Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pitman arm stop
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Pitman arm stop Reply with quote

I went to mock up my ball joint front beam on my Dave Barrett chassis today, and the lower mount was in the same spot as the pitman arm (steering) stop on the beam. Is this stop necessary in an off road buggy? I'm assuming no, but I thought I would ask before I cut it off. I cut the bottom off it so my beam would bolt up. The stop is still functional but only held on at the top right now. I could add a gusset or something not interfering with the beam mount, but if I don't need it I'd rather just cut it off completely.

Soooo, is it necessary in a fiberglass buggy?

70% street use, 30% off road if that help / matters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txdunebuggy101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question The oe one on my rail was cut off and a new one was made,crudely,but effective. ...
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the pittman arm now "stop" on the frame?
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to keep it. If you dont have it then the tie rods binding or tires rubbing or something else will stop it and break or wear out other parts. Necessary? probably not
DavidB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the ball joint stop interfers with the lower mount on my chassis, you can cut only the bottlw half of the stop off, and weld on a tab to reinforce the top half, there is room for that is you insist on using the stop
most all fiberglass buggies use the body for a steering stop, you will know when it is rubbing. crude be effective for 45 years!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: