Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can the 1.8t run backward?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update-

I can now make 100% new shifter, shifter box, and linkage. No more collecting or working with rusted old worn out stock vanagon shifter linkage. D Clymer has run into the same issue in trying to collect cores for his Subaru 5 speeds, a lot of them are just worn out junk at this point, it is better to work with new material.
This entire shaft can be put in the van with out even removing the fuel tank. It gives a very nice shifter feel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-side note-

CRIPES!, I drove 342.9 miles on my last tank for fuel! I have never pushed it that far before. That is over 23mpg!

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work; looks really stout. Just to be clear, this shifter will only work with the Passat transaxle, right?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

how about this?

Why not just dub it the "ABW 1.8T" ?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that exhaust Smile In case you want to experiment with sound/flow a bit, this setup has worked very well in my i4 setup. Both mufflers are SS, straight thru, and sound levels are good, with very good flow. Not the cheapest setup, but very good in terms of performance. Being that the "ABW 1.8T" is likely running 1000rpm less than a stock setup, it sure sounds nice and civilized at cruise in your youtube vids.

23mpg is awesome. I can only come close (22.5) at 90km/h with zero load and no racks...driving like a granny, and with a measly 140hp on a good day.

You need to get a TDI running backwards now..ha.

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist-

Yes, will only work with passat/Audi/boxster transmission.

Tencentlife-

I like that suggestion, it may stick.

Denwood-

Nice job with that exhaust. Interesting to see the two mufflers. The one I used on Quattrosyncro is a stainless one from a Vanaru. A customer left it behind after I put on a ford one to make his quieter.
It is noticeably louder than the ford one I use on the 1.8ts. I like the sound but on a long drive I prefer the quieter exhaust.

As far as reversing a TDI. All I will say now is there is an ALH in the works. Once done and tested, it will also allow the use of the later 1.8ts. I don't have time to work on it right now, hopefully in the fall.

Andrew/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Very soon.....

stay tuned for a complete write up on this one. Also notice complete new exhaust- all stainless except for the muffler that is which is easily available from any parts store for about $40.

So lucky me I now have possession of Andrew's 1.8T kit. Complete as the photos show, with his new shifter, and exhaust.
First thing I noticed when looking the unit over, is Andrew is very detailed, every wire is labelled. He also included a few pages of wiring instructions.
I will be doing a step by step, photos included of the installation of the reverse 1.8T with Audi 5 speed transmission.
Initially the 1.8T was intimidating to me, I have not worked on any modern Volkswagen engine, but the more I'm exposed to the motor, and Andrews great labeling, I think this going to be pretty straight forward. Even the fuel lines are labelled in and out!!
I think I can say, if you are contemplating this conversion, don't wait for the write up, with Andrews labeling and completeness of the kit, you should be able to do the install.
I've had a few unrelated personal setbacks, and my Westfalia has become my daily driver, as soon as my daily driver is running again (2004 Odyssey), I can take the Westy off the road for a few days and get cracking. Really hoping to start towards the end of this month, and complete it within a few days.
Then some serious miles are planned, there will be some long trips this fall.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to reading of your swap!

re: fuel hose labelling. It's very easy to get that mixed up. No, I haven't BTDT on that front, yet, Wink

Keep us posted!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vinziboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: we can't wait Reply with quote

So, end of the month is gone and we have not heard from you.... did you manage to start the conversion? Can't wait to see this happen.
VwTravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word yet on your swap. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product in kit form.
1987 Vanagon GL ej22
1986 Cabriolet
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the expression go-----life is what happens when you are busy planning?
Well I was planning to do the write up all at once, not a day by day as I go, yes it has been longer than I original had planned, but that is entirely my own fault. Been busy with other things, and my garage is too cramped for me to work comfortably, so the weather has had to co-operate.
Presently the motor is installed, (and running, nice sound) what is left to make it mobile is the installation of the shift linkage, the throttle cable, and the raised deck framing.
I have quite a few pictures to post, will likely start a new thread with a link here. A very brief summary: Drop the old motor and trans out with all associated parts in the engine bay. Bolt up Andrews front transmission mount, and hoist the 1.8T into position, the rear mount lines up the the Vanagon body, and you drill 4 new holes to mount the rear engine mount to the body.
Prior to drilling and mounting, you will see where the temperature sensor at the front of the motor will interfere with the firewall, a couple of cuts and a bend to the firewall towards the front will take care of that.
Connect the brake booster to the intake manifold, bolt the inner CVs up to the transmission, connect the flexible clutch line to the slave cylinder, connect the fuel in and out lines. Did I mention that all this so far bolts up like a factory install??
Now drill 2 holes to mount the new coolant tank, drill two holes to mount the air cleaner assembly. Bolt up the stock power steering line to the 1.8T pump.
Mount the exhaust up to the turbo, and bolt the support to an existing hole in the body. Mount the muffler with tail pipe and drill two holes for the support.
The wiring harness came prepped and every sensor/connector was labelled.
There was no round 7 pin connector, so this you can source or use your old one. Andrew supplies a chart to solder each colored wire to the round plug.
So far, easy and pretty much bolt together. Only one small delay for me, my van is a 1985 Westfalia, at my request, I insisted I be able to have AC. Andrew fabricates a compressor bracket to mount a different compressor than my WBX compressor, and supplied partial lines to bolt up to the compressor. I have been busy making adapters to connect my lines to the "new" compressor.
So a brief summary of where I'm at, tomorrow I expect to complete the job and have my first drive, very anxious for that!!
The raised deck is 1.5", I asked Andrew not to supply the frame work, I would take care of that aspect, I have the frame made, but again, I have a Westfalia, and the rear closet will require some attention to fit.
Requires regular tools, a drill and bits, a recip saw, a soldering iron and heat shrink.
I used a moving dolly to roll the motor under the van, and an engine hoist to raise it into position.
Something specific you would like to know? I'll try to detail it.
PtownVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Something specific you would like to know? I'll try to detail it.

The kit you have have came with the 1.8T engine already modified to run backwards, is that correct?

Thanks! Smile
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I bought an entire kit from Andrew which included a fully assembled motor by him, modified to run backwards, a 5 speed transmission with shift linkage engineered by him.
This is an entire package, well thought out, the only unknown, is how long can a transmission last running backwards?? (the motor I have no doubts about) There are a few of these conversions running around now, with no negative effects to date, Andrew has around 20K miles on his own now. Even if the transmission is short lived, honestly, it wouldn't bother me, they are plentiful, and cheap.
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for detailing your progress, glad to hear firsthand feedback on it. It was great seeing the project from concept carried to this (kits!).
Best of luck, and please keep posting.

(IMHO this CCW1.8t project was one of the (if not the) best threads on the Samba (Van/EV) boards in the last 5 years I've been lurking.

(No offense to the Subie guys, this motor and project just seem like the Van frustrated engineers at VW wish they could have built)
NINETEEN85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready for a ride that will have you grinning ear to ear. I drove his first conversion and I was laughing out loud in disbelief as i rocked thru the gears! Vanagon turned Audi A4. The simplicity and economic realities of the 1.8 conversion will Revolutionize the conversion community. It's worth putting faith in the trans. You will want to tune your suspension after if you haven't already. And get it chipped! Van life is about to jump off the chain in a big way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a suby, and I completely agreed that seeing this whole process come to a kit is one of the coolest most innovative threads ever!
vinziboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are very good news, glad to hear everything went well so far. I'm on the lookout! And if you drive by Quebec City any time, I have a nice driveway with free electrical hookup.... and I'm close to a park and all.... and I would really like to see this at work.

Congrats on the install!
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be by Quebec City next summer for sure.
So I had a couple of details left, install the shift linkage and throttle cable and raised engine cover.
Installed the shift linkage, got the throttle cable modified and installed. Looked at the rear engine cover in the garage...naw, got to try it!!! Even no plate! I have a storage box that my plate mounts on and it was removed from the rear of the van to do the install.

Engine starts immediately, not the slightest hint of hesitation. Quiet, and vibration free!! Looking at the top of the motor it is hard to "see" it is running.
Shifting is effortless, moved through all the gears parked to test the linkage (did this previously several times not running too).
O.K so were off, only did a local run (remember no plate), but what a difference.
Very pleased, also kept local to ensure I didn't forget something, loose bolt, fuel line clamp etc. All is good, got it up to operating temperature,all looks good. Unfortunately I work all week and have a couple of kids to entertain in the evenings, but next week end is going to see some miles and serious testing.
Couple of last items, in the tools I forgot to mention a set of ramps.

Another thing thing that can not go unmentioned, dealing with Andrew has seriously been a pleasure, I can not say enough good things, he was there for every question I threw at him, reconfirming a few things I should have already known. He sent me pictures of details, answered the same question again! All in all, he made this install happen. To say the very least I'm an ecstatic customer.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Unfortunately I work all week and have a couple of kids to entertain in the evenings, but next week end is going to see some miles and serious testing.

Sounds like later this week will be perfect for taking pictures and posting them here!
Glad to read that the install went so well, and the quality support that went with it.
Enjoy!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go again, making me jealous. ..
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 33

Jump to: