Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you cheked the lenght of the fuelpump user rod as that can also shorten due to years and years of wear.
-73 411 variant all metal custom
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-89 vanagon camper conversion matkaaja
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about that, and when I had it apart to inspect the diaphragm a week ago (read comments on page 37), I seem to remember measuring it at approximately 104mm. Anyone certain how long it should be? So if it is supposed to be 105mm long or something then that might account for some of the lack of fuel pressure.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched and this thread (and others I found) say 108mm:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45462
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everett,

I tried to get on that link provided within the "fuel pump length" discussion thread you provided and couldn't. A bit earlier in that thread someone referred to the 1600 vertical pump as having a 108mm long pump rod (if I remember correctly, these 1200-thru 1600 pump rods have tapered end on one point).

The 36bhp fuel pump rods don't have any taper to either end, and one end has a slight convex or domed end - which must face the distributor drive I'm using a horizontal style 36bhp pump, and I'm not sure of the length of a pump rod for a 36mm, seemed like I remember 105mm for some reason? The one on this VW exchange program fuel pump and 36bhp motor is about 104mm long. The mystery continues...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you got it psyched out.

Odd that you could drive around your neighborhood but not get idle fuel if it were starving. Plus, even with no fuel pump, a bowl of fuel will idle quite awhile.

No matter what length fuel rod you think you have:
BulliBill wrote:
Then I mounted the SST tool in place of the fuel pump to check for correct rod stroke. Ahh haaa! It was a little off, so I added two more gaskets to get the stroke back within the correct stroke range.
thiis measurement tells you the rod is correct.

I'd pop the line where it goes into the carb and crank it into a safe can a bunch to see what's coming out.

BulliBill wrote:
Without shutting the flow off, the needle in the tool's gauge is erratic pulsing with the fuel pump stroke, when the fuel flow is briefly shut off the needle smoothes out.
This is also strange. After 1000-3000rpm range, at idle, it should briefly settle down as though it were a dead end. To me, another sign of fuel getting past the needle. Does your fresh oil smell gassy?

If you got an improvement by raising the pressure then you probably are right about it starving. I'd let it die and pop off the carb top to see for sure.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, forgot we were talking about 36hp engines here.

As far as I know, the 36hp fuel pump rod is 104mm.

I posted it was 104mm here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4413233#4413233
I also see it posted here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6356953#6356953
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't remove any more gaskets, I guess the only way to get a little more pressure is to stretch the spring in the pump body out a little. But I'm basically at the required minimum pressure level now.

You are currently running at about 1.2psi. You could check the thickness of another fuel pump block. If the same surface it on a sander a little. This will change the effective length of the pushrod, might even need to add a gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, that's a pretty good idea, just a little sanded off. I was gonna dig through a few other 36bhp fuel pump rods and see if any were a shade longer. I have about eight spare used and new blocks, so I'll do some measuring first! Seems like I'm at the minimum of the pressure range (that is "if" the old dealership tool gauge is still accurate). Just a little boost in pressure might do the trick. I still need to investigate whether or not there is any minor obstruction of fuel flow from the tank filter sock, the fuel tap, the aftermarket clear plastic (made in Israel) fuel filter...

I'm hosting BNNTA again (for the 30th time!) this upcoming holiday weekend, so I may have to cut bait on this repair. The good news is that I WILL be taking the DC to the BNNTA event and debuting it there! A buddy loaned me his truck and trailer to haul it there and back. I hate the idea of trailering, but this DC is not ready for a 120 mile one way run as the fuel system is right now. My main priority is running this event for all the attendees, so getting this DC (driving it there) plus two of my other Buses there is secondary. In this rare case for me, trailering it is the compromise solution. We'll unload it there and drive it around all weekend...

It looks sooooo bitchen'!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning! Still a couple of parts left.
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candy dipped in glaze, makes me want to take a bite.
ThorBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Congrats to You Bill!

Hosting 30 Busses Nowhere Near the Arch events!

And of course getting this Sweet Crewcab to the event!

Job well done my friend!

Looking forward to the ride.

Seeya. Ted.
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Bill the DC looks great! Sorry I missed its re-debut... My bus developed a rod knock 2/3 of the way to the event and I had to abort....
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:
Wow Bill the DC looks great! Sorry I missed its re-debut... My bus developed a rod knock 2/3 of the way to the event and I had to abort....

Bummer! Someone relayed the bad news to me and I was bummed indeed! I hope it isn't as bad as it initially sounds, and I have my fingers crossed for you. Save that case if at all possible Kent!

I was so busy during my 30th BNNTA camping event that I never touched a camera or even my cell phone camera. I've got nothing to show that I got the DC there, so if you were there and you've got photos from the event, please post 'em up. By the way, to end your suspense, I had to compromise. The DC fuel delivery issues weren't quite fully resolved, so I wasn't going to attempt to drive it at highway speed for 2 hours with only 40 miles on the motor, no f'in way... It was either leave it behind in the garage or tow or trailer it up to the event. So to debut it last weekend a friend loaned me his truck/trailer and the "new" old girl got to have a coming out party after all! We drove her around at the Lake all weekend, and she's tucked away again in the garage to await more tuning/diagnosis... Thanks again to Pat Hoffman for the trailer loan! Great shot Ted! By the way, I owe you some riding time Ted, get over here!

I'll look forward to a few more photos from some of you who finally met the DC for the first time last weekend.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to make BNNTA to see your DC... I didn't get my bus back until the Thursday before. So no go this year! Hopefully I get to see your DC in person next year.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy. Your splitty turned out be one of the best and most awesome crew cabs around. Congrats buddy.
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks "DONGKG" for the compliments! When you coming by for a ride?

I thought I'd add a few more photos of even more NOS goodies that I'd been saving for this Bus actually being liberated from their 40-50 year slumber inside their cool NOS VW boxes. Just before we took off for our BNNTA camping event, I broke these out...

I bought this set of NOS VW round Transporter mirrors way back around 1990 or so from Bob Scott himself of Vintage Parts for some future project. Damn! I wish I had bought two pairs back then! I've been storing them all this time and decided they needed to get a new home on this Double-Cab. I will have to take the bare-metal clamps off again and paint them Dove Blue.

And it was also time to break this NOS treat out of it's old-school VW box and install it to the new wiring harness!

Now that looks much better! NOS trip odometer speedometer and NOS commercial vehicle black horn button!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Now that looks much better! NOS trip odometer speedometer and NOS commercial vehicle black horn button!

Zowie, does it ever. Just think how succulent it will be with that red arrow flashing.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing of beauty, it surely is! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Thanks "DONGKG" for the compliments! When you coming by for a ride?

I thought I'd add a few more photos of even more NOS goodies that I'd been saving for this Bus actually being liberated from their 40-50 year slumber inside their cool NOS VW boxes. Just before we took off for our BNNTA camping event, I broke these out...

I bought this set of NOS VW round Transporter mirrors way back around 1990 or so from Bob Scott himself of Vintage Parts for some future project. Damn! I wish I had bought two pairs back then! I've been storing them all this time and decided they needed to get a new home on this Double-Cab. I will have to take the bare-metal clamps off again and paint them Dove Blue.

And it was also time to break this NOS treat out of it's old-school VW box and install it to the new wiring harness!

Bill
thanks buddy. If God permits me and my wife might visit my sister and cousins in San Diego California and may be (may be) I will pm you and arrange a meet up and a cool ride in you bus. Those NOS parts are cool and I can say that those NOS parts were kept for quite a long time and intended to be installed on your double cab bill. Cool one.
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I also broke out another NOS goodie for the DC. I had a few nice used ones, but "what the hell"! I installed an NOS battery cover.

If I remember correctly, the metal battery tie-down strap is NOS also. I'm glad I saved all of these goodies for so many years, because now I get to unwrap 'em and give 'em a new purpose on this old DC.

I'm still on vacation, and it's been all about the VW's so far! Back on Sept 4-7th I hosted my 30th BNNTA camping weekend, then last weekend I flew out to LAX to enjoy the Kimball's "SoCal VW Treffen" weekend with lots of buddies, and now today I'll hop on another plane to fly to PHX and join Roy Jonas and the ABC for their 25th "Jerome Jamboree" camping weekend near Sedona. Melissa Jess has asked me to drive, camp in and enjoy "Elvis", the J.J. raffle Bus that she and Jerry (R.I.P.) won a few years back. Thanks Melissa! I'll see some of you soon!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 45

Jump to: