Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need paint ideas for my Baja...
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigFatDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Need paint ideas for my Baja... Reply with quote

Here's the story...

I've got a '69 Baja that is currently tan with a tan interior. I've decided it needs a bedliner paint job. I'm going to use Al's Bedliner.

I've also got a Black with Black top and Tan interior MK3.5 VW Cabrio.

Why the Cabrio matters...

I want to take them to some local "shows" and get togethers as a pair. I don't expect either car to be what I would consider a "real show car." It's just for fun.

The Cabrio has uprated brakes and a receiver hitch. I've flat towed the Baja with it before, mainly as a trial as I have real tow vehicles. I intend to use it to tow the Baja to the get togethers.

The Cabrio is staying the color combination it is now. Although I intend to make some interior changes (adding some black). I'd just go ahead and bedliner the Baja black, but I live in Texas. So, I was thinking about some sort of Black and Tan color combo... Mainly making sure it had a Tan roof. It will also have some diamond plate trim.
Any ideas?

Old pics of both...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
biblethumpncop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the UPOL Raptor UV protected bedliner that was on my Psuedo Class 11 car. It was in Olive Drab. Make sure your bedliner has UV protection. Our Phoenix sun can fade stuff fast. I sold it after a year and a half of being parked outside. I had no fading issues. My current baja will probably get painted with it as well, but in a different color.

I thought of black as well, but am worried about the heat it will absorb. The paint has a satin sheen to it, which will contrast your convertible's shiney black paint. I would stay with solid colors, no metallics. I think an orange or red body with black bumpers and trim would look good.
Freakzinho81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that biblethumpncop.

UPOL Raptor UV protected bedliner is the way to go for me as well. I am almost ready for paint; and after watching EXTREME 4X4 when they apply that stuff to the Aluminum Samurai, it just seems like the best option for any Off Road vehicle. Easy to repair, hard to scratch, rust prevented; plus gives that OFF ROAD BAD A$$ look! Shocked

The UPOL system you're able to tint the color to a variety of colors, which makes it even better; not everything needs to be black.... Inside and out it's one of the best options on the market right now. Easy to apply as well, even with a small compressor you can get away with it, since the gun runs on low CFM (35-45PSI), it basically spits that paint over the surface and adheres very good (as long as it's properly prepped) *** I should work for them, or perhaps they would give me some free paint, just by talking good about their product LOL!

I use POR15 for floors and definitely will go with UPOL system for inside and outside paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: