parked on private property and has been not been moved on a public road since the regestration had expired.

If this is the case and the PO will not write you a letter, where you get the letter from is up to you Wink Wink

Thanks for that. I did call Oregon DMV and there is no record of the VIN in the system. Maybe Ill take my bill of sale, and "letter" in and cross my fingers. Wish I had a way other then paying a tow company to get the car to DMV since they require a VIN inspection.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could rent a little towing trailer from u-haul and tow it there yourself (if you have a truck) or rent the truck as well.

That's a super...right? No old vw tow dolly for you then...

If you take it to the DMV in Gladstone...you're in for a long wait so bring a book. That place is packed!

Let us know how it all comes out!
woodendad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went thru something similar with the missus Jeep. We had a bill of sell, but no title. DMV couldn't find the vin in any database. We went to our insurance company and purchased a title bond. They did all the leg work. I put a new plate on it yesterday, it took 5 months and we are out $120, but my new title will be here in a few weeks
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you belong to Triple A, they can do the vin verication for you. I don't know about OR laws, but if you tow it on the street, you will need a permit to move it. Out here in CA the DMV is very picky about letting the wheels ever touch a public road. I've done three VWs this way, but I had a car trailer.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodendad wrote:
I just went thru something similar with the missus Jeep. We had a bill of sell, but no title. DMV couldn't find the vin in any database. We went to our insurance company and purchased a title bond. They did all the leg work. I put a new plate on it yesterday, it took 5 months and we are out $120, but my new title will be here in a few weeks

How did that work?

Multi69s wrote:
If you belong to Triple A, they can do the vin verication for you. I don't know about OR laws, but if you tow it on the street, you will need a permit to move it. Out here in CA the DMV is very picky about letting the wheels ever touch a public road. I've done three VWs this way, but I had a car trailer.

Oregon requires the vehicle be at the DMV for a VIN inspection. Its about 3 blocks from my house but dont think Ill be able to tow it with my Jetta lol
dirthead O.G.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always file for an abandoned title. They will try to contact the previous owner, and then when they cant, they will issue you a title.
You can also try to do a VIN search online to see where, and to whom it was last registered.
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
You could rent a little towing trailer from u-haul and tow it there yourself (if you have a truck) or rent the truck as well.

That's a super...right? No old vw tow dolly for you then...

If you take it to the DMV in Gladstone...you're in for a long wait so bring a book. That place is packed!

Let us know how it all comes out!

May have to do that. Im right off Powell like 3 blocks from the DMV. If i can't get it titled Ill take the prts I need for my Daughters bug off and sell the rest as parts. Saddens me to do that as I think its far to nice to part out but not much else to do if I cant title it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: