Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

Guys, I just did a bunch of searching, and while there are a million thread about aux batteries, I didn't see a specific answer to this question -

I just removed my under the rear bench heater, and have TONS of space. If space was no issue - what is the best battery to use back there?

I have been using a Group 27 Wal-Mart battery (also under the rear seat), but it keeps dying every two years, so I'd like something that is actually quality.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by gregaz on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

How long a battery (or batteries) last is heavily determined by:

1. How far you discharge them.
2. How you charge them.
3. Maintenance and temperature.

That being said, you will get more amp hours running two batteries in parallel but their longevity will still be determined by the above.

I'll post a photo of my dual aux batteries under the bench later. They are Napa Group 65 AGM batteries. So far so good, but I've only had them about 1yr. They replaced DieHard Platinum group 65 AGM (NLA) which lasted about 3 years with lots of abuse. Embarassed
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

I still have my under-seat heater, but I used the Trojan SCS 200 deep cycle. It is a Group 27 physical size flooded lead-acid type.

I used the location under the Westfalia bench seat hard against the passenger side of that space. To fit that space, since the rear bulkhead is sloped, I had to lift the battery about 1.5" which I did using a piece of 2x8 lumber cut to fit. I also fabricated a sheet metal steel bracket to hold the battery in place and a top made from a kitchen cutting board to keep anything metal from accidentally shorting against the terminals. This battery has been quite good for me.

This location was chosen because:

1. it counter-balances the driver's weight;
2. it allows for the Group 27 and, if you choose, a larger type also;
3. it is the closest location to the starter, which is where your AWG 1 cable should connect to get the least voltage drop to the alternator.

I would also recommend, if your engine is stock, installing an upgraded voltage regulator for the Vanagon alternator. (See this link: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Adjustable-Voltage-Re...lator.htm) The factory regulator puts out around 13.5 volts (IIRC) whereas the Trojan likes to be charged at 14.8 volts. If you choose this battery, fine, but if you choose another, get the manufacturer's specs for charging as these batteries all have differing charging regimes that the manufacturers have tested extensively.

Here are some pics of my installation and a link to the Trojan spec sheet for this SCS 200:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/SCS200_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

'Best' is somewhat subjective depending on how you plan to use it, but this is what I use:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Group-Size-24DC-Marine-Battery/20531540

Also made (though possibly n/a/ at W-M) are group 27 & 29.

Generally in that application I would think a deep cycle battery is a good choice. If what you have had bad luck with is a standard starting battery then repeated deep discharge may be what killed it.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

Depends on what your parameters are.

If you're looking to hang out for 3-7 days without having to start the van, and maybe you run a heater and have a fridge, you can't beat a pair of 6v golf cart batteries. $180 or so for the pair, heavy duty and you'll get more than 100ah of usable battery (assuming 50% depth of discharge). You can buy these at Costco, Walmart, or any battery supplier.

On our first van (fridge, interior lights and stereo) we went group 24dc, with 120w solar panel. That will pretty much run indefinitely because the fridge alone isn't a huge load, and the solar is more than sufficient.

On our current van (fridge, interior lights, stereo and espar heater) I went with a group 31dc and 100w (2 x 50w) of flexible panels (permanently installed). The heater adds a considerable amount of usage, and it's typically during the night, in the winter (low solar gain). With this setup we can go about 3 days without having to start the van. This is in the winter, using the heater (cycling) about 10 hours a day, with quite a big of light usage. In retrospect I would've forgone the solar and just gone with the dual golf cart batteries. It's cheaper, it's simpler, and [for us] it's rare that we'd stay somewhere for more than a week without starting the van and driving somewhere.

The golf cart batteries are also known to be "heavy duty" and used in small/medium sized PV installations. If they're cared for and not drawn below 50-60%, they can last anywhere from 5-10 years.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:

If you're looking to hang out for 3-7 days without having to start the van, and maybe you run a heater and have a fridge, you can't beat a pair of 6v golf cart batteries.

I have a Propex 2211 heater and an ARB50 fridge and way more amp hours in reserve than 100ah. I can only go 2-3 days max without a recharge (running the van or hooking up to solar or shore power) and that's only running the Propex for about 8hrs/night with an outside temp in the low 40s.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:

If you're looking to hang out for 3-7 days without having to start the van, and maybe you run a heater and have a fridge, you can't beat a pair of 6v golf cart batteries.

I have a Propex 2211 heater and an ARB50 fridge and way more amp hours in reserve than 100ah. I can only go 2-3 days max without a recharge (running the van or hooking up to solar or shore power) and that's only running the Propex for about 8hrs/night with an outside temp in the low 40s.

What do you set thermostat to? What batteries are you using? How are you monitoring state-of-charge?

Looks like the Propex uses quite a bit more power than the Espar - 1.4 amps continuous, even still at 8 hours/day you should be able to do 8 days with just the heater (assuming 100ah of usable capacity) The fridge supposedly uses about 25-30ah/day and the bummer is the more you use the heater, the more the fridge will cycle... During the 3 day test case I mentioned with ours, we kept the thermostat on the Espar around 60f to minimize the fridge running, and during the day it was quite cold so we managed to keep total usage around 20ah or so a day.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:

What do you set thermostat to? What batteries are you using? How are you monitoring state-of-charge?

Looks like the Propex uses quite a bit more power than the Espar - 1.4 amps continuous, even still at 8 hours/day you should be able to do 8 days with just the heater (assuming 100ah of usable capacity) The fridge supposedly uses about 25-30ah/day and the bummer is the more you use the heater, the more the fridge will cycle... During the 3 day test case I mentioned with ours, we kept the thermostat on the Espar around 60f to minimize the fridge running, and during the day it was quite cold so we managed to keep total usage around 20ah or so a day.

Although my Propex 2211 thermostat isn't digital, I'd say it works out to be low 60s. Below are photos of my under bench aux battery set-up, Napa group 65 AGM batteries complete with model number (75Ah each), and the meter I use to monitor battery consumption. Yeah, I always laugh when I turn on my Propex realizing it will indeed cause my ARB fridge to cycle more. Laughing. Real life experience is 2-3 days max without recharging (solar, engine/driving, or shore power). With my 100W Renogy portable solar panel, I'm good without driving or shore power into perpetuity... given sunny skies. Very Happy .

mugford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

I'm also using a Propex and an Arb 50 but rather than have them fight each other I'm creating an external
aux 12v power outlet so I can leave the fridge outside. More space inside as well. Anyone else doing this?

Brian
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:

Although my Propex 2211 thermostat isn't digital, I'd say it works out to be low 60s. Below are photos of my under bench aux battery set-up, Napa group 65 AGM batteries complete with model number (75Ah each), and the meter I use to monitor battery consumption. Yeah, I always laugh when I turn on my Propex realizing it will indeed cause my ARB fridge to cycle more. Laughing. Real life experience is 2-3 days max without recharging (solar, engine/driving, or shore power). With my 100W Renogy portable solar panel, I'm good without driving or shore power into perpetuity... given sunny skies. Very Happy .

So figuring for 50% depth of discharge, that means you've got 75ah usable capacity. The golf cart batteries are 200ah+ (100ah usable), so you'd have another 25ah with the golf carts and I'm guessing those AGM's were a lot more than $85 each.

Also might be worth upgrading to a shunt based meter like a Victron, which will track real usage and not be thrown off by load, etc. Voltage doesn't tell you all that much unless the battery is disconnected from all loads for 15 minutes or so. Being able to know where you stand depth of discharge wise means you can maximize your battery bank life by not discharging them too low.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

This would be my recommended aux battery setup:

6 volt golf cart batteries (200ah) - 2 x $100 = $200
Blue Seas mACR or ACR - $50-100
Blue Seas Fuse Block w/ Negative Bus - $50
Victron BMV-700 monitor with shunt - $175
Fuses, wiring, etc - $150

Total (roughly) - $675

You'd have a minimum of 100ah of capacity (50% depth of discharge), and a way to monitor and alert on that precisely.

Adding solar would be easy, but realistically most people probably wouldn't need to unless planning on spending 3+ days without running the engine, with significant loads (fridge, heater, etc)
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

Howesight - what is the blue ring around the terminals of the circuit breaker? did it come with that?

Howesight wrote:

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:

So figuring for 50% depth of discharge, that means you've got 75ah usable capacity. The golf cart batteries are 200ah+ (100ah usable), so you'd have another 25ah with the golf carts and I'm guessing those AGM's were a lot more than $85 each.

Also might be worth upgrading to a shunt based meter like a Victron, which will track real usage and not be thrown off by load, etc. Voltage doesn't tell you all that much unless the battery is disconnected from all loads for 15 minutes or so. Being able to know where you stand depth of discharge wise means you can maximize your battery bank life by not discharging them too low.

Good advice. My only concerns about the 6v golf cart batteries would be:

1. Would they fit under the bench?
2. Hydrogen gas in an enclosed space.
3. Charge time.
4. Maintenance.

Some more interesting relative info:

Comparison with flooded lead–acid cells:

VRLA Gel and AGM batteries offer several advantages compared with VRLA flooded lead acid and conventional standard lead-acid batteries. The battery can be mounted in any position, since the valves only operate on over-pressure faults. Since the battery system is designed to be recombinant and eliminate the emission of gases on overcharge, room ventilation requirements are reduced, and no acid fume is emitted during normal operation. Flooded cell gas emissions are of little consequence in all but the smallest confined areas, and pose very little threat to a domestic user, so a wet cell battery designed for longevity gives lower costs per kWh. In a gel battery, the volume of free electrolyte that could be released on damage to the case or venting is very small. There is no need (or ability) to check the level of electrolyte or to top up water lost due to electrolysis, reducing inspection and maintenance requirements. Wet cell batteries can be maintained by a self-watering system or by topping up every three months. The requirement to add distilled water is normally caused by overcharging. A well-regulated system should not require top-up more often than every three months.

The underlying fault with all lead acid batteries is the requirement for an excessively long charge time arising from a two-stage process: bulk charge and float charge. All lead acid batteries, irrespective of type, are quick to charge to 70% of capacity within 2 or 3 hours, but require another 9 to 10 hours to "float charge" after the initial charge. If users fail to float charge, battery capacity is dramatically reduced. All types of batteries have a "memory" in that every time a user charges to less than 100% charge, battery capacity is shortened. A lead acid battery could reach 4,600 cycles if it were kept on a shelf and kept at the right state of charge. To ensure a life of 8 years, a lead acid battery should be kept at full charge when stored (or dry), and, when working, kept at depth of discharge of less than 20%. In addition, its discharge rate should be not more than three hours and its charge rate should be not more than three hours (C0.333), and it should be float charged properly. With less careful use, a lifetime of two to three years or 700-800 cycles might be expected, dependent upon the use environment.

Because of calcium added to its plates to reduce water loss, a sealed AGM or gel battery recharges more quickly than a flooded lead acid battery of either VRLA or conventional design. "From a standard car, 4WD or truck alternator they will recharge quickly from full use in about 2 to 3 hours. A deep cycle wet cell battery can take 8-12 hours to achieve only 70% to 80% of its potential charge." Compared to flooded batteries, VRLA batteries are more vulnerable to thermal run-away during abusive charging. The electrolyte cannot be tested by hydrometer to diagnose improper charging that can reduce battery life.

AGM automobile batteries are typically about twice the price of flooded-cell batteries in a given BCI size group; gel batteries as much as five times the price.

AGM & Gel VRLA batteries:

Have shorter recharge time than flooded lead-acid.
Cannot tolerate overcharging: overcharging leads to premature failure.
Have shorter useful life, compared to properly maintained wet-cell battery.
Discharge significantly less hydrogen gas.
AGM batteries are by nature, safer for the environment, and safer to use.
Can be used or positioned in any orientation.

iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:

Good advice. My only concerns about the 6v golf cart batteries would be:

1. Would the fit?
2. Hydrogen gas.

They definitely fit (good thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557610)

As far as I know the hydrogen is only a risk during overcharging, in a sealed container. The back seat is far from sealed, and your alternator should not be overcharging your batteries. The Victron does have a programmable alarm for an over-voltage condition though. If one was still concerned about it, putting a vent in under the seat would be pretty straightforward.

Charge time (to my mind) is really more of an issue if you're constantly discharging to 50% (3+ days stopped), and then only driving a short period and wanting to stop again for 3+ days. Those are the outliers, usually we're driving every day or every other day and haven't noticed any issues keeping the aux battery charged.

Maintenance with the golf cart batteries, in my experience at least, is pretty minimal. We ran our yurt offgrid on 8 golf cart batteries, and in 6 months I had to top the batteries up once. The level was nowhere near the plates, and probably could have gone another 6 months before "needing" a top up.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

mugford wrote:
I'm also using a Propex and an Arb 50 but rather than have them fight each other I'm creating an external
aux 12v power outlet so I can leave the fridge outside. More space inside as well. Anyone else doing this?

Brian

Under the right circumstances, yes. I created an extra cord that is longer so I can use it outside. The cord just goes thru the sliding door since the gasket is thick and does not pinch. I also made a cover out of sunbrella canvas for when it is outside and not actively being used.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

I like my extra storage space after removing the rear heater and I have a 160ah battery mounted under my sliding door and still have one under drivers seat. Very happy with it.
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

mtnride1 wrote:
I like my extra storage space after removing the rear heater and I have a 160ah battery mounted under my sliding door and still have one under drivers seat. Very happy with it.

Dang ... that's a lot of juice!!!
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

Mighty Max 200Ah 12v SLA AGM:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660592

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

^^^ That battery looks sweet! But 114 lbs Shocked !!!
How did you lift it under your bench seat without breaking a few fingers and throwing out your back?
How did you secure it?
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Aux Battery for Under Rear Seat with Heater Delete Reply with quote

My big fear is spending $350 and having it last a year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: