Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

There are many many many many many.......did I mention MANY Pop Top canvas threads on here. I've read most of them!

They involve discussions with Everyone saying that Go Westy is better than CIP who is better than Van Cafe who is better than ............????
I agree, from all that I've read that Ateliers http://www.atelierspk.com/west_english.html
is undisputabily at the top of the top makers list.......but...... Many $'s are required and literally months of waiting!

For the amount of time this Vanagon will actually be used,
I've pretty much settled on a good old fashioned canvas top. one should probably last me the rest of my life before my kids take my drivers license away! I've settled on either an OEM top as sold by several retailers or I'm seriously looking at Bus Depots in house canvas. I want the 3 windows and I want it in Tan.

http://www.busdepot.com/253070704a

I called them and expressed my concern about fit, that in online discussions they have been mentioned as selling ill fitting canvas, probably Just Kampers brand?

The guy on the phone assured me they no longer sell Just Kampers tops and that this home brand fits well and they even have a guy who opens all new inventory and measures each top for proper size before they sell them.

Their web site states that they are "sick of" (my paraphrase reading between the lines) ill fitting canvas tops.

Bus Depot is a reputable company, no one would argue that fact.

So my question is......Has Anyone actually put one of these lesser cost units in and how did it fit?
I've an 86 Vanagon using the screws, not stapled.

Now lets not get into so and so is a better top, I've read all of that. The last thing we need is ANOTHER thread pointing out various retailers, fabric choices and fit. I read all of this until my eyes went blurry!

I'm asking about Bus Depot's own make canvas.

I just want to hear about this particular top please.

Thanks for your time.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

I just installed one a month ago. 86 Westy, 3 window tan, Bus Depot under $300 canvas. It fit fine and was slightly easier to install than one I did from another source a few months earlier.

The canvas seems a little lighter weight than most.

Mark

djkeev wrote:
There are many many many many many.......did I mention MANY Pop Top canvas threads on here. I've read most of them.

Their web site states that they are sick of ill fitting canvas tops.

Bus Depot is a reputable company, no one would argue that fact.

So my question is......Has Anyone actually put one of these lesser cost units in and how did it fit?
I've an 86 Vanagon using the screws, not stapled.

Now lets not get into so and so is a better top, I've read all of that. I know that, I'm asking about Bus Depot's own make canvas.

I just want to hear about this particular top please.

Dave
Jbeverly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the gray busdepot 3 window version last month and couldn't be happier with the quality, fit and price. I have an 81 so it was the stapled version.

Feel free to check out my blog for installation pics:

http://1981vwcamper.blogspot.com/
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the tan one and am hoping to have time to install this weekend. I'll let you know...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a thread with some photos and discussion:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20

photos from my install a bit back.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6443494#6443494

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a direct answer to your question but my recommendation is to compare the dimensions of ANY replacement top to your existing one before trying to install it. It is not that big a deal to return it before you have tried to install it, compared to swearing at the replacement for a few hours during a futile install... Any manufacturer can make a misteak that gets through QC. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...Their web site states that they are sick of ill fitting canvas tops.

Bus Depot is a reputable company, no one would argue that fact...

I probably helped them get that sickness. To their credit, they kept sending me tops until I got one that fit -- would have liked the first one to have been right but at least the last one was correct (and of better quality than the first 3).

If you do go with their top you'll know they stand behind what they sell.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good place to record my pop top tent installation for posterity since I decided to go with the Bus Depot in-house model.

Before I start, I'd like to say that this is a great product. The fit and finish is very nice and the zippers and screens seem to be very high quality. The front panel is about an inch longer than my old canvas, so you definitely have some wiggle room there. As others have said, it's not as taught as the OEM one, but I knew that going in and I'm fine with it. It's super nice.

First off, after doing the research, I decided to take the top off. This required enlisting a very generous neighbor for the day as well as Sambanistas SoonerDave (who stopped by to help re-attach the roof) and SMaurer, who brought his daughter for an impromptu playdate with my daughter, which luckily gave him time to help out. Couldn't have done it without those guys.

After measuring, measuring, comparing, and measuring again, I removed all of the screws in the bottom of the tent. Straightforward, very simple. After that, I disconnected the lift mechanism, gorilla taped the lift arms for safety, and propped up the top with a 2x4.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I labelled and cleaned the bottom aluminum strips with 409.

For two people, getting the top off was a little bit intense. The thing likes to flop around. We got it done, though.

This is not proper use of a ladder.

OK rain, please hold off until we get this thing reattached.

We took off the upper rails and removed the old tent, then layed out the new one and attached it. We started by pulling it tight (it was a pretty tight stretch) and stapling narrow staples into the little wood blocks (sorry no pic of those) then screwed in the aluminum rails.

So far, so good:

We used painter's tape to roll up the new canvas to avoid ripping it when we put the roof back on the Vanagon. Also, we slapped some Gorilla Tape on the hinges to keep them from extending.

Three of us had no problem getting the roof back on, although I was surprised by how floppy that roof is. It likes to flex and twist quite a bit. I attached the poptop mechanism first, because it allows you to work the back a bit to get the back hinges reattached.

Then...Tragedy strikes! My good samaritan neighbor was tightening down the hinge bolts and one snapped off in the body. I felt really bad for him. He headed to get a new bolt and an extractor kit while I got to work on the front bottom attachment.

Mistake #1: Notches have to be cut in the corners. I cut notches based on the position of notches on the old canvas instead of lining the new canvas up...Dumb, but certainly not a deal breaker. Extra notches are not a big deal.

Notches on the old canvas:

*Incorrect* notches on the new canvas:

Scott and Jared extract the broken bolt while I work inside.

From there, it was just a whole lot of tugging and screwing in little bitty screws. I did the front of the base first, and then (mistake #2) I SHOULD have done the back strip. I did the passenger's side next instead, and it made fitting the back a bit more difficult. We didn't have a lot of give in the canvas because connecting that whole side rail eliminated any extra slack in one whole side.

We ended up getting the back in by unbolting one of the rear hinges so that the roof would move around a bit. In the end, it all worked out.

Here, Scott puts some screws in while I take a break.

Here's the finished product:

Many thanks to my neighbor, Scott, Dave, and the fountain of knowledge that is The Samba.

This project is just one of those time-consuming, thought-provoking adventures that requires you to go slowly and patiently.

...And I'm glad it's over with! Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Joe. Bet your glad to have it done. I have that same
"work bench"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill! That work bench also doubles as my camp table...It folds in half and fits perfectly on top of the back mattress.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys..
As I'm sure most are aware Bus Depot now sells 3 Types of PopTop Canvas Tents. The Orginal German Canvas in 3 Windows. The Bus Depot "NEW" Version 3 Window Tent, and the Sunbrella Tents in exotic colors "not for everyone"

I'm fairly familiar, with there tents, and have installed many of each.

In my personal opioion I beleive that the Bus Depot new 3 Window Tent is an excellent product. It is almost indetical to the German 3 Window Tent. They both have removable and replaceable screens, and quality zippers. The German tent is only slightly heavier canvas and when side by side hard to tell the difference.

About a year ago Bus Depot did have a sight problem with there new 3 window tent. Bus Depot pulled those tents, till the company who made them came and picked up the tents to correct the problems. I know because I personly hit the problem early with the new batch and helped to identified the problems to Ron @ B.D. and he quickly worked to correct and resolve the problems with the Tent maker. The New Tents are dead on..

When I install a Tent I found that it's easier to remove the tops, it makes for a better work condition and neater install. Plus while you have the Top upside down it's easy to install your new PopTop seals. It usually takes me about a day to do the install, sometimes slightly longer depending on what pops up. I find the tuffest part of the install is installing the rear bottom while laying on your belly on the top bunk which I normally remove the pads from to provide more wiggle room to access the rear tent hold down screws. Trust me this is not something you want to do on a hot full sunny day, your have limited air cirulation and shouldn't open the window flaps untill the tent is fastened and finished, or at lease I don't to help hold shape and eveness of the product. If it is a sunny day heat builds quickly inside to bunk area so I'll hook up a box fan towards the front area and blow air towards the rear of the back of the bunk. Trust me it helps.

I normally do this job myself, if your determined you can do so easily. But I will call on assistance to place the top back on the Van so I can begin the finial install.

Both Bus Depot Tents are excellent products and varry only about $100 in price between the German and Bus Depot Product. It all comes down to a Personal Choice, Tuff call..

Last edited by DubNuts on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubNuts wrote:
I find the tuffest part of the install is installing the rear bottom while laying on your belly on the top bunk

Agreed!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
DubNuts wrote:
I find the tuffest part of the install is installing the rear bottom while laying on your belly on the top bunk

Agreed!

BTW... Great Write-up, and Documentation.. Very Happy Joey-T
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, great feed back here and a wonderful "how to" as well!

I had emailed BusDepot about my concerns but haven't heard back from them, that surprised me a little but......... Think

Anyway, based upon this thread I just placed an order for the Tan BusDepot canvas ......... Part Reference Number: 253070704A

I also ordered the BusDepot top seal kit as well.

It will be awhile before I put it on.
I plan on removing the top, doing a through top cleaning, Bleach out the mold and paint it with Interlux Brightside.

Thanks for the honest feed back given and the hands on experience.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this IS encouraging!

After I had ordered my new canvas I sent an email asking that they make sure I get sent a properly sized canvas which has been checked for size in light of the ill fitting replacement "canvas" issues so well documented in these forums.

Here is part of BusDepot's response ......

"............all of our Canvas’ are correctly measured now. We luckily found and fixed the problem with the previous incorrect measurements and now we are confident that all of the Bus Depot Canvas’ will fit the vehicles correctly. Please let me know if you need anything else........."

Very Happy
Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! These BusDepot.com folk are FAST!

I ordered the Westy tent on March 18th at 4:07 PM.

I chose cheap take your time freight and the package was placed in my hands at 8:45 am today, March 20 2013! Not even 41 hours have passed!

If they want points for prompt shipping........I'll give them a bucket full!

I opened the tent itself, which is a surprisingly small bundle.......

Nice.......... real nice !

As mentioned by others, the canvas is thinner than the old Westy canvas, but really? Who cares? Isn't this camping game focused on weight reduction?

I don't know canvas..... Is thicker and heavier better? Or is there a quality to lighter weight fabrics? I imagine this canvas is a blend rather than all cotton.
Ummm........ Nope, 100% cotton......

Anyway, it looks well made, the seams are pretty and straight.
I'm not a seamstress but everything appears even and neat.
Yes, there are some stray thread fibers here and there but I don't think that's at all a problem.
The zippers are plastic and Velcro is used on the front window.

Time to get busy, pull that top off and start the rebuild!

And the top is even Numbered on the back of the tag! Smile

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pop Top off of my 86 Westy to repaint it.
I've removed the original VW canvas which does indeed feel thicker.

Got out the micrometer and the OG Canvas measures .014 thick while the Bus Depot Canvas measures .012 thick.

A difference of .002.........that is the thickness of a strand of my hair! (Micro shows almost 3, I bumped it setting up the photo) ...............

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Bus Depot canvas is on the top, not the body yet, but I'm thinking of treating the canvas to shed dirt (ala Scotchgard) http://www.scotchgard.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NASc...scotchgard

Or a similar type product. I stumbled upon this used widely in the Marine industry...... 303 High Tech Fabric Gaurd
http://303products.com/index.php/fabric-guard/303r-fabric-guard-32oz.html

Or is it not needed?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave..
I can understand you wanting to apply some extra protection to your new poptop tent investment, but not sure it's needed? You also souldn't apply the frabic gaurd protection once the tent is mounted, because most of those protectors are made of a silicone base and your get overspray, drips etc on your Vans paint.

If it were me wanting to add some extra protection I'd consider doing it before mounting the tent by placing it is a Homer bucket etc, and let it soak in the water proofing for awhile then remove and line dry.. BUT i would inagine that if the tent wasn't mounted and held to shape srinkage is to be expected?

Now with all that being said.. I once did have the brain fart of trying to spray on some water proofing onto a recent purchase Van that had an excellent orginal German Tent that I wanted to get the most life I could out of it.

Here's what I did..
I went to Home Depot and picked up some of that cheap light weight painters plastic in rolls. I taped the plastic around the top of the van under the Tent and around the sides of the Van. Hint do this on a calm day because the plastic wants to fly.. I also picked up some camping tent waterproofing, it came in a can with a screw on lid. I poored that into a garden pump sprayer and set the nosel to a very fine spray and sprayed the Tent while on the Van.. All went well and never had a problem with the Tent..
Note.. Due to the Tent already having some sort of waterproofing on it the spay that I was trying to apply didn't absorb to quickly and even though I was spraying very thin coats it wanted to run off quickly and down the side of the tent and Van, luckly I used the plastic to wrap the Van..

Good Luck.. Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am uncomfortable with not treating the Canvas.

I wrote Bus Depot and asked what the treated it with, if anything.

They didn't say directly yes or no but did say they don't believe treatment is needed being Canvas. I'll take that a a No. Laughing

I also finally read their instructions! They say that it can be done but no recommendations are made.

I am most concerned about dirt. My old top was filthy being under the Fiberglass, I desire a long life from this new one.

I've decided I'm going to use the 303 High Tech Fabric Protector. It isn't silicone based, apparently silicone attracts dirt, so I'm going to try it. I'll let you know how it works!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: