Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 rat rabbit build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: 1975 rat rabbit build Reply with quote

hi everyone,
ive been hanging out on this site for years now, and have really enjoy it but have never posted anything. ive own a couple baywindows. and have always loved volkswagens. i bought a very rust old 1975 rabbit about a year ago and have slowly getting ready for the road. was thinking it would be fun to do a build thread (first one). heres a few pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so far i got the motor running and sounds good. need to rebuild the weber carb. gone thru the brakes and adding new mastercylinder. i fitted 2005 passat seats on the rabbit brackets. plan on useing rustbullet clearcoat on the body. have coilovers for it. anyway hope you guys enjoy looking at my post.

jason
76 Scirocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good man! Smile Hows the floor under the carpet? It looks pretty solid and almost everything is there. Non Opening vent windows, Swallowtail back panel, smothie hood and external hood release are correct for your car. Outside door handles and mirror should be chrome so those have been replaced.
Can you take a picture of the door sticker? I would like to see when it was born. Popcorn
JASGTi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Swallowtail. Good Luck with repairs

84 Rabbit L Diesel Diamond Silver
driverlost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked That looks worth doing up the right way. I second the door jamb vin plate pic & seeing under that carpet. Even all the correct components unmolested under the hood.

I'd do that puppy up bone stock and blow the world away but whatever you do I like the start you got going on.

German built Rabbits did not see the same rust fate as there brothers did coming out of Westmoreland, so your strut towers should look great. The gas tank likely won't. It should be carefully pulled and hopefully restored before its an issue. You can't get the early tanks any more so lets hope it looks good and it just needs some rust stop and a good flush, and a fresh float. I was not so lucky so I have a fuel cell in mine.

Gleefully watching Razz

May the war on Air vs Water end in my lifetime that we may all come together and enjoy the hobby.
76 Scirocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be so much more than a rat ride but thats up to the owner. Looks very solid. Not many of these cars left but they do well in the dry heat like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. They don't seem to rust out here.
Engine bay looks unmolested too. The only thing I see is the valve cover doesn't have the little cut outs on the mounting surface like it should have for the 74- early 76 cars. Very minor detail. I have one if you need it. Manual brakes and should have solid discs up front. If its drums up front its a very early car. I see your master cylinder resivior is gone. I have a used master w/ the resivior if you need it.
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

76 Scirocco wrote:
Looks good man! Smile Hows the floor under the carpet? It looks pretty solid and almost everything is there. Non Opening vent windows, Swallowtail back panel, smothie hood and external hood release are correct for your car. Outside door handles and mirror should be chrome so those have been replaced.
Can you take a picture of the door sticker? I would like to see when it was born. Popcorn

Thanks for the kind words! The floors have been replace by the po and are solid. Can't add a picture right now but the says 05/75 1753347890
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JASGTi wrote:
Nice Swallowtail. Good Luck with repairs

Thanks!
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driverlost wrote:
Wow Shocked That looks worth doing up the right way. I second the door jamb vin plate pic & seeing under that carpet. Even all the correct components unmolested under the hood.

I'd do that puppy up bone stock and blow the world away but whatever you do I like the start you got going on.

German built Rabbits did not see the same rust fate as there brothers did coming out of Westmoreland, so your strut towers should look great. The gas tank likely won't. It should be carefully pulled and hopefully restored before its an issue. You can't get the early tanks any more so lets hope it looks good and it just needs some rust stop and a good flush, and a fresh float. I was not so lucky so I have a fuel cell in mine.

Gleefully watching Razz

I pulled the tank a checked it out, looks like the po must have sealed it, it looked good other than having old gas in it.
Thanks for the kind words. ive been checking your car out for a while, love it!
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76 Scirocco wrote:
I think it could be so much more than a rat ride but thats up to the owner. Looks very solid. Not many of these cars left but they do well in the dry heat like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. They don't seem to rust out here.
Engine bay looks unmolested too. The only thing I see is the valve cover doesn't have the little cut outs on the mounting surface like it should have for the 74- early 76 cars. Very minor detail. I have one if you need it. Manual brakes and should have solid discs up front. If its drums up front its a very early car. I see your master cylinder resivior is gone. I have a used master w/ the resivior if you need it.

Its very rusty, would be to much for me to restore it. The engine is a imported from germany 1.6 from a later rabbit intalled by the po. i have the master cylinder part but thanks for offering the parts.
76 Scirocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the car has had some love w/ the floors, sealed gas tank and engine.
If you restore it or not.... have fun and drive it. Thats what these cars are for!
Your welcome for the parts offering. If you can't find something for the car let me know. I've got some swallowtail/early Rabbit stuff stashed.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
By any chance have you removed the front wheels yet? I am helping my neighbor with his red 80 rabbit and we CANNOT get the large nut off of each front axle that holds on the rotor. I am wondering if perhaps they are reverse thread, OR they just need some heat?

Let me know if they are lefty loosey or righty loosey for lack of better terms. Thanks! Cool

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

76 Scirocco wrote:
It sounds like the car has had some love w/ the floors, sealed gas tank and engine.
If you restore it or not.... have fun and drive it. Thats what these cars are for!
Your welcome for the parts offering. If you can't find something for the car let me know. I've got some swallowtail/early Rabbit stuff stashed.

Thanks! I just bought a 1975 green four door for parts. Im gonna post some pic on here.
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Looks great!
By any chance have you removed the front wheels yet? I am helping my neighbor with his red 80 rabbit and we CANNOT get the large nut off of each front axle that holds on the rotor. I am wondering if perhaps they are reverse thread, OR they just need some heat?

Let me know if they are lefty loosey or righty loosey for lack of better terms. Thanks! Cool

Thanks. I have only removed the wheels them selfs, so im not sure about the axle. You might ask (driverlost) he posted on this tread and have a rabbit too.
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a pic of the door jam sticker.
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a 1975 green four door for parts. The rear spindles, front door handles and some door parts, and the correct hood are gone, but the rest of the car is there. Floors are rusted out as you can see the grass in the pictures.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinandbonez wrote:
Schwing wrote:
Looks great!

Thanks. I have only removed the wheels them selfs, so im not sure about the axle. You might ask (driverlost) he posted on this tread and have a rabbit too.

Got a reply from JASGti and he let me know they are both lefty loosey. This is after I already called my local veedub shop and they said the same thing. Cool good luck when you get there, now you know too haha.

Ok hijack over, keep it up looks great.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orionjd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Very Nice Reply with quote

Very nice! Look forward to seeing the build as it progresses.
DB28704
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking ride! I'm looking for seat options myself for my 80, those look like they may very viable option.

(just realized this is my first post, after being registered and lurking for a year! lol)
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Looks great!

You're not talking about the large nut that is in the middle of the hub. That holds the axle onto the hub. The rotors are held on by the wheel, when it is torqued down, and usually a small, countersunk Phillips screw that holds the rotor on when the wheel is off. If I am wrong, please forgive me in advance. Wink
Skinandbonez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Nice Reply with quote

orionjd wrote:
Very nice! Look forward to seeing the build as it progresses.

thanks! It might be slow. I havnt done any work on it in months Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: