Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Brake Lights don't work- Noticed low brake fluid
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: My Brake Lights don't work- Noticed low brake fluid Reply with quote

My brakes work fine but my friend said my brake lights are not working. When I got home I checked fuse, then by passed the fuse box , by going to wires under the rear seat and they light. So I figure the brake switch. WHen I open the hood I checked the fluid and it is empty. I guess when you get so low the switch does not work. Weird I guess I just caught it because my brakes work fine. I think the leak is before the master cylinder or I would have had braking problems..

Sounds logical. Right???

Also can you change the brake switch and not have to bleed the system???
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - with you on that - probably the reservoir hose - you should be able to spot where it has been leaking. Topping off the fluid should take of the light issue, but if not, you can swap out the switches without having to bleed.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response some times you get lucky. By the way it was ez to spot the lights not working, I made a third break light from my 2008 Solara's LED tail light that was smashed .

When it don't light I know it.
At the time of the photo I was testing it, that is why the tail light are not lit. They all work together, well when they work, ha

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute... Filling up the reservoir will not fix the brake light. Those are two separate issues.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought on my end was if the pressure was low due to lack of fluid, it may prevent the switch from working.....figure that would be worth trying before pulling the switches.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how the Super is configured, but it has either a pressure switch on the master cylinder - or a mechanical switch somewhere around the brake pedal itself. If it has a pressure switch, and it doesn't work because fluid level is too low you won't have any brakes either.
If the brakes work, by all means fill it up but that will not fix the light.
You should be looking for an electrical fault, like a failed switch, lead or similar. I can't be more specific as I never worked on those...
I hope it helps anyway.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a weird situation I agree, I get home late from work and have to use a drop light to work, so I am waiting till the week end to fix it.

Like I said the problem is up front, I ran voltage to the rear and the lights work. So I figure it is the switch after checking and cleaning the fuses. When I went to look at the switches to see the connections I noticed no fluid in the bottle. So I would think if the light does not light from low fluid the brakes should not or at least feel bad. Not so they work fine.

But is it just a coincidence, the the bottle is dry???????? Seeing the lines are lower then the master maybe the brakes can work but on on the verge of failure. Or seeing it is a duel braking system and I have discs on all four, maybe one side is not working well but I cannot notice it.
Will let you guys know as soon as I figure it out. Hey if it is the fluid You will know sooner then the weekend because I am going to buy some tonight.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically if brakes are working good, its not a "pressure" issue (even with low fluid)...

Probable a defective switch(s) or loose/corroded connectors..... Get under car and find master cylinder, and bypass switches if brake lights work, its probably the switches....

Go to this diagram and look for "F" these are brake light switches for 73 Super... Probably identical to all years "super" wiring... And most likely on master cylinder...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: brake lights Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but I now have the same problem. So, how do you bypass the brake switches to determine if they are bad? Do I pull off the wires and connect them to each other? I'm electrically challenged so any help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain Man I am into electronics and it took me some time to figure it out, and I have blown up alot of stuff thinking I know what I am doing. Nothing is more of a hassle then melting some wires in a harness and blowing your radio or flasher unit, you just never know. .

So don't mess. Just go get new switches they are cheap and like the guys said you do not have to bleed the system.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: brake lights Reply with quote

Mountain man wrote:
I know this is an old post but I now have the same problem. So, how do you bypass the brake switches to determine if they are bad? Do I pull off the wires and connect them to each other? I'm electrically challenged so any help is appreciated.

Yes you can "jumper" the two wires together and if brake lights illuminate, you have switch problem...

Check wiring diagrams to be sure you get right wires for model year of your bug...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a duel circut master with coresponding 2 switches, and the switch that has pressure is bad and the other circut is bad the car will stop( from 2 wheels) and not turn on brake lights. VERY SIMPLE
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm back. Had to go to work for a bit. I jumped the wires bypassing the switches and nothing. I installed those good looking yet cheeeeep rear tail lights where the brake and running lights are now combined with a dual filament bulb so I am thinking that might be the culprit. but I get no power to the wires leading to the light. Any ideas? And thanks for trying to help. You guys are great to watch this forum and lend a hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: