TheSamba.com
>Help  >Donate  >Buy Shirts  >Register  >Log in See all Samba banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com

cold weather brake fluid leak
Forum Index -> Vanagon/Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: cold weather brake fluid leak Reply with quote

I store my Vanagon for the winters, as I live in an area that can salt the roads when it snows. Anyway, every winter for the past 3 years, I find a large puddle of brake fluid on the floormat and the brake resevoir(sic) is empty. The master cylinder is still full, but of course, a couple of pumps on the brake pedal introduces air into the lines. 3 years ago, I checked it all out, concluded that it was the grommets between the resevoir(sic) and the master cylinder, ordered new ones from the Bus Depot, cleaned ,installed and bled, and good until the next spring. Same issue. I thought, possible improper rubber for grommets, so ordered new from a different source, Autohaus AZ. Same issue again, 2 winters ago. Pressure checked resevoir(sic), was fine. Replaced master cylinder and grommets with Italian brand from Autohaus AZ last spring thinking that maybe I couldn't clean it well enough, but went out last week to start de mothballing the van and the puddle was back. I cleaned up everything, decided to pour more brake fluid in the resevoir(sic) just to see what would happen, and no leaks this last week. I pretended that I was luke and did the search, saw that others had the problem but saw no definitive solution. By the way, it's an 86 tintop, and my 80 westfilia which is stored right in front if it suffers no similar maladies. It only seems to do it when it sits for a duration in the cold(it got down to 14 degrees 3 or 4 days this winter, mostly it is 20's to 30's here in the winter). Any Ideas? Thanks!
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: cold weather brake fluid leak Reply with quote

Autobox or manual?

Could be a slow weep past the clutch slave seals - if t'were brake, it'd go into the servo.
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a manual, I converted about 10 years ago. However, the port for the clutch master cyl. is about 1/3 the way up the resevoir(sic) and the resevoir(sic) actually drains all the way to the bottom. I did replace the clutch master and slave cyls. this last year, also, as the slave cyl. failed. Thanks, Tbob
rsxsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold temps and sitting never good for rubber seals. Could you have a pin hole in the resevoir? When you had the master off, did you look into the booster for brake fluid? Was the black paint lifting on the booster under the master? Brake regular brake fluid will eat paint. Sounds like you have a good mystery going. You may want to look up above the puddle to see if you can see where it is dripping from. Only so many places it can.
2011 TDI Jetta Sportwagen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon/Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: