Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Fastback. First car, to own and to build.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: 1968 Fastback. First car, to own and to build. Reply with quote

Hi everyone I'm Chris. Just purchased my first car a couple weeks ago, a 1968 Type 3 Fastback. It has its ups and downs, just like any car of that era would have. Some would say its a bad choice for a first car, I say it's the BEST.looking to restore it to 95% stock, wheels will be stock but possibly painted a different color. I've got my dad (who has had years of experience with cars, especially VW's) helping me out through this which is awesome Cool . I will try to post at least once a week, just updates and pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The car was originally Lotus White (L282), It had a non expert (nice way of putting it) repaint a few years back in Savannah Beige. The car has India red seats and door panels. It was originally sold to doctor in June of 68 in southern CA, I am the 4 owner. Very Happy

Right off the bat it needs a fuel pump and some brake lines, when we put it on the trailer the rear brake lines broke from the straps going over them (Dads fault Laughing )

Yes I have a missing tooth, never grew in Laughing also I'm 17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Fastback. First car, to own and to build. Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
Hi everyone I'm Chris. Just purchased my first car a couple weeks ago, a 1968 Type 3 Fastback.

Right off the bat it needs a fuel pump and some brake lines, when we put it on the trailer the rear brake lines broke from the straps going over them (Dads fault Laughing )

Nice car. Is it still Fuel Injected? If so, try and hunt down an Airtex E2000 fuel pump (for an 85 ford ranger, it's the frame mounted pump). Then do a search of this forum to find out how to plumb it in. I'd also get 25 feet of 5/16ths fuel hose and 34 FI style clamps, and replace ALL of the fuel hose on the car. I'd also pull the fuel tank, and have it cleaned out.
If it's been converted to carbs, then disregard the above, as you'll only need about 10 ft of 5/16ths hose, and another 5 or 6 feet of 1/4" hose. You'll still want to replace all of it though (fire warning).

Well since he messed it up, I guess he gets to fix the line. Wink Might have him check the rest of them too. How long had it been sitting before you got it? Just asking, as it might need front brake hoses, as they like to collapse internally, but still look fine on the outside. If the calipers need rebuilding, contact Jim Adney ( [email protected] ), and have him go thru them. You might want to send the master cylinder too, as he does them as well. Good luck, and it sounds like a nice way to bond with your dad. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KIDSPEED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris & welcome to TheSamba!! That looks like a nice little project Fastback you have there as your first car. Keep us updated with your progress & ask any questions as they come up. Bobnotch & many others here have a wealth of knowledge on these cars & are always willing to share. Don't take it seriously when they come along and bash your car for being a "Fastback". It's just faux snobbery.

-Laurence
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Fastback. First car, to own and to build. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:
Hi everyone I'm Chris. Just purchased my first car a couple weeks ago, a 1968 Type 3 Fastback.

Nice car. Is it still Fuel Injected?

yes still fuel injected, plan on keeping it that way. As far as the pump goes we're trying to get it rebuilt, I've sent jadney an email to see what he can do for me on the pump. We also heard of a place in Livermore CA called Fuel Injections Corp, I think the guys name is Bob.

Will hopefully upload some more pictures tonight of the car. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I sure wish my pops and I had a project when I was your age. Enjoy every minute of it as you'll savor those moments later in life. You have a nice fasty there!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Fastback. First car, to own and to build. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:

Well since he messed it up, I guess he gets to fix the line. Wink

You are correct.
Line broke right after the nut
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so here's what pictures i took today while we were working and just putzing Razz

a bit of rust on the sides, doesn't seem to go very deep

have a replacement fender for it, plan to use this fender as scrap metal to fix the left fender (see next picture for damage)

is there something missing here? (besides the wheel Laughing)

Engine

found some original paint poking through

Last edited by Cschenkel on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the car came with two sets of wheels, the Chromies and the stock type 3 wheels (what are to believed to be)

what year are these? or are the aftermarket?

this would be the ofset marking, correct?

and this is the date stamp? so the wheels would be December of 1967?
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a few more photos

the thin black wire to the right is not hooked to anything, the fuel gauge displays empty on it and when we ground the black wire it shoots up to 3/4 of a tank.

what does the 2 under the paint ID stand for?

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
is there something missing here? (besides the wheel Laughing)

Yes. It's called the "Z" bar. It's actually a load leveling device, more commonly found on Squarebacks of that vintage. By now, most have been remove due to the end bushings rotting out. Someone removed the entire assembly, as they probably didn't like listening to it bang around. You might find one in the classifieds, but I doubt you'll find a complete unit. Wolfsburg West does offer a rebushing kit for it though. Contact Joel (aka BOO-KOO-Z ) in Washington, and see IF he has one. If not, try Mike Fisher.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:

Yes, that's the date code. 12-67 would be correct for a 68.
No, that's not the offset. Sand on the other humps, and see IF you can bring it up. What you're looking for is ET 46, or just 46. It might be with the 4.5J-15 stamp. Make sure all 4 (or 5) rims are the same, before having them sandblasted and painted. For now, I'd leave the chrome rims on, until you got the stockers done. Then put new tires on the stock rims.

As for that black wire, I'm not sure where it's supposed to go. It looks like a PO add on to me. You might want to backtrack it, and see where it does go. That'll tell you what it was added for (probably the horn).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:

Yes, that's the date code. 12-67 would be correct for a 68.
No, that's not the offset. Sand on the other humps, and see IF you can bring it up. What you're looking for is ET 46, or just 46. It might be with the 4.5J-15 stamp. Make sure all 4 (or 5) rims are the same, before having them sandblasted and painted. For now, I'd leave the chrome rims on, until you got the stockers done. Then put new tires on the stock rims.

only other marking i could find next to the sizes, will sand em down some other time and try and find them. is there a way to tell with out the stamp?
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tonight I got in my seat rail plastics from ISP in and decided to put them in went in no problem

the seats are a little stiff on the rails, any suggestions? the C shaped rail on the seats are still a bit rusty will be cleaning those up in a couple days.

pulled out the crappy aftermarket radio that was screwed under the glove box

looks mucho betterero ( bamboo parcel rack would look sooooo nice in here) Laughing plan on chasing those wires back, unhooking them, and hooking up the sapphire IX to see if it works

Sent the fuel pump and the injectors off to Fuel injections corp. out in Livermore. Kinda pricey but they were suggested by Bugformance, and they use all new parts in their rebuilds, anything that needs to be replaced will be. Rolling Eyes

That's it for now, just waiting for the parts back from FIC and then will do an update, Hopefully she runs good, will be replacing all fuel lines too.
16vCorey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! MY first car was also a '68 Fastback. I bought it when I was 14 y/o with paper route money, and still have it 21 years later.
Phatman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the start of a beautiful partnership! I reckon my first job would be to replace all the rubber fuel hose from the tank backwards, I'd swill out the tank itself too. Also, given the choice of buying new shiny parts and good second hand German parts go for the tarnished German ones! I.e. don't touch anything Brazilian, being FI at least you won't be tempted to fit a 009 distributor Smile
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short update.

Sent the fuel pump and injector out to Fuel injection corps. in Livermore and got them back and boy does it look good.

It's pretty pricey but for a complete rebuild of the pump and injectors i'd say its worth it. they charge 295 for the pump and 35 per injector.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the injectors look as nice as the pump, then you got your money's worth.
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Sorry haven't updated in a while, haven't had much time to work on the car.
So as of right now I've pulled the tank and sent it off to radiator shop to get dunked and sealed, moved on to the sending unit which wasn't working. When I pulled the sender out I could shake it and have little sprinkles of rust coming out of the two holes on the bottom. I got the sender apart and cleaned out all the rust and debris. The little plastic shaft in the middle of the float broke Rolling Eyes But I got a new piece from Orchard Supply and made it work. still need to test the sender and blow out all the fuel lines and replace rubber ones. I will have pictures within the next few days and another update hopefully within the next week or so whether she runs or not. Very Happy
grantndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked , that pump looks good. I may need to send mine into them.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do another Sambanista a favor and take a few photos while you have your tank out. This guy is looking to see where the fuel pump wires run:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556251
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: