Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it is almost finsihed. I can really notice the attention to detail is really exeptional and the your project is way too cool! That engine looks freash too!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, long time, no posting by me. Well, those of you who know me know that I host a big VW Camping weekend called "Buses Nowhere Near The Arch" right on Mark Twain Lake near Hannibal, Missouri over the long Labor Day holiday weekend (this coming weekend. So I have been side-lined lately in getting preparations ready for hosting that big event. But don't worry, I've still been trying to get a little time in on the DC every chance I get.

Now that the wood-slats installation is complete, I have been getting the VW Factory rebuilt "exchange" motor prepared for install and it's first fire-up in about 50 years.

So I have a NOS 36hp muffler for this DC that had it's lower pipes amputated long ago for some unknown reason.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like the manufacturer's initials are F and L ??? This stamped-in logo is on both end caps of the muffler canister, underneath the now removed paper part number label.

I bought it this way, and figured I'd have used pipes welded back on to repair the NOS unit. Thankfully a buddy (Al Shelton) here in town is a wizard of a welder, so I gave him the NOS muffler, another good used muffler to take measurements off of, and a banged up canister 36 hp muffler with good used lower pipes to be cut off to repair my NOS muffler. Al did a beautiful job, and the welds and fit were excellent! Thanks Al!

So I got it home and fine sanded all the NOS mufflers primer paint coat off and thoroughly scuffed it all up in preparation for some nice VHT brand 1500 degree hi-heat paint. I took my angle grinder and ground down the already nice welds a little more and it is almost impossible to see where Al grafted the used lower pipes on. Then I started painting...

I laid down three coats allowing ample time in between for drying each coat.

It turned out nice and you'll see it mounted up soon.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
A close friend of ours, Chris Koelker (she was at our wedding almost 25 years ago) has started a website called www.themagicremedy.com and is currently filming video clips of folks that have found their “magic’ in life. Feel free to visit her brand new website. She recently finished editing and just posted the premier video clip on her new website (the first of many more to come), and her first subject happens to be me. My artist/wife Kathryn and several others are soon to be seen there also. The “shoot” was a very interesting process over a couple of days at our place down in my “man cave”. You might enjoy the result, so check it out…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWaBxbLRpK8

or

Link

Bill

Bill a member of the SBS is doing a project for College and needs footage for it. Can I put him in touch with you? I think this is what he's looking for. BTW Crunch time... you have how many days until the reveal? Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm looking to install the brand new pressure plate, clutch disc, and throw out bearing for my 36hp motor. I ordered all three items as well as many others from Wolfsburg West. So I finally get them out of storage and open them up. As it turns out, I received the correct throw out bearing, a 180 mm clutch disc with springs, and "incorrectly" a 200mm pressure plate in a box with hand written 180mm markings on the box (see the photo).

It was pretty obvious when placed together that I had a mis-matched set of components...

In many years of shopping with them, this is the first tie I got the wrong part from them. I'm not upset, but the parts picker probably saw the 180mm marking and picked it for my order. So I dig around in my stored parts and turned up a new boxed Brazilian VW 180mm pressure plate. It is a six spring-style pressure plate with a Beetle part number.

But I'm not sure if it is really the right pressure plate for use in a Transporter. I imagine that at worst, it'll work fine, but if anyone knows if it would be better to run a stronger nine-spring pressure plate (is that available at some vendor out there?), then point the way to them, as now is the time to get this right before I go to install the engine... Thanks for any ideas or clarifications...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, nice article on the wood slat install. What size magnet did you use? or what was the spacing from the rear wall?
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the 180's have a 9 spring? I'd run that 3 arm any day with a 36 horse. Do you plan on huge hills with massive loads? Even then I'd bet you'd be fine. I love the 3 arm simply because of how they feel.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Did the 180's have a 9 spring? I'd run that 3 arm any day with a 36 horse. Do you plan on huge hills with massive loads? Even then I'd bet you'd be fine. I love the 3 arm simply because of how they feel.

You're probably right, I don't know and doubt there were 9-spring 180mm pressure plates? Anyone know if there was one?

I can go with the new 3-arm 180mm pressure plate that I already have, but does anyone know if the 211 part number 180mm pressure plate with lots of fingers and a collar for the throw out bearing that might be available is stronger/the same/weaker than the 180mm 3-arm pressure plate? And no, I don't plan any steep hill climbing or abusive use, but it would be nice if the pressure plate that I select and mount be up to the task!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kupplung-Druckplatte-Reibsc...3f382fbcc5

180 mm 9 spring clutch pressure plate

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time Hazetguy posted this:

hazetguy wrote:

Looks like one of the 211 bus 6-spring has double springs.

Last edited by BarryL on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen the 180 mm clutch pressure plates for the DKW Munga in buses. they are 9 spring....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, there is so much to learn, even about available pressure plates. My head is gonna explode!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
Bill, nice article on the wood slat install. What size magnet did you use? or what was the spacing from the rear wall?

Thanks Dean, hopefully that article (Part 1) in my Transporter Talk column in the Oct 2014 issue of Hot VWs will help some SC/DC owners out. Rick Wilson taught me everything I know about wood slat installation! Part 2 of that install will be in the Nov 2014 issue. Rick uses a magnet (great idea), but I used the taped-down nylon line and took measurements from it, and carefully butted slats up to the line without moving it.

AA is sending me on a flight assignment to LAX with a 19 hour layover tonight through tomorrow afternoon. God! I hope there is an "In 'n Out" burger joint somewhere within walking distance of our hotel. I'm jonesin' for a "fix" real bad!!! Double-Double combo with cheese and grilled onions makes me weak at the knees!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Double-Cab wasn't complete and therefore not brought to our BNNTA VW camping weekend. I spent a lot of the weekend explaining that to attendees who were hoping to catch a look at it up close. I was humbled that so many wanted to see it, but I had to explain that I really have never had a deadline (even my own event) or need to speed up and rush. This restoration has been in high gear lately, but really has been an on-going refresh for over 15 years now. Another few months wait won't bother me any, but rushing the work definitely will!

We had another great BNNTA#29 event, nice weather in general with a few brief short rain showers and nice cooler temps. Looks like we had about 106 VWs camping for the weekend, and I'm now in the breakdown, clean-up and store-away mode with my vehicles and the BNNTA event equipment. I'll be back on the DC shortly.

I've heard from Corona Ryan that the NOS trip speedometer is now in tip-top condition! His preventative opening up to clean out the dried 50+ year old NOS grease, and re-lubrication of the trip speedometer. He says that it is probably the nicest one that has ever been in his shop, and his evaluation of it's current value absolutely stunned me! I'll be holding my breath while it is shipped back to me to get installed into the DC.

Yesterday former Missouri resident (now Mesa, AZ resident and ABC member) Roy Jonas came by in his awesome '65 Deluxe Sunroof Microbus. He kept the promise he made exactly two years ago when he departed Missouri that he would return in his finished Deluxe to attend the BNNTA weekend and visit family here. He made good on that promise and drove over 1,400 miles straight from AZ to MO in 30 hours behind the wheel to attend! He won the "longest distance travelled with reduction boxes" BNNTA award as well as "Best Split-Bus" at BNNTA award. Roy dropped by to see the Double-Cab progress in person, so Jeff Burke (who is the body man/painter that did Roy's Deluxe and then my Double-Cab) came by to join in on the visit and see both Transporters together.

Jeff Burke painted both of these Transporters and came by to see each...

Side by side...

Nice view from my deck...

Four old friends together again...

Roy is leaving Missouri this afternoon for the long ride towards home again. It was great to see him and that beautiful 21 window.

Safe Westward travels Roy!!! Me? I'm getting into the shower and heading to the STL airport to work an MD-83 nonstop to LAX this evening for a long layover!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that Roy got home successfully after a 3,000 plus mile road trip back to Missouri and to our BNNTA VW camping weekend! His only issue was a occasionally fickle hi-beam switch.

Okay, back to the Double-Cab progress. The VW 36 hp factory rebuilt "exchange" motor is pretty much all ready to go, I just wanted to rebuild the factory exchange 28 PCI carburetor as it has been sitting on dealership or on a collectors shelf for well over 40 years. The carb is all apart and I notice that I'll need one of those tiny threaded brass port "plugs" used on Transporter carbs to block the vacuum port since Buses of this era use centrifugal advance distributors.

Below is a photo of a "threaded port plug" installed in the vacuum port:

Here is what the little bastard should look like removed!

My refreshed VW dealership "exchange" engine didn't come with one as it was unknown in advance whether a dealership would be installing the 36hp "exchange" motor in a vacuum-advance Beetle or a centrifugal-advance Transporter. So if anyone has an extra of these little threaded plugs in an old 28 PCI carb, I'd be happy to buy one (or even two) from you. I need to properly plug this vacuum port on the carb.

Although it was clean and unused since the Hannover rebuild so long ago, I tore down the carb and soaked it in my old (as in at least 25 year old) bucket of carb cleaner solution. I probably should buy some new stuff, but I'll bet the EPA has toned-down the active ingredients in that stuff by now. The only thing I couldn't get apart was the brass jet seen in the top surface of the bottom half of the carb.

I pre-soaked it, used a proper tight-fitting screwdriver and everything, but it wouldn't give for anything, and try as I may, I was starting to strip the brass head in it's bore, so I quit trying. I will flush the shit out of the entire carb and it's passages with a can or two of aerosol carb cleaner and then re-assemble.

You should feel the tight bore and fit of the throttle shaft in this factory rebuilt carb, perfect!!! And the rubber fuel diaphragm in the carb body was fresh and pliable, so it will be re-installed too. Otherwise all new gaskets will be installed.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: pp Reply with quote

ed fall should have those plugs...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: pp Reply with quote

p horvath wrote:
ed fall should have those plugs...

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give him a pm...

Work will stop for a while on the DC as my vacation starts next week, and I'll be out in PHX visiting Roy and to attend my first Jerome Jamboree. I've been given the honor of driving the ABC "Raffle Bus" to the event, and I'll be camping in it too. On Sunday morning I'll pull my shit out of it and it will be raffled off to some happy ticket holder (hopefully me?). Like many others, I'm buying a fistful of raffle tickets (they are only sold to attendees, event winner must be present to win).

Then the vacation continues the next weekend too as I'll be driving an old VW with others from the S.F. Bay Area roundtrip to the Solvang Vintage weekend. I hope to see and meet many of you during the two weekends! If you see me, please come up and introduce yourself! The problem with "avatars" on these discussion group sites is you don't get to know folks real names or pictures. That is mainly why every time that I write on here, I sign my name. So say hi!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy Your vacation bill u have been working too hard on this beautiful double cab. Enjoy your time away and u should be refreshed when ya get back at it. Still looking good ps love the soap dispenser u had at bnnta those look pretty darn cool. Paul Razz
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoagy86 wrote:
Enjoy Your vacation bill u have been working too hard on this beautiful double cab. Enjoy your time away and u should be refreshed when ya get back at it. Still looking good ps love the soap dispenser u had at bnnta those look pretty darn cool. Paul Razz

You mean these? Yeah, Tom Janiszewski, our graphics guy for the BNNTA events always adds the extra touch of making up special sized "Clean livin" labels and stickering a few new bottles of hand soap and sticking them in all the bathrooms during the long camping weekend. A nice touch! Thanks again Tom!

Last year he featured the "under-construction" Double-Cab, and this year for the 29th event he featured the 23 window Deluxe that Bob Van Heyst loaned me in Europe to haul Brian & Carson Holcomb and Tom J. around in for a few weeks. Next year I've got to get myself off that label, who knows what Tom will come up with next for the 30th event? Anyone who has seen me lately can tell you I am not that "ripped"! Far from it!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been about a month now since I have put any serious time in on the old '59 Double-Cab. I had to stop in mid-August and organize and prepare for the BNNTA camping weekend that I host over Labor Day weekend. Then afterward I flew several AA work trips and then went away on a two week VW vacation out of town. I was invited to attend the 24th Jerome Jamboree (my first time) and was honored to drive and stay in the "raffle Bus" that the ABC gives away. Then I flew out to the SF Bay Area to attend the then upcoming GGCVVWCA Solvang Vintage Meet weekend and then home and back to my flying job. Busy, busy, busy!

So today I got back in the garage to touch and play with the DC. I adjusted a few items I'd been meaning to get to, and then installed the 36hp 180mm clutch disc and pressure plate I have. The motor is very close to being finished and ready to install. Here are a few shots of the current condition of this 36hp "VW exchange" motor. As you can see, I've installed most of the powder-coated engine tin and lower heater channels and heater boxes. Everything is as "stock" as I can get it! I'll need to find a correct sized fan belt in my stash (or order up one).

The engine is actually hung on a VW dealership engine stand, and the red milk cartons are there just to back-up and brace the engine from below, they can be removed when needed to spin the engine upside down if needed. Basically I need to finish the rebuild of the VW "exchange" 28PCI carb and install and adjust a few things, and then I can plug this beautiful stock motor into the DC. I have the next few days off, so I may make some more progress amid housework and other distractions...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill is read your article on the November 2014 issue of the hot vw's. Cool story on the installation of the wood slats! Two thumbs up!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 45

Jump to: