Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Simple question about oil temp sender
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkfox89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Simple question about oil temp sender Reply with quote

Is this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A place I can put this?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VDO-323-064

What is that plug called? I am guessing this is what you have if you have dual relief? The one on the pulley side is the oil relief plug, but is there a separate name for this one on the other side?

(thanks goes to neil68. this is his picture)
darkfox89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
74autobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it does fit there how accurate would the readings be? mine is located on the bottom and seems to give an accurate reading. im not an expert with acvw and am just thinking out loud.
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I've got one of my sensors.

From another post I made on the samba:

owdlvr wrote:
I can confirm that the relief plug sensor reads lower due to air moving over it.

My setup includes three sensors, and a rotary switch to select which one shows up on the oil temp gauge.

Sender in the Feed line to engine "F":

Sender in the dry sump Tank "T":

And a third sender in the Oil pressure relief plug position (flywheel end) "E". (not pictured). You can see a significant difference between the three sensors as the engine heats up. Obviously the oil tank is the slowest to come up to temperature with 10L of oil in the whole system. Once the system is up to normal operating temperature (200deg), the temp stays relatively stable across all three sensors. The setup allows me to watch the tank to determine when the system is fully up to temp and ready for racing, I use the engine sensor to monitor temps normally, and switch to the feed if I'm seeing increased oil temps and/or want to diagnose the cooler/fan setup.

But my post started with being able to confirm the relief case sensor reads cool due to airflow over it. How?

I run a skid plate underneath my engine. With the plate installed, my oil temps are essentially exactly the same across all three. Remove the skid plate, and the sensor in the relief plug will drop 15-20deg. The amount of temperature drop is directly related to the traveling speed of the vehicle. Stop-and-Go around town and the temp senders match, hit the highway for a length of time and 20deg cooler. The airstream _does_ effect that sensor location.

-Dave

I will add that I've got a 1776, with all tinware installed, factory thermostat and flaps.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, put it in the rear one as pictured
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: