Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cracked a cylinder - too much boost
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60.5cc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st turbo engine had a lot of deck to get the compression down with the heads I was using.
.125" to be exact plus the copper gasket.......that was in the late '80's and we didn't know better then.
Never cracked a cylinder even with 28psi of boost.

Detonation is your likely culprit in this case.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wastegate get stuck or something?

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also have the head "cleaned up" it probably left a small burr in the head at the crack. I had the same thing happen when it ran lean under boost.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
wastegate get stuck or something?

No, I run it at 28#
It did stick one time and broke a 30# boost gauge.
Best I could tell it went to about 43#.........sure did make one helluva pass it did........... Cool

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably wasn't lean (detonating) if the ring lands didn't collapse, you might want to make sure they aren't pinched when you pull it down. If not, it's just the barrels being too weak. Twisted Evil

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithers wrote:
You should also have the head "cleaned up" it probably left a small burr in the head at the crack. I had the same thing happen when it ran lean under boost.

It did leave a burr but I had copper gaskets in there so the heads are clean.

miniman82 wrote:
Probably wasn't lean (detonating) if the ring lands didn't collapse, you might want to make sure they aren't pinched when you pull it down. If not, it's just the barrels being too weak. Twisted Evil

The ring lands look fine, the rings even look good just some minor scuffing. Veedubcrazy is hooking me up with some cylinders and rings, so I should be good to go.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this same thing a week or two ago. Why were you running 25-30psi? Was this on the street? Pump gas? Efi? I cracked mine at 18psi, but went a little too lean. Had to drive mine about 6 miles home. not a fun drive Embarassed
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
I did this same thing a week or two ago. Why were you running 25-30psi? Was this on the street? Pump gas? Efi? I cracked mine at 18psi, but went a little too lean. Had to drive mine about 6 miles home. not a fun drive Embarassed

Yes, on the street, EFI, 93 octane pump gas
Two reasons..

I couldn't get over 12psi boost, so I was messing with re-plumbing my boost control to closed loop. Didn't have it turned down nearly enough and overboosted.

And, I had reverted my tune to an older version where I didn't have the overboost protection turned on.

Live and learn I guess...
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I've had mine up to 24psi multiple times in the past with no issues, but i always had the fuel to cool it. This time it went just a bit too lean. 91 octane here. What pistons are you running?
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I've had mine up to 24psi multiple times in the past with no issues, but i always had the fuel to cool it. This time it went just a bit too lean. 91 octane here. What pistons are you running?
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
Pulled the 3-4 side apart last night... #4 was cracked too, almost the entire length of the barrel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shocked Crying or Very sad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't go leaner than 13:1 on boost!!!! 12.75 is safer

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shooting for 11.5 to 11.8 to be on the safe side..

They're about to open a new gas station in town that will have E85..

So I'm thinking I need to raise my static compression ratio a bit for this fuel. Also, having the tighter deck, the cyls might not be so prone to cracking.

I was running 0.085" deck plus 0.040" copper gasket.
This put my C/R around 7.89 :1
If I don't run the copper gaskets, 8.54 :1
If I cut the cylinders down 0.045", 9.21 :1
56Speedster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:

Were you messing with the tune Chip? I've been playing with my tune and am getting good results at 18psi. My newest problem is keeping the street tires glued to the asphalt. Even when I go easy on 1st gear, they spin like mad all the way through 2nd and into 3rd. I'm hoping to ease into 20+psi but I hope I can keep the power on the ground where it needs to be but am happier than a pig in sh!t that I'm doing it all on 91 pump gas.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the squishies!!!
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56Speedster wrote:
Chip B. wrote:

Were you messing with the tune Chip? I've been playing with my tune and am getting good results at 18psi. My newest problem is keeping the street tires glued to the asphalt. Even when I go easy on 1st gear, they spin like mad all the way through 2nd and into 3rd. I'm hoping to ease into 20+psi but I hope I can keep the power on the ground where it needs to be but am happier than a pig in sh!t that I'm doing it all on 91 pump gas.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the squishies!!!

I'm always messing with the tune, been on a quest to lean it out a lot, the car was absolutely evil the time before it popped. I just went a little too far. It seems to really like about 12.0:1.

You're welcome! Very Happy
56Speedster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to do some more tuning but have it currently running pretty sweet at 18psi now. I'm thinking that I really need to get into some kind of staged boost setup because of the severe tire spinning through the first 2 gears. Is a ton of fun though and is much faster today than it was with the flat top pistons.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing and A/F are directly related. If the engine runs best at 12:1, at 13:1 it will just need less ignition timing. Even on boost the engine will make best power in the 12.75-13:1 range, WHEN IGNITION IS OPTIMIZED.

Every molecule of fuel takes the space of a molecule of O2. So if you run "over-rich" you have less O2 to combust. It's a balance. Chemically speaking you'd make the most power at Stoic, but in reality every fuel molecule "can't find" an O2 molecule to match up with, when you run Stoic. So running a little richer than Stoic is how you combust all the available O2 (within reason). But too rich you lose power, because in the 12.75-13:1 range you have already used up almost all the O2, but richer that that and you have started displacing O2 with the extra fuel, which is why potential power drops.

If an engine makes more power "richer", it likely means the leaner tune had too much timing to begin with. Timing is DIRECTLY RELATED TO FUEL. If you treat them as unrelated you are making a common error.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What turbo is on this setup? where is timing set and how? ditch the shit 92s or this will happen again and again. The cyl wall is far too thin.
BUT... cylinder pressure was obviously WAY Too high due to improper timing at peak torque.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
What turbo is on this setup? where is timing set and how? ditch the shit 92s or this will happen again and again. The cyl wall is far too thin.
BUT... cylinder pressure was obviously WAY Too high due to improper timing at peak torque.

I'm running a Comp CT4.. ignition is thru megasquirt w timing set to 24 deg under boost.

I have since replaced the cylinders and rings, ditched the copper head shims and I have the overboost protection set to 15psi. It's running excellent with no problems so far.

Yes, the cylinders are super thin... but I think the carnage could have been avoided had I not plumbed the wastegate wrong and had the overboost protection off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: