Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn Find Registration
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirthead O.G. wrote:
You can always file for an abandoned title. They will try to contact the previous owner, and then when they cant, they will issue you a title.
You can also try to do a VIN search online to see where, and to whom it was last registered.

How would I file for an abandoned title?

How do I do a VIN search? Tried car fax but because its and older VIN and not 17 letters/numbers it did nada.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.benboyle.com
Wideopen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered a motorcycle here in Ca with nothing more than a "statement of facts" at the DMV. The motorcycle was at on point in a salvage yard and then sold three times with nothing more than a bill of sale. Not one previous owner bothered to register it (just work on it a little bit). By the time I bought it there was no paper trail. I went to the DMV and asked what the appropriate actions are and the handed me the statement of facts paper ran the vin for theft/liens/ect. After that they told me to get a brake and lamp inspection and bring the bike down for a vin verification. DONE!

CAll the OR DMV, my guess is they will not only give you the correct way to go about this, but likely will be similar to my experience.Good luck.

Squareback.....wife is begging for....not in the $ right now!lol
woodendad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCWDragon wrote:
woodendad wrote:
I just went thru something similar with the missus Jeep. We had a bill of sell, but no title. DMV couldn't find the vin in any database. We went to our insurance company and purchased a title bond. They did all the leg work. I put a new plate on it yesterday, it took 5 months and we are out $120, but my new title will be here in a few weeks

How did that work?

Multi69s wrote:
If you belong to Triple A, they can do the vin verication for you. I don't know about OR laws, but if you tow it on the street, you will need a permit to move it. Out here in CA the DMV is very picky about letting the wheels ever touch a public road. I've done three VWs this way, but I had a car trailer.

Oregon requires the vehicle be at the DMV for a VIN inspection. Its about 3 blocks from my house but dont think Ill be able to tow it with my Jetta lol

Basically its insurance stating the car is in your possession and legally so. No liens or disputes. We use progressive ins and believe it or not they used an out of state title company just like these lost title places you find on the web. We had papers that had to be notorized and then called a sheriff out to verify the Vin and runit thru ncic database. They signed off and she went to the tag office. It sucked waiting, I killed her yota months back so we kinda drove the Jeep anyway.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

download and fill out the application for lost/replacement title from the dmv website, have someone check the box that certifys title is lost, take the bill of sale, (which they likely wont even ask for), the application, the car and 77 bucks and your all set. Oregon is real easy on this.
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
download and fill out the application for lost/replacement title from the dmv website, have someone check the box that certifys title is lost, take the bill of sale, (which they likely wont even ask for), the application, the car and 77 bucks and your all set. Oregon is real easy on this.

That easy? Ill have to give it a try.

Side note:

Anyone know if a 2001 Jetta can tow a bug on a car dolly? (3 blocks to local DMV)
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they do vehicle inspections at the Powell DMV? I've seen pics of bugs and ghias towing other bugs and ghias...they're not that heavy. I would think a jetta could do it for 3 blocks over level pavement. Rigging the towbar might be a challenge on a Jetta?

If the car was last registered in Oregon, then just doing as cletus suggested should work just fine.
digitalbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out.

http://mycarquest.com/2012/10/how-to-register-a-classic-car-without-a-title-in-the-us.html

I hope this helps a little bit.
My build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541120
-------------------------------------------------------
1973 Super Beetle (work in progress)
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
Do they do vehicle inspections at the Powell DMV? I've seen pics of bugs and ghias towing other bugs and ghias...they're not that heavy. I would think a jetta could do it for 3 blocks over level pavement. Rigging the towbar might be a challenge on a Jetta?

If the car was last registered in Oregon, then just doing as cletus suggested should work just fine.

I though all DMV's did the VIN inspections. And no idea where it was last registered. Been trying to find a reliable way to look up the VIN.
BCWDragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to try straight to Oregon DMV if that doent work then the Vermont thing. Ill let ya all know what works.

Thanks again for the advice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: