Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket seats in a Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Jbeverly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket seats in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have done the searches on seat replacements but most of the image links seem to be out of date. I considered switching my seats to newer Eurovan seats but wanted something darker/black in color. I would love to put something like this in:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-SP-Type-Suede-PVC-Leath...416c3cccc7

but have questions about the "Universal sliders" matching up with the swivel seat base rails? Can I simply unscrew the rails from my existing seats and screw them into the bottom of the new seats? Has anyone done anything similar to this?
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I put a sweet set or Recaro in mine, just need to cut the runners off of a donor set of vanagon seats and screw to the bottom of the Recaro. Also weld a washer on to the base to take the factory adjusting lever. They look factory and are so comfy. I liked them so much I put a set in the back. One or both can easily be removed for camping.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckyphil wrote:
Hi
I put a sweet set or Recaro in mine, just need to cut the runners off of a donor set of vanagon seats and screw to the bottom of the Recaro. Also weld a washer on to the base to take the factory adjusting lever. They look factory and are so comfy. I liked them so much I put a set in the back. One or both can easily be removed for camping.

Gorgeous! Nice fabrics/patterns too. And looks like you re-did your door panels as well?

If you know the model of seat, and any pics of how you mounted things up, that would be excellent. For ecample, you don't seem to have a pop-top or swivel-seats (originally), so not sure if that would make a difference?
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment. The seats are Recaro LX however they came out of a Mitsubishi RVR 1998 model. I got them from Ebay. Yes the door cards have been re trimmed. The armrest is early vanagon and the chrome door trim is from a beetle. I glued the chrome strip on cause the self adhesive tape on the back of it would not stick, came up real nice. Will take a pic of the underside of the seat tomorrow and post. No swivel needed as the recaro is easily removed and put back on the runners in reverse. Only takes 10 seconds. This model is called a Caravelle GL in Australia, and was originally a 7 seater. Have it lowered 60mm and Koni's all round so handles real well. Would love to put one of those Golf 1.8 T engines in though Smile
Jbeverly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! Your seats look great and that's pretty much the look that I'm aiming for (at least for the front). If you could post pics of how you attached the rails...that would be great
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge assortment of Recaro's to choose from, and prices to match.

Gowesty sells 'em, about 3,000 for the pair Wink
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3779&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Or.... you can find them regularly on c/list.

I picked up a pair locally, for 180 for the pair, pristine condition.
Identical to these:

Saw another set just like these about a week ago in the Arizona c'list, 150 for the pair.

VERY comfortable.

Here's a pretty detailed explanation of how the above seats were mounted:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...;start=120
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40

Last edited by levi on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nice set of used Recaro's from GoWesty a couple of years ago for $1800 delivered. It would be worth shooting Lucas an email and seeing what's available.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket seats in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Jbeverly1 wrote:
Hi everyone,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-SP-Type-Suede-PVC-Leath...416c3cccc7

but have questions about the "Universal sliders" matching up with the swivel seat base rails? Can I simply unscrew the rails from my existing seats and screw them into the bottom of the new seats? Has anyone done anything similar to this?

Back on topic.

Call around your area for a shop that sells "sport race seats".. and does installs in the little fast-n-furious rockets in your town.

Go in and have a seat in a couple different types.

My own experience, several yrs ago, is that many of thsese seats have minimal padding. The quality of the product is just "OK"... and if you have a matured body they might be incredibly uncomfortable after about 30 mins in the saddle.

You won't know til you try.

Watch out for tall side bolsters in thses sport seats, too.. as it will make climbing into and out of your seat a chore...

The universal sldiers will add height to the seat and place you butt and, in turn, your head higher relative to the van's ceiling.

Where there is a will, there is a way.. and many seats can be retrofitted into a Vanagon.. You will have to make sacrifices in many cases. Seats too wide, too tall, no arm rests, etc.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Jetta/Golf Mk2 seats? Reply with quote

Anybody know what the fitment of Jetta/Golf Mk2 seats would be like into a Vanagon? Do the rails match up, or close-enough with a little trim (like Eurovan seats), or unbolt/bolt-on rails, or ...

(i'm not strong with the search, seats and Jetta or mk2 or golf didn't get me much useful)

Specifically interested in the context of a full westy with swivels.

And partly because I like the look (but not price) of these seats: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/3620498857.html
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those seats that I posted just above are mk2 seats, and the link I posted with it about installation
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Those seats that I posted just above are mk2 seats, and the link I posted with it about installation

Thanks for clarifying Levi. Post just said recaro, and I didn't follow the link (yet). I'm off!
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the recaros that I've been looking for. Just picked them up. Looks and feels awesome. Once I hit the lotto I will buy the armrest.

Last edited by whynotvw on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever actually sit in some of those cheap racing seats? Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-RECLINABLE-RACING-SEAT...mp;vxp=mtr

There are a bunch of styles and colors of cloth and vinyl available around the $250 price range including shipping, although real leather is much more expensive. I know you get what you pay for but I wonder how bad seats like this would be. My mom just spent $800 or so just to recover her front seats with new foam from sewfine. They look good but that's a lot of $$
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Just picked these recaros. Looks and feels awesome. Once I hit the lotto I will buy the armrest.

looks great. Two questions:
1. What model are these?
2. how much more are the armrests?
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
whynotvw wrote:
Just picked these recaros. Looks and feels awesome. Once I hit the lotto I will buy the armrest.

looks great. Two questions:
1. What model are these?
2. how much more are the armrests?

I have two different ones. The driver seat is LXF (gowesty) and the passenger is LXW. ( the seat base is 2 and half inches longer) for taller people. I bought the one LXF couple years ago for $50 and I've been waiting for a long time to find the other one or something similar. I picked these LXW in mint condition for $500.

I tried the LXW on the driver side but it wasn't as comfortable as the LXF. The rule of thumb is LXW is good for people that are 6ft and taller.

The armrests are $225 each and you need four obviously. Its also nice that you can fold the seat to access the battery area and it reclines all the way.

As far as comfort WOW is the word. Look incredible and very comfortable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, there's an armrest on ebay for your driver seat right now...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
FYI, there's an armrest on ebay for your driver seat right now...

Thanks, I saw that one but its cloth not leather. I didn't use the armrest that much on the og seats. I'll just take my time looking for the right one.

Can't wait for your fog lights.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
I tried the LXW on the driver side but it wasn't as comfortable as the LXF. The rule of thumb is LXW is good for people that are 6ft and taller.

Does this mean you have a 2nd LXW that isn't being used (because you're still doing an LXF for driver's side)??? I imagine there are folks who would LOVE your spare LXW (assuming you have one) Rolling Eyes
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Finally got the recaros that I've been looking for. Just picked them up. Looks and feels awesome. Once I hit the lotto I will buy the armrest.

I see the seat still has a hold of your wallet! Laughing
I have the LS with arm rests and love them. You can modify a set of stock seat sliders to work with these seats and get them mounted as low as you can in the van.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
Jbeverly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango Conversions wrote:
Anyone ever actually sit in some of those cheap racing seats? Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-RECLINABLE-RACING-SEAT...mp;vxp=mtr

There are a bunch of styles and colors of cloth and vinyl available around the $250 price range including shipping, although real leather is much more expensive. I know you get what you pay for but I wonder how bad seats like this would be. My mom just spent $800 or so just to recover her front seats with new foam from sewfine. They look good but that's a lot of $$

My thoughts exactly! I've been sitting on 30+ year old seats with non-existent padding. These eBay seats couldn't possibly be any worse and I think it's worth the $250 to find out. I just put a bid on a similar eBay pair...hope to have them installed in the next couple weeks and will post up pics.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: