Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Fastback. First car, to own and to build.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:
any one know how the CIP1 exhausts are? thinking of going with an aftermarket exhaust until I can find some heater parts or refurbish mine and make it not leak into the car.

I like the stock setup for a stock displacement engine. Parts are available, and it is actually a pretty good system, with what amounts to an equal-length header inside the sheet metal outer jacket.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And you get quiet and heat. I like the sound-- not so boomy and it lets you hear all those wonderful mechanical noises-- almost Porsche-like in tone.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-D-2033-10
would this work with stock heat exchangers? just to put different mufflers on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:
Having some trouble when starting in the mornings when the engine is cold, it likes to load up on fuel and the exhaust smells mostly of unburned gas, the idle also takes a bit to speed up, its very slow when starting. I cant locate the cold start injector, being a 68 is it located in a different spot than other models?

If you are in California, it's not your cold start system. That system ONLY works at very low temperatures and while cranking. It does not squirt at idle even when cold.

The Cold Start system doesn't even begin to work until the outside air temp is below 40 degrees F. So I doubt that's yout problem.
However, it sounds like you are running rich, and this can be the AAR, or even a VR trying to go bad (less than 14 volts causes the system to run rich). But I think you replaced the VR last year, so that shouldn't be it.
Jim Adney actually recommends trying to drive off right away, and let the car warm up at reduced speed on the road. He's thinking that some of the warm up issue is unburned fuel, that needs some engine heat to help burn off.
How does the car run once it's warmed up?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-D-2033-10
would this work with stock heat exchangers? just to put different mufflers on.

Well, that's just a standard type 3 BugPack header. You still need to buy some sort of muffler for it. A better choice is to just get the OTT (over The Top) from ISP West. The best choice is tolook thru the classifieds for a complete stock muffler. Wink And yes, either will work with heat exchangers.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

How does the car run once it's warmed up?

runs fine after warmed up, had to do some machining in the aar to make it work correctly, PO had warped it somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
A better choice is to just get the OTT (over The Top) from ISP West.

all are out of stock Crying or Very sad
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

You could try Kymco. They originally built the 1st OTT's. They're in California too. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

You could try Kymco. They originally built the 1st OTT's. They're in California too. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1031687 this one?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'1600 Super' sounds like a Super Beetle exhaust. Call them and ask about a Type 3 over the top.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
'1600 Super' sounds like a Super Beetle exhaust. Call them and ask about a Type 3 over the top.

Yup, that's a t-1 header.You need to call and ask about a t-3 unit.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car was running pretty good except it was using a lot of fuel, we dug into it and found that the wires to the injectors were switched between injectors. 3 was on 4 and 4 on 3, 2 was on 1 and 1 on 2.we were quite surprised the car was even running the way it was. Brick wall now its running better. I got the Bentley manual as an early Xmas gift Very Happy and some louvered eyelids Laughing
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
and some louvered eyelids Laughing

Noooooooooooo....

Whatever floats your boat man.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the dark side, have some fresh baked cookies. Great build & keep up the great work. I think you have a great helper in this project. Applause
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tri-Mil-Tuck-a-way-Muffler-VW-Type-3-p/tri-mil-type-3-tuck-a-way.htm

They are made by Tri-mil. I have one on my Notch now but may go back to the original setup this Spring

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car, Chris! I just recently purchased a 66 fastback in Granada Red. It's the third fastback I've owned. My first car was a 69 Fastback in Savannah Beige. Keep yours fuel injected. It will be a very nice driver once you get past the minor repairs that are typical of an older car. You're now officially hooked on air cooled VWs. Very Happy
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally found some time last week, kinda had to because she wont run now Brick wall replaced the wiring harness and brain for the fuel injection, now it wont start, the injectors aren't spraying but with starting fluid it will run for a few seconds. I figured its about time to replace the ignition switch because it was sticky and temperamental, took it out and the turn signal decided to pop apart and spring a couple pieces around the car, managed to get them back in except the wire spring for the signal turn off, the ignition switch I picked up didn't fit into the housing so I hooked up the old turn signal and it wouldn't even give power to anything, I got all the wires hooked up to the right place except i think the long red wire is in the wrong place, I have it hooked to the headlight switch, which seems wrong but that's where it was hooked up when I took it out, so that's where I am stuck, have a new ignition switch that should fit in the housing. Also had to change the oil because the gas had seeped into it. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on? or have a turn signal switch?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
finally found some time last week, kinda had to because she wont run now Brick wall replaced the wiring harness and brain for the fuel injection, now it wont start, the injectors aren't spraying but with starting fluid it will run for a few seconds. I figured its about time to replace the ignition switch because it was sticky and temperamental, took it out and the turn signal decided to pop apart and spring a couple pieces around the car, managed to get them back in except the wire spring for the signal turn off, the ignition switch I picked up didn't fit into the housing so I hooked up the old turn signal and it wouldn't even give power to anything, I got all the wires hooked up to the right place except i think the long red wire is in the wrong place, I have it hooked to the headlight switch, which seems wrong but that's where it was hooked up when I took it out, so that's where I am stuck, have a new ignition switch that should fit in the housing. Also had to change the oil because the gas had seeped into it. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on? or have a turn signal switch?

Since you have a 68, all of the steering column parts you need (TS switch, ignition, etc...) should be available. They're shared with 68 and 69 beetles and ghias too. Very Happy

As for the FI, I'd probably put the old ECU back in it, and try it. It sounds like you've got a couple of things going on, and you really need to wrap up a couple of them before moving on too far. I only say that, as the FI won't work, unless the ignition switch is hooked up (yes, it gets power from the headlight switch), but you could also have a bad ground on 1 of the 2 realys that's keeping it from working too. You might need to run Tram's trouble shooting pages to get to the root of your problem. It could even be your "new" harness, unless it was made by Joe. Shocked

Gas mixed with the oil, due to the injection system pumping fuel, but not actually running. Rolling Eyes
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried switching the ecu's back and forth same thing, wiring harness is a used one but was in better shape than mine, actual VW connectors. This Sunday I'll have time to work on it again. On the headlight switch it looks like there's two spots to hook it I assume I just have it hooked to the wrong spot because they're right next to each other. Embarassed
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your fuel Return line isn't plugged or that will force gas into the oil and prevent it from starting. BTDT
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:

Since you have a 68, all of the steering column parts you need (TS switch, ignition, etc...) should be available. They're shared with 68 and 69 beetles and ghias too. Very Happy

As for the FI, I'd probably put the old ECU back in it, and try it. It sounds like you've got a couple of things going on, and you really need to wrap up a couple of them before moving on too far. I only say that, as the FI won't work, unless the ignition switch is hooked up (yes, it gets power from the headlight switch), but you could also have a bad ground on 1 of the 2 realys that's keeping it from working too. You might need to run Tram's trouble shooting pages to get to the root of your problem. It could even be your "new" harness, unless it was made by Joe. Shocked

Gas mixed with the oil, due to the injection system pumping fuel, but not actually running. Rolling Eyes

I've checked both the relays they're getting power to them and the ECU is getting power through the two wires, what's a cause of the injectors not squirting, could they be all clogged up because it was flooded with fuel?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:

I've checked both the relays they're getting power to them and the ECU is getting power through the two wires, what's a cause of the injectors not squirting, could they be all clogged up because it was flooded with fuel?

Check the trigger point plug and wires.
About half way down on this page, is a resistance check you might want to perform. It'll tell you IF you have any breaks in the FI wiring harness.
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: