Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'52 Panel scale model
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56TIMOTEO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go through all that work, to just try and blow it up?????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is looking great das20v! Thank you for your expertise and to the dimension contributors you couldn't have done it without...

Any new updates looming on the horizon? Thanks...
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BobNorman: thank you for the kind words, and thanks for posting that video. That is a very nice working model. Mine will be easier for you to obtain, it wont be smoking and it will be extremely quiet! Very Happy (static display only)

@RHD Notch: Thank you! And many thanks for the contributors...I have a plan for those folks.

@DTrain: Thank you my friend. I might need a couple of easy measurements off your 36HP head(s).

All, sorry for the delay. Nothing new to report at this time. I have not started on the heads yet. They will require a few weeks to make, give the shapes, fins, recessed areas, etc. Work has me tied up and I haven't had many free weekends lately either. Look for the next big update in early January. Sooner if I can though. This is not dead by any means!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just let me know eric an ill get onto it
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

das20v wrote:

@DTrain: Thank you my friend. I might need a couple of easy measurements off your 36HP head(s).

Eric, what measurements do you need? Ill whip them up for u with my vintage tools....
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Train (and everyone else),

I am back! Thanks for hanging in there. I want to get this motor all buttoned up. A wild combination of vacation and travel, holidays with family, home projects, work and lack of any real spare time has prevented my progress for more than 2 months. I am ready to proceed with the Cylinder Head. Here is what I need:

A to B
A to C
A to D

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Eric!

Good to hear u had a nice vacation an was just as busy as everyone else..

Here's some measurements 4u
A-b 13mm
A-c 1mm (only a small lip)
A-d 125mm
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion,

Thanks mate. That was quick!

Actually, I could use a real vacation. Traveling and spending time with the family usually isn't really relaxing, but I will take it!

Well, it looks like I might have a Cylinder Head to build this weekend. Next, I need to research rocker covers as well. I believe they are same for 25/36 hp motors. Would that be a true statement?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not 100% on the rocker covers, we dont have many 25hp engines in australia to compare it too..

but f the heads are close to the same i dont see why the covers arnt either.

this might suggest them to be the same
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1331498
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems right. When I run the P/N from your link, a variety of sources indicate the same: 25/36 hp

Nice work Dion!

I got started a little bit on the head. This will take a little while I think, because of the cooling fin complexity, many curves and different flat and angled surfaces.

Down the road, I will be seeking rocker cover dimensions. The cover retainer clip/wire would be really easy if it was just scanned onto a single page with overall length/width dimensions to verify the scan and scale.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know what the major dimensions u need for the covers and ill sort out what i can. ill get a pic of dimensions of the clip for you too.
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a prelim of the heads. The complexity is turning out to be a pain, but I am getting there. More questions than answers when I don't have one right in front of me! There may be 1 more round of dimensions needed to nail this down.

One thing is that once I had the heads on, I aligned my intake manifold to the heads and it seems to be very close to fitting well. The intake port flanges should be flush to the edge of the head(s), but they are inboard by a few millimeters. No big deal, I will tweak them for a proper fit.

The intake manifold jacket also was bumping into the engine case top bolt/lug, so I adjusted the angle on the intake manifold within the tolerances I have on hand from the measurements. That worked out well; it only needed to move just a little. The clearance between the "Coffee Can" air filter and the fan shroud is really close. It's not touching, but almost. In real life, I wonder how tight that spacing really is. I cannot seem to find a good photo with the right angle.

All in all, I am happy that there were no major surprises. It seems to be fitting up and aligning fairly well.

Next, I need to add fins to the heads. I also need to bend the fuel line properly. Right now the engine isn't getting any gas with the line pointed to where it is.

Rocker covers and retainer will be after the heads.

Stay tuned for more...

henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. looking good, as always.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work as always Eric. I think all my engines have needed a tweak by a mm or 2 as well! Haha
Capriacci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Eric, D-train and friends! Arriving late, but I´m here Wink

Valve cover spring:

A: 240 mm
B: 71 mm
C: 10 mm
D: 65 mm
E: 81 mm
F: 42 mm
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capriacci! Happy new year my friend.

Thanks for the spring dimensions; very clear. I will model it without the angle "bending of the spring", because in the world of CAD, I wont need the angle to hold it in place. In the scale model world, I won't need the angle either...I have glue for that!

Also, thanks Henry and D-Train. It's starting to look like something finally.

So, after a long night of deciphering the shapes of the head and how they relate to other parts of the motor (such as the intake manifold), I think I have a solid footing to continue. If I had an actual head in front of me, I could probably model this thing in an hour or two. Such is life Confused

Here is where I am now.

Added the exhaust flange and stiffening shroud as well as the scalloped center fin. I also made the inlet flange, and adjusted the location to match the OG location (right on the edge of the head). Tonight, I will try and get more fins. By the weekend, the head(s) should be done. I'll make the rocker cover diagram very soon.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work, i was drawing something up but Capriacci beat me to it!
heads will be fiddly but im sure willget them spot on like usual!
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would photos of bare 25hp heads with a scale, be of help?

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishynos, thanks for the offer. I think I have everything I need on the heads. If I get stuck, I'll let you know. I don't want you to go through trouble of presenting photos if I don't REALLY need them.
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fins! A few anyhow.

I also thickened up the exhaust outlet casting as well as the exhaust port flange. Here is where things stand as of now. Comments are always welcome.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: