Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AR-15 builders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.8 SPC is in the dollar a round range. Pricey if you only intend to put holes in paper.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like over demand has slowed down and supply is catching up. prices are down from when I first started my build. even ammo has gone down recently
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw AR-15 and this is what I thought of.
I built this kit amplifier/receiver when I was 18, and was my 1st reference for the thread title.
Oops! Laughing

https://www.google.com/search?q=heathkit+ar-15+rec...B371[/url]
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to build one from the ground up but since the shooting yesterday at LAX I would guess that the shit sticks in power will push for them to be banned all together in CA I need to buy one now. Hmm

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the parts that you want and assemble it yourself if that is the route that you want to go. The assembly process is easy.
Complete guns get a 11% tax added to them, assembled guns do not.
They want to take your property if you assemble them or buy them whole.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
6.8 SPC is in the dollar a round range. Pricey if you only intend to put holes in paper.

Yes, very much so. That is why I collect all shells can get and just reload.

I bought 8 units Rock River Arms AR stripped lowers all at once. Ordered another 4 units.

So now finished the 2 Camp Perry rifles, 1 w/ Krieger NM barrel, 1 w/ Armalite NM barrel. Both w/ Geissle triggers.

Also, built 4 units M4s... all w/ Colt barrels... 2 short (14.5 + 2 " flash hiders) and 2 more w/ Colt 16" LE barrels. All of them group under 1/2 MOA w/
2-stage triggers.

I have 1 practice AR-15 w/ DelTon heavy barrel. Hard to practice w/ just 1 rifle so will build more for both my kids.

Built 1 AR rifle w/ STag heavy barrel but was not impressed w/ the grouping...just under 1 MOA. So will probably give that away.

All my uppers are USGI..Colt or FN original un-issued. Found a guy in OH had lots of them. BCG are all Colt or FN machinegun heavy. Other than these parts, there is not a whole lot in building ARs.

I am also building an M14 NM...just collecting parts right now. NO rush really.

Have 2ea Schultz Larse 22LR smallbore rifles, 1 Anschutz model 54 Super...all will shoot 8mm holes on the bullseye.

Anyone shoot CAmp Perry High Power??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now this is my goal. Awesome!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have finished my goal of 20 full length rifles. Got hold of some really nice..new USGI barrels...FNMI and 3S679 cage code barrels. All have full upper asemblies.

Also have a full cherry heavy Colt 1/7 twist NM barrel pre-ban. It shoots fine at 1-inch groups at 100 yd. Not as impressive as my heavy Bushmaster NM heavy - a true tack driver.

Got rid of my Delton 20" barrel. Got rid of my Stag barrel. They shot fine....but I wanted all USGI units.

I also built 4 each of the 14.5" heavy SOCOM M4 barrels into my carbines w/ Colt uppers. These shoot tight groups too.
Geissle is by far the best triggers I have found for the AR15. The Rock River NM triggers are fine if you don't want to spend the extra $$ on Geissle units.

All my BCGs are either FN or Colt units. Although I have a couple of Advance Ordnance ones, 1Toolcraft - 1B1B6. All are best ones you can ever hope for.

My next project will be on the M1A NM now. Will see if I can assemble several units for competition.

I will encourage people to build their own as you can really choose the parts and end up w/ a really good quality AR very close to what we have in the military.

Well..till next next time. Shoot straight and stay safe.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it took me a long time to finally assemble my first one. its done and shot great!
collected most the parts for my second. Id like to start customizing it this time around.
Last one was built off basic cheap stuff but im still happy with it!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parts are getting more fair recently. I came upon some nice USGI rifle buffer tubes (color grey). They are like $29 each new...so picked up all I can afford. The black commercial tubes are good too.

Buffers are buffers so you can get them from anyone. But nothing like the old Vietnam-issue still in wrappers.

For ejection port covers, the USGI issue are the best...very thick. Color is like flat 'green' almost...but a hint of black if you stare at it. I have bought BCM or Stag brands and you can tell the difference. They are very thin.

If you just want a combat trigger, the stock ones are fine. have to do some honing to take out the grittiness. I also like to use full strength USGI springs to assure complete primer strike. Cannot do much about the 'yard-travel' or take-up. I suppose they are there for safety.

Keep at it. You will end up w/ the rifle you will like and keep. I will keep all mine. It also easier to practice when there are several rifles available for few people instead of passing one around. Coz once I warmed up one, I really do not like handing it anyone. It messes up my ritual. Very Happy
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there real savings in building one up yourself? I was looking at a LWRC M6LT that was around $1600 and most of the uppers I have seen were around $900 and up.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Is there real savings in building one up yourself? I was looking at a LWRC M6LT that was around $1600 and most of the uppers I have seen were around $900 and up.

I built mine for around $600 but it's not going to win any competitions. It certainly isn't going to compare to what you are looking at. Hell, my complete upper was only $300 with bcg and charge handle
I enjoyed putting it all together and learning what kinds of things I can do to improve it down the line or fix it if something fails. It was the thrill of the build.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overpaid in 08 when I built mine, but that was right before "Hope and Change!" I had no choice as complete AR's were non existent at the time and I was lucky to over pay for a complete upper. Found a lower a few weeks before those were gone and it took a little doing to get everything else. Sellers were charging more at the time.

You'd need to compare apples to apples in finding out which is the best deal. Find a complete AR you like, go through the parts list, total up the individual items and you'll get your answer.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem w/ cheap complete units is the cheap parts that go into them.

I mean, you can stick whatever barrel you want on any upper. But care must be taken when choosing the bolt carrier groups. ?These you want absolutely ones that are reputable ..not some Chinese crap that can blow up on your face. I only trust the USGI BCGs...Colt, Advance Ordnance, Toolcraft, LMT, FN to name a few...and the Canadian built ones.

All the other parts you can mix match them to your heart's content.

FN uppers are everywhere. Colt uppers are harder to find but they are out there. I found out that Uncle Sam changed out the old style uppers to the Flattops so they are lots of USGI uppers out there unused and available.

Service life also is something to consider on the barrels. Plenty of cheap basic steel barrels out there. But the ones from Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster are made of same steels the gov't required and the only ones I like to use.

I love the chrome lined FNMIs or 3S679 codes (FN)..these you can use several hundred thousand rounds thru them. They group very nice too.

Some of the cheap barrels out there won't group worth a damn. I mean it is functional but cannot say they are tack-drivers.

It is very much fun to build them and addicting too. So something to watch out for. Very Happy
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

If you shop around and wait for stuff to go on sale, you can find some pretty good deals. PSA (http://palmettostatearmory.com) has sales on lowers all the time (both complete and stripped). The other day they had a complete lower on sale with Magpul furniture for $180. Their uppers sell in the $300 range, but dont come with a BCG or charging handle. Which can cost another $200-ish for top tier ones.

I just finished building my first rifle and I spent about $1400, but its all LMT, Daniel Defense, Knight's Armament, BCM stuff (i.e. expensive)

I have some friends who have built nice rifles for less than $800. It just depends on what you want.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
EODinert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread needs more pics. Homebuilds... or 'assemblies', as I just bought parts and put them together.

My 'superlight', weighs 4.9 pounds, all metal. Magnesium lower, JP lightweight BCG, lightened FN hammer forged barrel, and some other light stuff:

Another with an FN CHF barrel, SLP rail, some magpul stuff and an AWC suppressor. The can stays on it full time, and the gas is dialed down for proper and super quiet functioning.

Last, on the left, the Honeybeaver. Sporting a 7.5 inch 5.56 barrel (at the moment), and a funky Canadian stock that looks better than it works.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happiness is a warm gun
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....mama
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:
lots more people are killed by tasers than by AR's

But please do Very Happy Id like to see that.

I haven't worked out the details yet, but the concept involves darts, a blow gun, and a very long 110v extension cord.

be sure not to energize the weapon while pressing you lips on the mouth piece. OUCH!!!!! and I think a 9 volt battery on the tongue hurts, 110 volts, whoopee!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad built this one and just gave it to me for Xmas.

1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: