Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring loaded pushrod tubes?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggy27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Spring loaded pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

Ok.... Here is the skinny.

I have really leaky pushrod tubes on my 85 vanagon 1.9 wbx. I see that mant folks on here have purchased the spring loaded ones from CB performance. I am looking to do the same.

My questions regarding this are:

1) which end goes where...LOL. It looks like the the spring end goes towards the head, but there are no definitive directions regarding this.

2) Do I need to adjust my valves after doing this, or just put everthing back the way it was.

This motor runs like a champ, but is bleeding some esential fluids so I figured I better address these issues now.

Thanks for your responses in advance!
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are different sized ends. Small hole for small end, big hole for big end. Can't recall which way they went in offhand...

-No valve adjusting.
-Oil the seals and Orings on the new tubes if they are dry to help them seal and prevent damage when sliding in the tube.
-Check the Pushrods are straight when you pull them out. Not expensive to replace if bent and a bent one will affect valve action.
-Put the same push rod back in the same hole in the same orientation. Not critical but good practice AFAIK.
-Make SURE your pushrods are properly seated (a bit tricky when putting everything back together). It is very easy to have them hang up on the edge of the cup and not set down in properly. Turn the engine over by hand before you restart to make sure nothings'a binding. If it's really tough to turn check your pushrods again because one or more aren't seated. Then try turning it over. If it doesn't crank easy stop immediately because they're still not seated.
-Replace the valve cover gaskets while you are there. If they're not leaking now it's just a matter of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayz da shitz Very Happy
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Dayz da shitz Very Happy

Whacha talkin' 'bout Willis?

Are you trying to say they're "the shizzle", meaning GOOD Very Happy

Or that they are "da shitz" which I believe roughly translated would be "the shits" meaning BAD Crying or Very sad

Or maybe "da shitz" is "the shit"? Meaning good? Very Happy

Just wondering as I have a full set under my rig right now and curious if it will just explode in my driveway, sending push rod tube fragments all over the neighbourhood (or " 'hood" if that's what you're comfortable with). Den I be like "who dat tryn' a pop a cap in my ass now...Shieet, das my veedub fool...Shoulda flipped out does muthaf***in' gas lines fo shu".

Word homeboy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good Laughing
I dont use the stock ones any longer.
I love all the colors available to.

So much for ebonics Laughing
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a relief! I'll feel much more comfortable rollin' wif my homies in my G-ride. Wink
Buggy27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. This information will make the job abit easier.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: