Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RIP Dave Omel
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tirekicker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. Dave
My condolences to his family and all his friends.

(16:45:42) Russ_Wolfe: TK, you are like a Maytag washer
(16:46:44) tirekicker: and what's a maytag washer?
(16:47:35) Russ_Wolfe: If you are not agitating, you are not working right
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave was a really good friend of my brother-in-law. He was a stand up guy and will be missed. R.I.P., Dave.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli

Last edited by sportin-wood on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDDYOC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your kind words, memories, and condolences. I have been wanting to post something since this tragedy, but it has been very VERY difficult for me. As soon as I begin to write something, I lose it. This is very difficult but I feel that I need to say something.

For those of you that had the pleasure of meeting Dave, you know what kind of a person he was. Truly the nicest guy you could ever meet. Free-spirited, non-judgmental, and a smile for everyone. A truly positive person.

I met Dave many years ago (90's) when I was a tour guide at Disneyland. A few years later, we had a bite to eat together with some of his managers, and I told him that I would have to leave early. When he asked what the reason was for my leaving early, I explained to him that I was delivering a middle seat to someone. It was then that I explained to him that I was into Volkswagens and that I bought and sold VW parts. He then told me that his first car was a VW beetle, and that if I ever wanted a partner in what I did, he'd be interested.

As most of us in the VW world know, you can never have enough space. Time went on and I asked Dave if he wanted to go into VWs and find a space that could accommodate our hobby. I asked Dave to find a shop that was suitable for our hobby. The space we have today, is the original shop in which we started. When Dave retired from Disneyland after 30 years, it became not only for our VWs, but also a place to hang out, see Dave, and share time with our fellow Disney/VW friends.

From high ranking Walt Disney Co. executives to grease monkeys, our shop was the coolest hangout. As time went on, we were going to buy BFY, but that is a whole different story that didn't go so well. In fact, Darren still owes Dave. We decided that we would turn our hobby into our business. As far as the name of our business goes, we have to give credit to Shin Watanabe for that. Shin did an article on us in Let's Play VW magazine where he called our shop Eddy and Dave's Garage. So, when it was time to become a legit company, there it was. Thanks Shin. Geez, could've been worse when I think about it.

Time has gone by and we have been doing our thing. Dave has been a true VW enthusiast for many many years. His daily driven 59 Ghia was found when we were in the state of Washington and Dave was in charge of Walt Disney Company's Annual Shareholder's Meeting that year. The night before we were to fly home, we took a drive through downtown Seattle and I picked up a periodical classifieds magazine, in which I found a 1959 Karmann Ghia, all original, 6V car, for sale. This was to become Dave's car. Only $3,500 for this black beauty. We got it, had it shipped home, and soon it became Dave's car. Our shop at the time, was next to West Coast Classics and even Lenny Copp came out and made an offer on the car. Nope, it wasn't for sale.

Dave has had Disney company cars, personal cars, as well as busses, but this was his baby. Being a roof rack fiend, I told him that the rack was a must. I found the rack on his Ghia at the VW Classic many years ago, and there it was.....on top of the Ghia for life.

Dave has owned many cars since he became a born again VW fiend, but now, he and his Ghia will be forever remembered.

Dave and I have been to many places together. From sleeping on the cargo floor of a bus at the Pomona Swap Meet, to Red Barn and Kelley Park, from Solvang to Manassas, VA, and driving through Japan in our own 67 beetle, and onto driving a 65 T2 ladder truck through Europe in the BBT convoy. We did so many things together.

Dave was a brother to me. For those of you that do not know. I was born here in California. I grew up in Guatemala, Central America and came back when i was 7. I never had a dad until I was 9. My mom remarried and I had a great dad until I was 33. When my dad died, I had a lot of pain, but Dave was like my brother, and he helped fill that void. We became each other's confidants and life went on. Since then, I have enjoyed his company, wisdom, and overall friendship.

I cannot tell you how much I miss him. I don't think it's hit me yet, but when it does, I know that it will hurt very much.

Thank you again for your kind words, emails and condolences.

I will be sure to keep everyone notified once services are chosen.

Kind regards,

Eddy

Eddy and Dave's Garage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Mdubby066
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out the news on FB. Thats absolutely horrible! Those guys are the coolest! They helped me many times over the phone, im a few thousans miles away, & Dave explained stuff like he was right there! He will be deeply missed especially in our little community thats called VW
R.I.P Dave
BamBoomWagens.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Miss ya buddy. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip Dave.
May the Lords healing be with his family.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Eddy...........what a tragedy! I'm so saddened for you and his family, I don't even know what to say, or how to say it. Sad I remember Dave before he was in management at DL. He was always the same guy. He believed in the best in everyone. His glass was always 1/2 FULL. I'm honored to have shared a space in time with him. You guys will always be together in my memories of this wonderful person.

Bob
onemat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to Dave's family and friends.
Matt
Der Folks-Wagon Shop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Dave Omel Reply with quote

I really do feel honored to have had many conversations with Dave and great conversations they were.
Dave was really great at sharing stories and listening to them as well.
I definetly think he was a one of a kind man who always had a smile on his face and never had a bad thing to say about anyone.
On the other hand we are all very fortunate to have net and known such a great guy so cherish your memories of him whether they were brief or long term.
Dave you will not be forgotten but always remembered.
Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate stumbling across this type of post. Sad
Dave, You probably won't remember me, but I sure remember you.
This is a great loss to his family, his friends and the VW community.
RIP Dave.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish just posted this thread on sv2s. Eddy, my heart goes out to you. To Dave's family, my heart aches for you. I loved hanging with Eddy and Dave and Yoda at shows or their shop. They treated me like any guy VW lover, with respect and mutual love for a great hobby, but I don't drink beer. I will miss Dave's big hugs and welcoming smile. Man, this is just so, so sad. I will wear a Reyn Spooner shirt in his memory.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another article.

http://www.lbreport.com/13obits/omel.htm
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: