Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can the 1.8t run backward?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's that winning lottery ticket .. I know I've got one around here someplace.

Laughing
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how soon can we expect a CARB compliant kit? Pray

I really hope this can become a reality for us here on the "Left Coast".
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluntlunchbox wrote:
So how soon can we expect a CARB compliant kit? Pray

I really hope this can become a reality for us here on the "Left Coast".

This is not a big company, he's a guy who has to provide for his family while trying to create something unique in his "spare" (ha ha) time.
I think this is a "time will tell" situation.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
vinziboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES ! That is very promising. But I must agree - we need pics or it did not happen Very Happy
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously admiring the 5spd virtue of this installation.
the 1.8T in my van with the aircooled gearing is nice.. under 4k at 75mph
and decent fuel economy but I have no love for the oe. shift linkages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington has been around for many years here.
It is most certainly happening and the package couldn't be going to a more deserving owner and van.
Now if I could just put that factory cruise control package together for you Wink
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dylan, cruise is certainly on my wish list, funds are a bit tight at the moment, not only did I purchase Andrews kit this year, but it was also the year of serious home renovations. Try to balance pleasure (the van) with necessities (the house)
Pictures are definitely coming, I have a hard time believing it myself.
I still can't believe how much clutter has been removed with the old motor. This install is so clean, really belongs there.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the raised deck lid installed, took out my head banger AC cabinet and closet to do some work there, cut the closet slightly to accommodate the raised deck.
Took care of small details, like reverse switch hook up, AC compressor lines.
Time for a drive>>>>> MY GOD, a new van, total transformation. Minor detail, my tachometer is not working, so no details of speed vs rpm, but my little 1.9 would work hard to do 120kph, the 1.8t, effortless. This conversion not only met my expectations, but exceeded them!!! yes I'll post pictures. THANK YOU ANDREW.
Over the time I've owned my Westy, I've done upgrades, like all new cooling system, custom big brakes, SA rear drums, new suspension etc. The 1.8t is the icing on the cake.

I should also mention, I'm running a stock ECU, I bought a chipped ECU from Andrew as well, but I will wait to try it out till the motor has some miles on it. No hurry though, I'm pleased as is.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing Applause

Awesome, can't wait for more details.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In for updates to this thread!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a few shots to show it is for real, I cut exactly 1.5" off the side of my closet to allow the stock engine cover to be reused, I made my own raised framework to accept the stock cover, Andrew would have supplied one, but I chose to make my own because originally this kit was to be shipped to me, but later I decided to go down and pick it up.
I made some ABS 1/4" covers for the area around the engine to to support the mattress, and to protect the ECU. The covers just attach with Velcro. The right side can be used for a few small spare parts.
Yes that is a scanguage near the ECU, I installed the OBD2 connetor near the motor, later I will install another in the front for the scanguage, but it means running a wire to the front.
The motor fits really well, and cleans the engine compartment up real nice. I think I'm the only reverse 1.8T in Canada.
Awesome is the only description I have for this conversion, the 5 speed Audi gear box just hums along like it is meant to be run this way.
O.K. the negative......My Westfalia came equipped with a factory gas heater, and Andrew's latest design of shift linkage runs down the center of the van, conflicts with my gas heater. I have removed the gas heater temporarily until I configure another shift linkage, yes I do like my gas heater. (Gas heaters are not common on water cooled Vanagons) Even though I am about 7 months after initially committing to Andrew's kit, and a few months after doing the install 400kms away from Andrew, Andrew is still offering to help in any way possible, even offering to send me an alternative shift linkage to allow the gas heater to be re installed!!!!!
Andrew gets an A+++ for customer service and relations.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting up your pictures Wellington, looks great in there, I like the job you did raising the rear deck.

I made the shifter go through the tunnel above the fuel tank to make it easier to install, you don't even need to drop the fuel tank down to get the horizontal rod through. This way you could easily convert an automatic van over to a five speed just as easy as working with a stock four speed van.
I have never seen a gas heater on a watercoooled vanagon, it figures that the first guy I send a shifter to is one of the few that happens to have one.

Wellington has been awesome to work with, he has given me a bunch of helpful ideas on different ways of improving things.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This. Is. Awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unibagel wrote:
This. Is. Awesome.

Thanks Uni. The really awesome one is my Quattro van. I have only filled up my 2wd blue van once in the past two months because the Quattrosyncro is my first choice. I have gone way up into logging trails and used it to winch out a bunch of heavy logs being used for a log cabin. On the highway it performs just as well, shift it into 5th and the RPM's are nice and low at cruising speed. I keep that one with no carpets, only rubber mats so I can power wash it out like an old jeep.

Andrew-
PtownVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swap looks at home in the back of the Vanagon. Nice and clean. Smile
air-ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can now make 100% new shifter, shifter box, and linkage. No more collecting or working with rusted old worn out stock vanagon shifter linkage. D Clymer has run into the same issue in trying to collect cores for his Subaru 5 speeds, a lot of them are just worn out junk at this point, it is better to work with new material.
This entire shaft can be put in the van with out even removing the fuel tank. It gives a very nice shifter feel.

Would you mind posting a few more details about your shifter? I'm looking to make a shifter for my reversed Subarugears tranny.

Thanks, great thread!

Sean
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have any more pictures handy. Next time am getting into one I can take more.

I can tell you though, I really doubt any of my parts would help with a suby. I can also tell you that there is probably more time involved in the shifter assembly than there is in making the engine run backward. It is amazing how much time that can consume.

-On a side note, that blue van has really not been used since june. Once I got the Syncro one going, It has pretty much just sat there. I put gas in it once in july and once in September.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a pest (ok, maybe a little bit), but are there any further developments in your quest to reverse the TDI?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it 99% planned out in my head. No time to work on it right now.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Not to be a pest (ok, maybe a little bit), but are there any further developments in your quest to reverse the TDI?

I've done a bit more thinking and investigating. The CR diesels are 16V and so altering the cam timing similarly could be accomplished. The ALH accessory bracket would bolt up to the CR block. I could fairly easily build a CCW mTDI injection pump. The CR injectors are longer, but there are other non-electronic injectors that could be modified to fit the CR head. It would require custom manifolds but it appears that there is enough space given the ALH pump angle. The end result would be a ripping 16v 2.0L mTDI that ran backwards. Alternately, a 1.9 could be made to work with a custom cam.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 33

Jump to: