Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Shimming
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Door Shimming Reply with quote

If I'm trying to get the right panel gap on my doors, and I need to move the door back in the frame towards the latch side, is the accepted or proper technique to shim in back of the door hinge? I notice on the upper hinge that there is a slot in the A-pillar for the end of that hinge. If I need to shim to the point that the slot becomes too narrow, what do I do, make the slot wider?
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 58 views and not even a nibble! Surely I'm not the only one with this problem on a 35 year old car!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently put my doors back on my ghia after paint. I had to make shims for one side, had the same issue as you. Looks and functions near perfect now. I made three sets of spacers til i got the correct thickness. Not sure if ghia and bugs are same but I had no issue with the slot interferance. I guess you could always bend it out a little if needed.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far off is it? I have read about (and used) newspaper and folded cardboard that I place in the hinge jam near the hinge that needs to be adjusted. Close the door slowly, and the hinge will adjust a bit. Are you talking thousandths of an inch or more? This is on a bug, not a ghia.
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this a few days ago. I used 1/8 plywood scrap and placed it in the front door gap and shut it and pushed the door back. I read on here that some use paint stirring sticks and put them and shut the door, it helps get the hinge back into its original shape. Im doing bodywork on the car, so if your paint is nice you ma wanna tape up all the edges or use some other method
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-3 layers of aluminum flashing?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I was considering making some shims, I was thinking all along about making them out of some 18 gauge steel sheet stock I have. Just a matter of how many layers I have to go to get it to work.

Fab4Fan are you saying that when people are doing what you described to get the hinge back into its original shape, that they are somehow bending the A-pillar metal that the hinge is attached to back? I suppose I could look in to that.

The weird part is the the gap on the rear of the door is about a 1/4 inch, and the gap on the front of the door is not even there. Can't even fit a piece of paper in there. I have the body sitting on Saw horses, with the front saw horse directly below the A-pillar. I suppose the metal that the hinges are attached to could have moved, but that seems like a lot.

I might wait until I put the body back on the pan, but I'm sure I'm going to have to adjust the door some, I doubt it will move back that much. I'll try and put up some pics.

Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:

Fab4Fan are you saying that when people are doing what you described to get the hinge back into its original shape, that they are somehow bending the A-pillar metal that the hinge is attached to back? I suppose I could look in to that.

I never actually thought about it Embarassed , I just did what I read others were doing. And it worked.
But now that you mention it.. that may be the case or maybe one of the hinge halfs was slightly bent.
I guess the gap gets tight because the door is extended past its limit and I guess could pull the metal where the hinge is attached to. As you try to shut the door with the obstruction in the gap, the weight of the door pulls the hinge at the pivot(pin) part, so I dont think the hinge is spreading. Its either getting moved back in position or bending itself straight.
It did work for me though, just be really light when you start. it required very little pressure to get it back.
i've only done one side, the other doesnt look to bad.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
I might wait until I put the body back on the pan, but I'm sure I'm going to have to adjust the door some, I doubt it will move back that much. I'll try and put up some pics.

your wasting time even thinking of this till the body is back on the pan, Wink then you can just use a folded up shop towel in the hinges usually to get correct door gap.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

your wasting time even thinking of this till the body is back on the pan, Wink then you can just use a folded up shop towel in the hinges usually to get correct door gap.

X2^... everything will change once it's back on the pan.

Hot VW's had an article on adjusting door gaps a few months back. They mainly used shims under the body mounts to "warp" things into shape.

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup,theyre right. u gotta have the body on the pan and i always bolt it down to pull it down how it will actually sit. that hot vw article that was mentioned ...check it out,the body/doors are aligned at body mount points. in otherwords twist and uneveness that shims alone wont fix. dont over look it,good learning and reference.
57heinz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

Tried the rag idea yesterday.Never knew my door could close so nice.I left the rags in there for a few hours while I was tinkering around.
Thanx!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57heinz wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

Tried the rag idea yesterday.Never knew my door could close so nice.I left the rags in there for a few hours while I was tinkering around.
Thanx!

So if you had to guess, what do you think is actually happening there? Is the metal in the A-pillar that the hinge attaches to so thin that the shop towel technique is bending it back into proper alignment? Just trying to figure out what's at work here.

Last edited by beetlenut on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hinges are being bent very minutely. By placing an impediment in the gap, and forcing the hinges to essentially bend around it, you are widening the hinge's gaps.

I agree that you should wait for this adjustment until the body is on the pan.
57heinz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ify!i would have to say its pulling the A pillar
Then again the gap grew between A pillar n front of door leading me to believe its tweaking the hinges the right way
Ill take a closer look at the lines tomorow.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess it's PFM Wink

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
I think the hinges are being bent very minutely. By placing an impediment in the gap, and forcing the hinges to essentially bend around it, you are widening the hinge's gaps.

I agree that you should wait for this adjustment until the body is on the pan.

My guess would be the metal of the A-pillar that the hinge attaches to is bending, since the hinge itself is made from 3/16 -1/4 steel plate, and the A-pillar that the hinge mounts to is at best 20 gauge. I'll wait till I get the body back on to try all this, but just trying to understand what forces are at work right now. This is moving from plain ole body work into that area of craftsmanship that comes from years of working on cars which I don't have.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit over thinking this simple procedure. The hinges bend over time or the door gets caught in the wind thus bending them, or somebody messed with them with the body off the pan Shocked . Once you get the body back on the pan and go to do this (if needed Wink ) you will see that it just bends the hinge, well I suppose you could bend the body metal if you get to aggressive.
and you don't need to leave the shop towel in there any extended period of time.
It really is a simple process, no big deal.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not overthinking, just trying to understand. There is a difference. The passenger door front is hard up against the A-pillar, while the rear has about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap with the B-pillar. I'm willing to concede that the body being off the car is a big part of that. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much that procedure will move the door if I still have a sizeable gap once the body is back on, and the car has a chance to settle. Besides on the days I can't work on it, what else VW related do I have to do? Wink

catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group:

Is there a PDF or web-accessible version of the Hot VWs article mentioned above?

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: