Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Museum warehouse find in PA (original Herbie movie car)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaker breaker. I've got my ears on little buddy.

Weird that you didn't get my emails before. Glad to finally get in touch with you tonight. Very cool to know another mini Herbie survived!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd pass this info along. I've been working with Mattel for the last year helping with a future Herbie release for their collector's line Hot Wheels Elite. The first release will feature Herbie from The Love Bug. It will be released in both 1:18 and 1:43 scale. This model will be pretty detailed, and pretty accurate as far as Herbie toys are concerned. Look for a Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo version to be released after this one! The following are pics of The Love Bug release...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a spy shot taken recently at a toy show showing the "under construction" Monte Carlo variation. If anything, the finished product available to the public will be even better and more detailed than the car pictured below.

bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do much collecting these days anymore, but those are both items I would have KILLED to have owned when I was younger...and I just may have to own them once they're released. lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I could be persuaded to get one, too.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wholeheartedly agree with you. As a kid I was never content with a generic die cast and hand painted stripes. Now as a 37 year old, it was kinda cool to be involved in making "the Herbie model I always wanted but never had" as a kid...

Also, I will say this... I put a little "Easter egg" in each car. A nod to the fans. Something that only people who have seen the movies would truly "get." The one for the Love Bug version is in the pics above. I'll leave the MC one a secret for now...
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:
Wholeheartedly agree with you. As a kid I was never content with a generic die cast and hand painted stripes. Now as a 37 year old, it was kinda cool to be involved in making "the Herbie model I always wanted but never had" as a kid...

Also, I will say this... I put a little "Easter egg" in each car. A nod to the fans. Something that only people who have seen the movies would truly "get." The one for the Love Bug version is in the pics above. I'll leave the MC one a secret for now...

Sliced up spare tire. Nice. Very Happy

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye man. Yep, we made a pizza out of it!
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back for a second glance, I'm floored at the level of detail in what's seen here... very very well done!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bugnut! I really appreciate it. It's been quite the process. We have had to make some compromises for cost and safety test sake, but I'm pleased with the results. Just having something with the proper looking numbers was a dream come true. We took as much as we could from my original and shrunk it down for this model's accuracy. This model is going to be an officially licensed product from both Disney and Volkswagen. So that's cool too.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any hints as to release dates and prices? I hope the Monte Carlo version has the Carello driving lamp, but with the level of detail I see in that "under construction" pic, I can't imagine it would be left off. Depending on prices, I would be satisfied to get the 1/43 version, although the bigger one would be ideal.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be a very proper Monte Carlo Herbie without the Carello!

The Carello is actually there in the other pic too but the reflection is in the way. We are gonna tweak the alignment and hopefully make the back half chrome for a little more realism. Other MC only features will include the cowl mounted antenna, racing gas cap, Trans France decals, and highback racing seats!

The Love Bug car is supposed to be released this spring sometime. Hopefully the MC version will be out by summers end. These models aren't cheap. I believe the 1:18 versions will retail around $160 and the 1:43 versions about half that, but with a lot less detail too.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang... I figured over a hundred for the big ones, but had no idea they'd be that steep. The details are outstanding, no question.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're super nice looking but sheesh.....$160?
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I'd likely buy one or the other... just couldn't afford both of 'em. lol. It would be completely worth it to have one of those babies, though. No question.
bluebeetle1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they be a world-wide release....?

June 1957 "Big Window" Oval Beetle! Yes it does really exist....
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absolutely. This model will be available worldwide I'm told. It's from the Hot Wheels Elite line, which is headquartered in Italy...
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely like the Monte Carlo model. I'll be looking out for it when it comes out later.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates as to when these models will be released?
Heathejj97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just about cried seeing this, truly amazing Smile i can only imagine the sound of my favorite movie star in real life
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: