Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Fasty Danish barn find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brimfull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to that guys work some great pics of bits I've gotta do to mine in there Cool
On one of the restos there's some inner fender work being done and a part I've never seen before as a repair panel- anybody know please if it was available or if it's an nos piece? Tried to copy the link but I can't, bug it's the piece of inner fender that looks like the same shape as a beetle rear fender if that makes sense?
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brimfull wrote:
Thanks for the link to that guys work some great pics of bits I've gotta do to mine in there Cool
On one of the restos there's some inner fender work being done and a part I've never seen before as a repair panel- anybody know please if it was available or if it's an nos piece? Tried to copy the link but I can't, bug it's the piece of inner fender that looks like the same shape as a beetle rear fender if that makes sense?

Which inner piece are you referring too? If its the red piece on the inner rear wheel well, that was a repair panel he found from a guy here in DK. NLA I believe, but I have seen them pop up from time to time on eBay. He really does some good clean work and is the best in DK from what I am told by various vw folks here.
1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
brimfull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thanks, that was the part. Never seen one before but will have to keep my eyes out for one Very Happy
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me if this section of the rear wheel well and forward section is the same size for all years notch and fastbacks? I have found some NOS repair panels, but want to be sure they will fit (or be close enough) before I buy. The guy has allot of early panels, early heater channels etc, that he may have aquired for his Notch, but I am not sure if they will fit my year. Thanks all!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
Can anybody tell me if this section of the rear wheel well and forward section is the same size for all years notch and fastbacks? I have found some NOS repair panels, but want to be sure they will fit (or be close enough) before I buy. The guy has allot of early panels, early heater channels etc, that he may have aquired for his Notch, but I am not sure if they will fit my year. Thanks all!

David, that section is similar on the 3 body styles thru the years, but the early cars used a different heater outlet and lower hinge arrangement from your car. You could have your body guy adjust it though, so it would work for your car. It would probably be cheaper to have that done, rather than ship a later section over from the states. Shocked
I only say that, as early Squares and Notchbacks used a lot of the same parts up until 66, when the Square and Fastback started sharing parts and the Notch became it's own car like a T-34.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks Bobnotch!
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted a WTB ad for this section - if anyone in Europe has a donor piece, please contact me as I'm ready to buy. I do have a possible lead on a piece in the USA just waiting for a shipping quote.

Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody used the side marker seals (both lens and body) from ISP? Do they fit correctly?
I tried to clean mine this weekend, but they are pretty far gone.
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked these up recently and they are a perfect fit for the repair areas on the rear inner fenders. Body guy coming to assess the project on Monday...getting really excited now making some progress...still searching for the front inner fender section for the driver side.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
Picked these up recently and they are a perfect fit for the repair areas on the rear inner fenders. Body guy coming to assess the project on Monday...getting really excited now making some progress...still searching for the front inner fender section for the driver side.

Those should fix quite a bit of your rust. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
The intent of my post was to think about how much time it would take to work a piece in versus replacing the whole area with four cuts. May be cheaper to do. It's worth a question being asked of your preferred body shop that would be able to pull this off. It would seem to me to be cheaper (don't like that word) or reasonable to explore your options before getting a bunch of metal to piece-meal in. The previous owner tried and you see what took place. Not putting his efforts down but if you have the chance and finances work with both the securing the piece and getting it grafted in...

Explore it and see what the shop has to say. Just some thoughts.

I met up with the guy who will do the repair work yesterday. Monte you were spot on. He basically said its much easier to cut and replace the full sections in from a donor car. We also decided to pull the body off and do it proper.
Luckily, I have all the pieces for the rear inners. Now just looking for good front end sections. He really knew his stuff so I'm confident the work will be top notch and my fasty will be saved! He said in general it was one of the cleanest original cars he's seen, so that made me feel kinda good after months of cleaning and dirty work. Hopefully if I can get the front end pieces, the car can be essentially done and ready for paint by mid July...I might get to go for a drive this year!!!!
Otto1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rear wheel arch repair sections look fantastic. I wish those were being remanufactured as I could really do with them.

The only realistic (less expensive) option to repair mine is to find a solid donor car and down here in NZ and that is nearly impossible.

C'mon Gerson, there is a (small) market for this type 3 stuff that is going to explode in the next few years as more VW nuts catch the type 3 wave.
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto1969 wrote:
Those rear wheel arch repair sections look fantastic. I wish those were being remanufactured as I could really do with them.

The only realistic (less expensive) option to repair mine is to find a solid donor car and down here in NZ and that is nearly impossible.

C'mon Gerson, there is a (small) market for this type 3 stuff that is going to explode in the next few years as more VW nuts catch the type 3 wave.

If you wish, I can see if the guy I bought these from has more pieces...I think he might. I'm sure shipping to NZ from here would be expensive, but cheaper than a donor car I imagine. Just say the word mate and I'll check it out for you.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
The intent of my post was to think about how much time it would take to work a piece in versus replacing the whole area with four cuts. May be cheaper to do. It's worth a question being asked of your preferred body shop that would be able to pull this off. It would seem to me to be cheaper (don't like that word) or reasonable to explore your options before getting a bunch of metal to piece-meal in. The previous owner tried and you see what took place. Not putting his efforts down but if you have the chance and finances work with both the securing the piece and getting it grafted in...

Explore it and see what the shop has to say. Just some thoughts.

I met up with the guy who will do the repair work yesterday. Monte you were spot on. He basically said its much easier to cut and replace the full sections in from a donor car. We also decided to pull the body off and do it proper.
Luckily, I have all the pieces for the rear inners. Now just looking for good front end sections. He really knew his stuff so I'm confident the work will be top notch and my fasty will be saved! He said in general it was one of the cleanest original cars he's seen, so that made me feel kinda good after months of cleaning and dirty work. Hopefully if I can get the front end pieces, the car can be essentially done and ready for paint by mid July...I might get to go for a drive this year!!!!

Hope you find a clean front end to work into your project. At least there won't be a lot of grinding to get done!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found several NOS inner front fender sections, but they are from early models. I know the overall length is different than mine, but would it be possible to cut the areas I need and use the sections for repair or are they just completely different? The pieces are not near me so I can't measure...
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can anyone answer the question about early vs. late inner fender sections? I need to make a decision soon. Would the early sections be close enough to repair the section from the A-pillar to about half way forward?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the passenger side won't be formed to mount the fuel pipe & have the mount bracket at the top.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
No, the passenger side won't be formed to mount the fuel pipe & have the mount bracket at the top.

Thanks Mike. I figured as much. I'd buy that piece in your photo though!! Smile Those front sections are the last pieces I need.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Add in that the earlier pieces are shaped differently, due to a narrower and shorter hood. This is the main reason you can't use the early nose pieces on a "late" front end.

And yes, that piece Mike has is a nice clean piece. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it doesn't look as good on the other side, but could be sandblasted and used.

I also offered David this drivers side in a little better shape, but I already started cutting it out. It would have to come as 2 separate pieces to weld back together?

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: