Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Guide Bushing for E-Brake shaft
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flaquito1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Guide Bushing for E-Brake shaft Reply with quote

Has anyone found a source for new guide bushings for a 1968-79 Bay Window Bus. Mine is missing and the extra "slop" between the support bracket and the shaft allows the brake to be released very easily and sometimes in a very in oportune time! The bushing will keep the shaft tighter in it's travel in other words. I've thought about using a grommet but they aren't really stiff enough and would eventually pop out of the bracket anyway. I've found used ones at the salvage yard but if you try to remove them, they are so old and brittle that they will break...Them back to step one!
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm Jeffery from bus-ok in Netherlands, I think I seen something like this in there NOS parts listing on there site. Maybe
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure which part you mean, do you have early bay with inside cable adjustment or later bay with adjustment underneath. Do you have a picture?
Do you mean the hinge pin bushing for the e-brake handle? You might just have to get one made at a machine shop.
flaquito1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Guide Bushing for E-Brake Shaft Reply with quote

The bushing on the E-Brake shaft support bracket (under the dash) that the shaft slides back and forth through when you set/release the E-Brake/parking brake. It keeps the shaft centered and steady. It was originally made from plastic thus after years in a bus it becomes brittle and relatively impossible to remove intact. About the size of a quarter. If I had a lathe, I could turn something that would last forever but...I don't have a lathe. Maybe a drill press and a file...With a load of patience! In other words, used ones are almost useless as they are work-hardened and will break when installation is attempted.
flaquito1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Guide Bushing for E-Brake Shaft Reply with quote

The bushing on the E-Brake shaft support bracket (under the dash) that the shaft slides back and forth through when you set/release the E-Brake/parking brake. It keeps the shaft centered and steady. It was originally made from plastic thus after years in a bus it becomes brittle and relatively impossible to remove intact. About the size of a quarter. If I had a lathe, I could turn something that would last forever but...I don't have a lathe. Maybe a drill press and a file...With a load of patience! In other words, used ones are almost useless as they are work-hardened and will break when installation is attempted.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piece you're looking for is called the guide sleeve. The one that sits in the trim plate on the end of the ratchet bar bracket. Anyone out there know where to get one? I know I could use one. Can anyone make some?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for this myself right now. I've located them in Europe but the shipping is a killer. Anyone come up with an alternate or know of one that's available?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil_azza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: bush Reply with quote

http://www.deimosaircooled.com/products/interior/bay-window-bus/controls/handbrake/211-711-423

http://www.status-vw.co.uk/211-711-423-01c-handbrake-guide-bush.html

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Category/0/Shop_by_Vehi...brake.html

all around 1.50 here so thats around 2.41 if u wanted to get a few together sort a address etc send me the money or buy and send to me i can post to a single person over there if this would be cheaper? and you could send to whome ever your end? just an idea guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting proposal, I'd be in for a couple.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a job for a 3D printer.

Aloha
tp
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was contemplating spinning one up on the lather out of Delrin, but it's so much easier to just buy one.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Well I was contemplating spinning one up on the lather out of Delrin, but it's so much easier to just buy one.

There is someone in the Vanagon world that makes a delrin bushing for the sliding door handle. I bought one and installed it on my '87 Vanagon. Excellent part, well made, perfect fit, but, at this time, I cannot find the manufacturer. If we could find him he might be interested in turning out a few parking brake handle guide bushings.

Aloha
tp
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Interesting proposal, I'd be in for a couple.

aeromech wrote:
Me too

Me too and probably many others.
I went to the Cool Air site in the UK and am inquiring about the shipping price for ten.

Aloha
tp
lil_azza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quote to california and it was 18.50 so what that about $30 so could work if there was enough, i do get 10% off at cool air too
If ur a member of earlybay. Had a certain amount of posts cool air say they will give 10% if u contact them

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42020

Hope this helps
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh.....why fabricate.....thats a split panel bushing. You can buy them, from mcmaster carr and possibly fastenal. Unless the size is grossly special, you whoul be able to find a part largely identical in a wide range of places.

Delrin, probably....although delrin is a bit brittle for a flexy part like that one.
The proper anti-wear material would be UHMW or mds filled nylon. Someone post the basic dimensions. Ray
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Ray,
I just measured using a digital vernier caliper and what I got was:

Shaft OD: .552"
Hole in panel: .795"

I've purchased from McMaster-Carr before and found them to be great. As I remember the package arrived the next day. I'll go take a look on their site. I hope you're right.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Okay Ray,
I just measured using a digital vernier caliper and what I got was:

Shaft OD: .552"
Hole in panel: .795"

I've purchased from McMaster-Carr before and found them to be great. As I remember the package arrived the next day. I'll go take a look on their site. I hope you're right.

Yeah...McMaster Carr is just plain awesome. I have literally built entire production lines straight from the catalog. Its all in stock. I have been to their Atlanta branch to pick up from will-call. About a million square feet stacked 35 feet high...all computer/conveyorized....awesome!

The size you are looking for is metric 14 ID x 20 OD.....or 9/16" X 13/16 (actual is 25.5/32")....can probably get away with a 19mm outer diameter.

You need to know thickness also and the thickness of the panel//part is snaps into so you can get the barbed section the right distance from the flange.

These might work http://www.mcmaster.com/#panel-grommets/=toego8

Part #5269T43 is slightly oversized on the OD (27/32") and is made of black or white nylon...your choice. $7.10 for a bag of 100

Also http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1397/Bushings-Plugs/ some interesting choices

and http://www.steinair.com/store.cfm?tlcatid=14

And of course these guys have the baddest ass selection of plastic strain relief and hole bushings http://www.heyco.com/Strain_Relief_Bushings/produc...f_Bushings

Here is another brand with a sizing tool http://www.cableorganizer.com/richco/open-snap-in-...Mgod2EoAfw

and http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/open-snap-in-bushings.php

and http://www.pacergroup.net/Categories.aspx?Id=Snap_Bushing

I have actually bought split panel bushings identical in design to what is required. There are a zillion manufacturers. Just have to shop.

Keywords: panel bushing, split panel bushing, snap in panel bushing, split snap in panel bushing, snap bushing, split flanged bushing, snap in flanged bushing

But what you are looking for is a self locking, snap-in, flanged panel knock-out bushing.

I am still searching but I have seen over 200 designs just in the past 20 minutes. There should be no reason whatsoever to fabricate a part like this. Among the thousands of designs and sizes available for like....pennies each...its just a time factor for searching. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...looking through the Cords Canada catalog right now...just an AWESOME array of usable stuff. See pages 16-18 http://www.cordscanada.com/cords_catalogue_v2.php
Ray
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject just sorta dropped but I still need a bushing. Ray, can you please point directly to the part that you think will work? Anyone else have an idea? Getting some from Europe is still an option if we can do a group buy.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: