Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cracked a cylinder - too much boost
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Timing and A/F are directly related. If the engine runs best at 12:1, at 13:1 it will just need less ignition timing. Even on boost the engine will make best power in the 12.75-13:1 range, WHEN IGNITION IS OPTIMIZED.

The 11.5-11.8 figure was recommended by one of my turbo buick buddies.. I guess he figures being on the rich side is "safer" but I really want to tune for max power.. now a whole new can of worms, I just switched to E-85 ethanol fuel. So far I have noticed a big difference in power, and bumped my timing up to 26 degrees on boost.. But from what you are saying I need to lean it out some and maybe pull some timing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Timing and A/F are directly related. If the engine runs best at 12:1, at 13:1 it will just need less ignition timing. Even on boost the engine will make best power in the 12.75-13:1 range, WHEN IGNITION IS OPTIMIZED.

The 11.5-11.8 figure was recommended by one of my turbo buick buddies.. I guess he figures being on the rich side is "safer" but I really want to tune for max power.. now a whole new can of worms, I just switched to E-85 ethanol fuel. So far I have noticed a big difference in power, and bumped my timing up to 26 degrees on boost..

Best power afr on gasoline is 12.5 - 13.2, with an afr gauge calibrated at 14.7 afr = 1 lambda, aka a gauge calibrated for gasoline.
Best power afr on e85 is 10.5 - 12.75, with an afr gauge calibrated at 14.7 afr = 1 lambda, aka a gauge calibrated for gasoline.

E85 is more tolerant of leaner mixtures and additional timing than gas. But you'll really need some dyno time to find out what your engine will like.

Quote:
But from what you are saying I need to lean it out some and maybe pull some timing?

No, he's just saying you can balance fuel with timing toward some optimum point. You can correct for a non-optimized afr or timing by changing the other, within a narrow range of course. So:
too rich afr -> advance the timing
too lean afr -> retard the timing
too advanced timing -> richen the afr
too retarded timing -> lean the afr

The actual "optimum" though is unique to your engine.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

The 11.5-11.8 figure was recommended by one of my turbo buick buddies.. I guess he figures being on the rich side is "safer" but I really want to tune for max power.. now a whole new can of worms, I just switched to E-85 ethanol fuel. So far I have noticed a big difference in power, and bumped my timing up to 26 degrees on boost.. But from what you are saying I need to lean it out some and maybe pull some timing?

What injectors/pump are you running? I know my Walbro 255lph couldn't keep up with my ID1000's on my 2276 for very long. I saw 100%DC on the dyno and leaned out big time on the track, top of 4th @18psi when running E85. Make sure your hardware is up to the task...I thought mine was...
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this engine put back together yet? Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering, how is the lower half of the cylinders cooled? the oe type 1 plates leave a nice aera somewhat uncooled and the typ3 need to be connected to the uppers so the air go's through them to cool & not escape out the sides. either style can be made to work just fine for the most part with some mods. but a hoter aera could also cause this ussue under "stress". I do preferr the typ3 "cool"tins with some mods&conected to the upper tins. but with some work the typ1 will work just fine too. remember vw didnt boost these cars or make the power or the big motors, so thier cooling needs to be addresed too. the fan is blowing enough it just has to get everywhere it needs to be to remove the heat. air in the right aera dosent get it done it needs to scrub the heat off the head&cylinders. Ive wondered if a slot about1/2" above and below the head between the first&second fin of each cylinder to let some of the pumped air go around the unfined part of the barrell and out the botom to remove some heat. some heads go through in many places any way when flycutting for biger cylinders.that portion of the cylinder needs cooling too.or possiably a series of cooling holes across the top half of the head&bottom 1/4 so it go's around nicely&out after all of the cylinder has been cooled.remember the cylinder isant tight for a good heat transfer.it needs air to remove it there. some air can go through the studd holes,(94 bore)I doubt it would cool even like it needs to. just somethen to think about.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have one engine with 30psi boost that runs fine, and another at 10psi that will split cylinders.

CYLINDER PRESSURE splits cylinders, boost doesn't.

Cylinder pressure is created by the combination of

fuel
boost
A/F
timing
compression

What so many don't "get" is that if you change one of those 5 things, you likely have to change 1-4 of the other one ALSO to optimize things. The most common mistake is some guy bumps his boost up, doesn't change anything else, and then splits cylinders.

Your A/F has to be right, and more boost will usually require LESS TIMING. But people only change one thing at a time, and make the changes too fast, and then run into problems.

You have to sneak up on the tune slowly. Make a change in boost 2psi at a time, then optimize the other things. Log your changes. Only after you have made several small steps can you make a big one BACK to a combo you had tested before, and know the result will be ok.

"Theory" doesn't always cut it. Guy changes from 10psi to 20 psi boost, and his mega-squirt does the "math" on the appropriate injector timing change. He goes out and BOOM. Oh, the fuel pump and lines weren't capable of that much fuel flow, oops. Or he didn't pull out any timing and split 3 cylinders, even though the A/F was good.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
What injectors/pump are you running?

Walbro 255 pump and Bosch 65 lb injectors. I have a sump welded in the bottom of the tank, with -AN8 feed to pump, then -AN6 supply and return lines. so far the duty cycle hasn't gone past 85% but I haven't pushed it on the upper end too hard.

veedubcrazy wrote:
Is this engine put back together yet? Wink

Yes sir! Cylinders worked great.

mark tucker wrote:
just wondering, how is the lower half of the cylinders cooled?

I'm using the stock type 1 deflectors under the cylinders, modified some to fit the ARPM case thru bolts. I thought about the type 3 tins, but some say they are crap, others say the opposite.

[email protected] wrote:
The most common mistake is some guy bumps his boost up, doesn't change anything else, and then splits cylinders.

Your A/F has to be right, and more boost will usually require LESS TIMING. But people only change one thing at a time, and make the changes too fast, and then run into problems.

This is exactly where I screwed up. Now I have a boost control soleniod and much better control through megasquirt. I learned that it only takes one big change, like you said, to blow stuff up. Since I got it back together I've been taking it slow, one change at a time, log a run, review the log, move on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you will look at it from the bottom you can see where the cylinders are not covered or getting air forced through the fins.you can exten the type 1 plates about 1.5~2" formed to the cylinder. or extend from the uppers down to about 1" from the lower plates (so the air has a good place to escape, (if it can get out it cant cool). steel or soft aluminum formes pretty easy and can be rivited to the other parts easely, I also like the way the 356/912 tins are done with a spliter in the center between the cylinders(kinda like the type 3 cool tins has)so the air id directed and not just hiting a flat wall then having to fight to get out,just like a head intake port a better path will pass more air and cool better.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
mightymouse wrote:
What turbo is on this setup? where is timing set and how? ditch the shit 92s or this will happen again and again. The cyl wall is far too thin.
BUT... cylinder pressure was obviously WAY Too high due to improper timing at peak torque.

I'm running a Comp CT4.. ignition is thru megasquirt w timing set to 24 deg under boost.

I have since replaced the cylinders and rings, ditched the copper head shims and I have the overboost protection set to 15psi. It's running excellent with no problems so far.

Yes, the cylinders are super thin... but I think the carnage could have been avoided had I not plumbed the wastegate wrong and had the overboost protection off.

ahhhhh ok. Yeah huge boost spike will damage things quick.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
I know my Walbro 255lph couldn't keep up with my ID1000's on my 2276 for very long. I saw 100%DC on the dyno and leaned out big time on the track, top of 4th @18psi when running E85. Make sure your hardware is up to the task...I thought mine was...

Okay Chip you were right..

Well I did some datalogging and pushed the engine a little harder on the top end.

99.8% duty cycle around 6800 rpm at 15psi boost.

Fuel pressure is set to 45 psi static with a 1:1 boost referenced regulator.

So at 15psi boost my fuel pressure should be around 60psi ? I don't think I can crank it up any further without the risk of the injectors not opening right?

I'm currently running the injectors alternating with 2 squirts per cycle. I'm thinking about trying to run batch fire with only 1 squirt, but not really sure if this will bring the duty cycle down any.. I'll be moving the same amount of fuel, just lose the dead time in between squirts.

When I first got the engine running I tried batch firing and it seemed to run rough... could have been other issues though.
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont blow this one. I aint got no more cylinders... Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going out on a lim hear,as I realy know nothing about this stuff, but I did have a friend that did(well afew that realy did) but this 1 guy had a shelby turbo glh omni,(aka vw I think, Im not sure if it was the vw motor or the mopar motor) and that thing would fly, turbo,spray, and I remember him saying he had addedn a 5th injector to the intake plenum, and no more blown off hoods & inter coolers&motors. I dont have a clue as to how it was fired or any of that. this was a full bodied street car just as it came from dodge, other then engine mods.as I recall it ran in the high 6's(1/Cool with stickey tires.and was his daily driver.& it was under warranty from dodge,when he blew it up the first few times He would pull the spray & the extra injector off & tell them it went boom, and they would repower it. so is thera a way to add another injector up streem???that would add just enough so you dont have to eff with the flow of the others so much?? remember it's just a thought& I know nothing about hairdryers & FI. other than friends stuff(mostly v8's, outlaw&promod)
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are kits for that reason. They work - but give some of the same problems as a single carb, i.e. uneven fuel distribution.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you guys brought that up...

I would like to add some alcohol spray in the intake, as my intake temps are pretty high.. I have no intercooler.

So.. I was thinking about this:

I have an older SMC alky injection controller, that pulse width modulates the ground signal to the pump. It has two adjustable setpoints for coming on at a certain boost pressure, and maxing out at another boost pressure. I was thinking about wiring it up to an injector to see if it would work that way. Since I'm running E85, I could just tap off my fuel rail and let the SMC unit control the injector. Might be an easy way to have progressive alcohol injection?
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veedubcrazy wrote:
Dont blow this one. I aint got no more cylinders... Laughing

haha I'm gonna try not too. I still have my two spares that looked ok, but I assume they have been stressed pretty bad.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
99.8% duty cycle around 6800 rpm at 15psi boost.

You need larger injectors, better pump, or both.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ this. Buy ID1000's and smile.

Also.. who is tuning it?

Note to EVERYONE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:

Also.. who is tuning it?

ID1000's will way outflow your pump, since their flow attributes increase with pressure whereas your pump loses flow like crazy as the pressure goes up. You either need to change pump and injectors, or get rid of the E85. This is what I ran into. Short term solution was pull the E85. I changed the pump over the winter to a Bosch 044 style pump-http://www.jayracing.com/fuel-pumps-c-2_5/jay-racing-pro-series-044-fuel-pump-p-297.html
I have yet to put E85 back in the system since I have set set a few ambitious 91 octane performance goals, but I think I should be able to get away with it a bit better than before. I have seen pretty high DC on gasoline too though, so bigger injectors may be in order if I want to really lean on the system with e85. I would recommend getting a way to log fuel pressure on there asap. It make diagnosing injector/pump flow issues much easier.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
mightymouse wrote:

Also.. who is tuning it?

ID1000's will way outflow your pump, since their flow attributes increase with pressure whereas your pump loses flow like crazy as the pressure goes up. You either need to change pump and injectors, or get rid of the E85. This is what I ran into. Short term solution was pull the E85. I changed the pump over the winter to a Bosch 044 style pump-http://www.jayracing.com/fuel-pumps-c-2_5/jay-racing-pro-series-044-fuel-pump-p-297.html
I have yet to put E85 back in the system since I have set set a few ambitious 91 octane performance goals, but I think I should be able to get away with it a bit better than before. I have seen pretty high DC on gasoline too though, so bigger injectors may be in order if I want to really lean on the system with e85. I would recommend getting a way to log fuel pressure on there asap. It make diagnosing injector/pump flow issues much easier.

WHA?

I put ID1000s on all my builds, coupled with a walbro 255.

yes you do need a large sized line to feed an ethanol system, but you shouldnt need a walbro 400 LPH till after about 400 to the tire. I doubt either of you are making 400 to the tire.

Note to EVERYONE.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
Chip B. wrote:
mightymouse wrote:

Also.. who is tuning it?

WHA?

I put ID1000s on all my builds, coupled with a walbro 255.

yes you do need a large sized line to feed an ethanol system, but you shouldnt need a walbro 400 LPH till after about 400 to the tire. I doubt either of you are making 400 to the tire.

I know that a lot of import tuners use the 255 and IDs. A local Honda guru said that a very effective e85 setup runs a walbro and bosch 044 in series, with the walbro as the feeder. Makes tons of pressure as well as tons of flow.
I will add that i was dealing with some voltage issues at the time, i think i was at 11v or so volts crossing the stripe on the pass where i was 100%dc and 14:1afr at 18psi boost. I know that was causing issues. It lost 30whp on the dyno when it pitched the fan belt.

In conversation with tech support at Injector Dynamics they told me that the Walbro 255 wasn't going to cut it on an ACVW motor making much power with ID1000s. Mine made 280whp on a very green tune without any time to actually find the power while on the dyno. It broke the belt and then we were done. I would like to see 400whp, after some very recent upgrades. We'll see if the system can keep up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: