Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Seal - wrong one?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Windshield Seal - wrong one? Reply with quote

I just went to start the install of a new windshield, and the seal I had purchased a few months back looks like it's perhaps for a bug or something. It measures roughly ~43"x12", whereas the windshield at the top measures some ~52" across and then 17" down if I remember right.

Am I crazy, or do the windshield seals stretch that much to go around the windshield?!

This is for the '70.

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seal won't stretch that much. You should be able to lay the seal around the edge of the window.
Here's my post on another site, scroll own you can see my seal on the window...
http://www.dasvolks.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=67673#p67673

And step by step shots of the rear window here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6513608#6513608

Last edited by obnoxiousblue on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIke, huge thanks.

BUmmer, it's the wrong seal. I guess I'll give BusDepot a shout and see if I can swap it.

Thanks again,

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. My seals were from Bus Depot too. Quality is nice, but I had wanted to get one of the windshield seals with the extended "apron" on the bottom. I just couldn't remember where I had seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heisenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Sure thing. My seals were from Bus Depot too. Quality is nice, but I had wanted to get one of the windshield seals with the extended "apron" on the bottom. I just couldn't remember where I had seen it.

obnoxiousblue, did you ever figure out where the windshield seal with the wider extended "apron" on the bottom? I just ordered another one from BD - their "BEST" German made, and is it just like the first one I ordered - fits well, but does not hide the original paint line on the bottom.

Any help/source for buying would be appreciated.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't, and not for lack of looking.
I remember it being a "thing" a few years back that this seal had a skirt/apron along the bottom that extended down the cowl maybe another 1/8 or so.
Heisenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I am going to call around tomorrow (Mid America) to see if they have a wider seal than the "Top of the Line" OEM German seal that I just bought from Bus Depot (it is the same size as the one the I bought from Wolfsburg West).

When I replaced my windshield, I had to do a bit of rust repair on the front ledge. The old seal that I took off (actually cut off) was about 1 1/4" wide (from center slit where glass slides in to the outer edge).

The one I that just came in today from BD is 1 1/8" and does not hide the old paint line where the PO did some work. Would love to be able to cover the old blemishes and the ledge repair (not rust, just different paint color).

Will let you know what I find out...
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time. We were the ones who had them, way back when. We got them from VW Mexico, but unfortunately they went obsolete several years ago and that was that. This is a year-and-a-half old thread that just got revived. Even when the thread was fresh they were already long gone.

Of course we do have the genuine OEM German windshield seal (with the stock profile), as well as a weld-in metal repair section for under the windshield so you can repair the damage itself.

Last edited by Busdepot on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I I got my seal from BD today. It looks so nice compared to the old crusty seal that's on there now. Definitely something I'll have to have installed professionally.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Heisenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Don't waste your time. We were the ones who had them, way back when. We got them from VW Mexico, but unfortunately they went obsolete several years ago and that was that. This is a year-and-a-half old thread that just got revived. Even when the thread was fresh they were already long gone.

Of course we do have the genuine OEM German windshield seal (with the stock profile), as well as a weld-in metal repair section for under the windshield so you can repair the damage itself.

Thanks Ron. The seal that arrived yesterday from you all does look nicer. I will give it a shot this weekend, as it does appear to be 1/8" wider. I appreciate the good service from Bus Depot, and have always been pleased with your products.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year ago, I purchased a windshield seal from BD, part number 211.845.1210, made in Brazil, April 2012. It was for my 1973 bus, but sat on the shelf until last week, when my new windshield was installed on my 1977 bus by the glass guy. It is a perfect fit, formed well and was an easy install. The install guy told me it was better quality than what he is usually furnished. I cannot say anything about the skirt or length covering paint lines, et. al., because I had repaired all the rust on my windshield frame and repainted the white area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
I purchased a windshield seal from BD, part number 211.845.121D, made in Brazil. It sat on the shelf until last week, when my new windshield was installed by the glass guy. It is a perfect fit, formed well and was an easy install. The install guy told me it was better quality than what he is usually furnished.

That's our aftermarket one. Our OE German one is even better. We offer both so you can decide which suits your needs and budget. You can find them on this page (which also shows a diagram and part numbers for most other Bus seals):
http://www.busdepot.com/details/busrubber/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a metal graft and then replaced the windscreen and the seal with a German seal. I spent about a year chasing a persistent leak that developed after the work was done. I found that the replacement window is micrometers thinner than the original and even the best seals allow water to get between thin glass and the rubber.
Any ideas for a work around, Ron?
Heisenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Found the wider windshield seal... Thanks to Frank Reply with quote

Well, called Mid America on Monday and Frank answered the phone again (Frank is the super-informed fellow that found the correct 42mm cargo panels for my bus).

Told him I was looking for a wider windshield rubber seal; one that measured more than 1 1/8" or more from the glass insert line to the outer line. He called back and told me that the OEM one was under 1 1/8" and that the lower cost reproduction seal was the one that I needed.

It arrived today and, as promised, it is exactly the seal that I have been searching for. It measures 1 1/2" and will cover up the old paint lines that are now showing from when I put my new windshield in with a Wolfsburg West OEM seal.

I will post photos soon. Having a new custom perforated headliner put in soon, and when they take out my windshield for the headliner install, I will place the the new wider seal on the windshield and will take some before and after photos.

Thanks again to Frank at Mid America - my cargo floor project will also soon be underway (man, I need more time and money). Again, will post before, during, and after photos.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
I did a metal graft and then replaced the windscreen and the seal with a German seal. I spent about a year chasing a persistent leak that developed after the work was done. I found that the replacement window is micrometers thinner than the original and even the best seals allow water to get between thin glass and the rubber.
Any ideas for a work around, Ron?

That's a new one on me. I've used replacement glass a number of times before (although not within the last few years) and never had a problem. I can't be sure but I'd imagine there are probably only a couple of factories (if that) supplying the Bus windshields sold at all auto glass places. (Not enough demand for many factories to be making them.) So if current production aftermarket windshields are too thin and won't seal properly like you suggest, this issue would be widespread. I'd say to poke around the Samba etc. and see if others are reporting the same issue. If not, you may not have found the true cause of the problem.

Last edited by Busdepot on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what may be going on here is that everyone is assuming the windshield seal they have now is original when it may have been replaced somewhere in the last 40 years.

This is the scenario I am thinking:

Bus made and VW puts in seal
Windshield is replaced with seal that is slightly wider
Bus is re-painted
New seal is installed that is original in size but it is too narrow
Heisenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed it SGKent. That is EXACTLY what has happened. I purchased a new windshield (sans the tint stripe) because the windshield that was in Stella had a "BB gun" hole.

It was a replacement window, so you are right. When they installed that windshield, they used a wider rubber seal. The PO was too lazy to remove all of the seals for the repaint (uggh) and the older color/repair was now in plain view.

So, when I ordered the OEM seal, it would not hide/cover the PO's work. Luckily, I found the wider seal at Mid America.

Should have some good before and after photos up soon. Oh, also replaced passenger side rear window and the new seal was so dang tight AND smaller in width on the inside. What a bear to put in...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: