Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to my parents for spring break (wife is a teacher) I need to scavenge my donor cars for a gas tank, or atleast the sender, tail lights, maybe a steering colmn thats nicer, blinker relays and other electric crap I need. I have a 66Ghia that has a cherry balljoint beam on it I think I will grab, It has 5 lug hubs on it too so they will match the rims I bought. Don't worry, the ghia has terminal cancer and no title.

[/list]
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring break....those were the days....

I'm taking that week off too so I can watch my kids and maybe work some on the buggy, between crisis. The Ghia should have disk brakes, nice upgrade. Donor cars, plural, that will help a lot too. Sounds like a fun week ahead for both of us. Smile

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well got my donor parts, ghia gas tank with mechanical sender and gauge, Balljoint beam with 5 lug hubs. (I ordered new clearance ball joints, going to cut and turn the beam)

IRS trailing, short sway-away axles and spring plates (use late swing axle torsons) .

My wife almost has the shell sanded down and has a paint color picked out at the local auto parts store.

I was mocking up the ride height and fender clearance, The 2x4 between the shell and chassis is about where it will site with my bodylift I'm incorporating into the chassis. It will sit a touch higher after I cut and turn the front beam (and redo shock towers) and notch the rear so I can take mostly full advantage of my bus CV joints on the downward stroke since I will have to leave up travel stock due to the big tires. I'm not really looking for huge travel over bumps and stuff, just offroad capabilitys and some street manners. I cant decide weather or not to cut the swaybar off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Hogzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
well got my donor parts, ghia gas tank with mechanical sender and gauge, Balljoint beam with 5 lug hubs. (I ordered new clearance ball joints, going to cut and turn the beam)

IRS trailing, short sway-away axles and spring plates (use late swing axle torsons) .

My wife almost has the shell sanded down and has a paint color picked out at the local auto parts store.

I was mocking up the ride height and fender clearance, The 2x4 between the shell and chassis is about where it will site with my bodylift I'm incorporating into the chassis. It will sit a touch higher after I cut and turn the front beam (and redo shock towers) and notch the rear so I can take mostly full advantage of my bus CV joints on the downward stroke since I will have to leave up travel stock due to the big tires. I'm not really looking for huge travel over bumps and stuff, just offroad capabilitys and some street manners. I cant decide weather or not to cut the swaybar off.

Can anyone identify the body maker for this one? It looks just like the one we had when I was a kid.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys im back to work on this car. I have nailed down my goals and purpose. I did quite a bit today. Pics to come.

Purpose: all terrain vehicle, something you can jump in and drive a few hours, but if you see a river you wanna ride. Just pull off and go. Will also be used to chase pigs hunting. Kinda like a RZR and kinda like a jeep hybrid.
Goals: safely drive 70mph, ground clearance for offroading, suspension good enough to handle small bumps at speed (like chasing pigs through a field or grass), reliable enough for a road trip.

Basically i want it all! Im not going to spend a ton of money, but i don't think i need to. I have alot of the parts bought.
I build the floor of the chassis from new metal left over from old projects.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the pan to build my tube chassis on. This way i get and extra couple inches of ground clearance when i chop the pan off.
That was a pita. Hope whoever cut it down the first time did good keeping it straight.

I used some pretty heavy tube 1.5x2.5" its good thick wall. Should be a good ridgid base and give good side impact protection. I laid a piece of 1.5 inch .125 wall tube down the center of the chassis. I was surprised it felt lighter than the factory pan.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where im at. Still need to add some beam supports and work on the bottom side.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i can fit a Atv winch up front below the gas tank. Do yall think a 2500lb atv winch is enough?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you gonna run your shift linkage?
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using a bus trans, it would be above the tunnel. Im running a super shifter also.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a $50 2000# HF winch and it seems to have plenty of pulling power, geared low so it's also slow. Comes with a remote control key fob. I'll try to post a picture later.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you leave the VIN# unmolested????

Without that it might be difficult to get it registered unless going for custom built.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, thats why i left that ugly little piece of the tunnel in place. Im in kansas, so no inspection or anything since the title is kansas. Its kinda wierd though, title just says A 71 "Volk" but the VIN matches up.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- is there going to be additional chassis structure on the side rails or center tunnel? Current chassis pics look like a motorized & suspensioned extension ladder... Laughing

bryan
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I look for inspiration.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556247
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This originally came in "cool green camoflage" but I kept 'not seeing it' on my workbench so I shot it with "blend in black" and made a bracket to attach it to the beam with the frame head bolt holes. (custom frame). I used it to tug the buggy up on a trailer, slow but no strain. I replaced the cable that came with it with a 20'X2" ratchet strap that I also bought at HF for $8 and tossed the ratchet and original cable in a drawer. The strap is a lot easier to work with than the cable. Wink I wired it through a DPDT switch on the dash but it also came with a remote control key fob which is pretty cool too. I can use either as needed. I'm pretty happy with the results.

SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
- is there going to be additional chassis structure on the side rails or center tunnel? Current chassis pics look like a motorized & suspensioned extension ladder... Laughing

bryan

Defintely going to be a roll cage, but as is it is more rigid than a stock Vw pan.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a similar chassis and liked the idea of a little more side impact protection and the serious stiffness the second tier of square tubing provides. The buggy body snugs in nicely.

SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr8cobbler wrote:

I built a similar chassis and liked the idea of a little more side impact protection and the serious stiffness the second tier of square tubing provides. The buggy body snugs in nicely.

So does you body sit inside of the chassis? How do you attach the body?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bryan

Defintely going to be a roll cage, but as is it is more rigid than a stock Vw pan.

Your current design as shown will suffer from torsional twist with the tunnel removed. This is why I was curious to know if you planned to build your chassis similar to that of gr8cobbler.

bryan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: