Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a Baja for my son and have a question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find someone local who is a parts horder and he'll have a box of them laying around or go to a swap meet. That second pic is custom. Shouldn't be hard for you to find a stock assembly since like I posted above, they were all the same. Your car runs in those years right? - seems like you said 68 or something? Unless you have a modified cowl?
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only place I found any close to that.
http://recycledjack.com/009-electrical/009-955.html

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
Find someone local who is a parts horder and he'll have a box of them laying around or go to a swap meet. That second pic is custom. Shouldn't be hard for you to find a stock assembly since like I posted above, they were all the same. Your car runs in those years right? - seems like you said 68 or something? Unless you have a modified cowl?

Thanks for the advice, yes mine is a 68. But just worried that it if they are all the same then why are there so many different type of brackets for mounting it? This one for sure wouldn't mount up even if the holes for the wiper arms lined up??

71StandardReduction wrote:
This is the only place I found any close to that.
http://recycledjack.com/009-electrical/009-955.html

Thank you for that, I will just give them a call. My switch that I installed that was in a box of parts looks different then the one on this assembly so I need to pull that back out as well and run the part number to see what its for.

Well I am currently bouncing back and forth to different areas on the car. I am working on the rear speaker tray, incorporating the battery, sub, cubby and a storage type area since we are not putting in a back seat. I will post up some pics as I get further along.

As always thanks to all that take the time to help out a newbie to the air cooled scene. I appreciate all the help and tips.
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're in the Tucson area, I also highly recommend you checking out azbaja.com
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philthy wrote:
Since you're in the Tucson area, I also highly recommend you checking out azbaja.com

Will do, thanks!
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have been back and forth on many things lately. So much to do yet so close I can't seem to stay focused in one area. I was able to almost get the rear cargo area completed. I need to do some finishing touches to the wall area and hide the screws, and build the floor. I tried many different methods to mount it without screws but nothing was sturdy enough. I found this cool textured rubber material while searching for some black carpet at the fabric store. Was more than the black carpet but with this area, center console I'm making and tied in other places I think it will look cool.

The battery will take 6 screws to get to but I am putting a battery cut off switch inside and remote jump start terminals somewhere in the engine bay. Has a cubby for tools or whatever and the subs amp mounted to it. Rockford Fosgate makes these cool compact amps, PBR300X1 300 Watt BRT Mono. So I will give it a shot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lots done since my last post, but not really as much as I wanted to do.

Light bar wired and installed. Silicon should keep the water out. Don't mind the wire color, I am way over my budget on this build and am using what I have available.

Switches installed and still have to glue the panel on the glove box.

Audio wiring.

PO did some crazy wiring and I'm not sure what is what. Not only because I am in unfamiliar territory with this old bug but also because nothing was labeled, and OEM wire color wasn't used. PO ran wiring all over and I'm not quite sure why. Was going to buy a new harness but budget is blown and I do okay with wiring. But with all this crap I may be kicking myself later. But I was able to get all the new gauges wired up minus the sensors and one vac line, and some of the wiring that I know for sure what it is labeled.

Under the dashed was missed with good paint coverage, so I will most likely paint with por15 or just carpet it, haven't decided yet. My son decided to opt out of wet sanding and polishing the exterior paint so its not perfect. Teenagers, jeez. But its his car.

Well I now have A/C and heat in my garage. Something that's been a long time coming and will help a ton while working out here.

While I was running wire I noticed a little rust on the floor pans so I pulled the tar mats and found some surface rust. I wanted to cut out the factory seat mounts anyway so this all worked out. I wish I would have done this before paint, but oh well.

Cut out the seat mounts and welded up old seat holes, then sealed with Loctite rust neutralizer. Will paint with Por15 after 24 hours as recommended.

Also found this red (orange?) wire that ran along the break line. Anyone know what this is for, or was for? It looks to be in a OEM loom all by itself. Most of the loom broke off. Not the split loom in the picture, its underneath that loom.

And finished one door and mounted up these cool armrest with speaker and cup holder. They were in the pile of parts that came with the car, kinda retro. I don't think the cup holder will have much use though.

One last question, are those tubes near the rear seat on the floor for the heater controls?

New Optima battery hold down and rugged ridge LED light (using it for reverse light) came in from 4 wheel parts finally. The tie down was on back order. A few coats of primer and paint and the tie down is in. It was a tight fit for the battery so I had to bend the bracket out a little bit for the battery to set in the bracket.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dig the sound system setup.

But further proof that no matter what you do, every VW has a rat's nest under the hood

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I really dig the sound system setup.

But further proof that no matter what you do, every VW has a rat's nest under the hood

Thanks Brian, yeah I was going for simple and clean with the audio but wanted to continue the aluminum look. I hope hiding the battery doesn't turn out to be a bad idea.

Rats nest is right. Hopefully I can get it cleaned up and figured out. I have the fiberglass cover painted and ready to cover it all up just in case haha.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job getting your Son out in the garage! I can tell you from experience that he is learning a lot more than you both realize!

Keep up the good work Dad!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fast.
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So got a bit done this weekend in between life stuff.

Por15 on the pans

Fat Mat on the floors and insulation on the firewall, same insulation used on the rear fire wall area. Also painted under the dash with Por15 and will carpet it somehow.

Insulation and padding on the floor

Got the carpet kit out to see how it all fit because just looking at it I wasn't sure how it would all piece together. Come to find out we are missing the two corner pieces for the fire wall ugh. So I am going to have to make some up and get them over to my mother in law to put welt on the edges or may buy the 5 piece kit, not sure yet.

I didn't realize the carpet kits were made around the seat rails so I have to get some pieces made for that area as well.
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the under dash LED lights since we got rid of the dome light, I put one of these LED bolt lights from oznium.com on each side and one in the glove box. Will be adding some lighting to the console and rear area as well.

Playing around with a console idea. Final console will sit up on the center hump, have a cup holder, pocket and cell phone shelf with USB connection to radio. I will also make the final shelf out of PVC not wood. Seats mocked up as well. Passenger side only tilts so I am making sure it will sit even with the drivers seat with my son driving, and have to be sure they don't bump into the arm rests.

Rubber mallet on the sills to hold the carpet in chipped the paint, good thing the PO bought some aluminum door sill covers. Will get those in soon, still have some things to work out. Also mounted the front bumper and passenger side fenders (not pictured). We are going to re paint the fenders since he doesn't like his original idea of black fenders.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the console idea
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
like the console idea

Thanks, its going to be difficult because there is little room in these bugs plus the pedal is so close to the hump. I usually use ABS for these anyway but for this its a must so I can mold the console away from the pedal. It will be pretty narrow but the cup holder alone will be worth it. Plus it will serve as a dual purpose of hiding all the wiring.
MQUnlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Your son is going to have a good looking bug.
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MQ I appreciate it. It wont be a serious off roader but a nice street Baja for him. Plus I'm learning a lot myself about these bugs.
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not a ton done. I spent most of the day yesterday driving out of town to pick up these bad boy 3 piece wheels for my c10, 12" out back and 10" wide for the front. Then went to a buddies house to "fix a few things". His upstairs bathroom had a major leak under the sink that he thought was coming from after showering Question So a $300 water bill later and what will turn out to be at least a couple grand or more in materials resulted from that bad problem solving. This is what happens when people know your in construction, damn now you guys know lol. Well we ripped out about 3 sheets worth of ceiling downstairs, the cabinets and tile up in the bathroom, set up a bunch of fans and I will be back in a week after things dry out.

Not my truck but what he had them on.

So finished up the drivers door, and now all the speakers are wired. I had to re do this door a few times for multiple things. Basically it was the first door I started on and most of my trial and error was done there. The last time I had to pull out the wing window because the knob for the lock fell off. Good thing the PO had a set of new ones. A couple of rivets and its perfect. For water barriers if I cant buy a reproduction set I use 10mil plastic and adhesive silicon, also a little duct tape to keep it secure while drying.

I started on the wiring under the column to get rid of the butt connectors and do things right with solder and heat shrink. I got a few wires in and found that some of them were different colored on either side of the butt connector and 3 random wires that aren't listed in any of my books or online pics I found of the schematics. They come from the column and I cant find the same color wires anywhere under the hood. Any ideas Question

So I got frustrated there and decided to remove the springplates (again) now that I have learned I can notch them safely to get a couple more inches to level out the bug. Its sagging a bit right now. This is a pain in the a$$ and hope this is the last time. I won't finish tonight because walking dead comes on at 6 and its about the only show I really sit down to watch.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware that notching spring plates can result in shocks not being long enough, but then installing longer shocks can result in the shocks being too long when you bottom out the shock with plenty more suspension travel left.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thedipstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Beware that notching spring plates can result in shocks not being long enough, but then installing longer shocks can result in the shocks being too long when you bottom out the shock with plenty more suspension travel left.

I appreciate the tip. From what I have read online you can re-drill the lower shock mount hole to make up for some of the loss.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: