Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

aussie project 4x4 bay
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything new?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Stever70. thanks for still being out there I been off the job with a torn rotator cuff in right shoulder. Back into IT now moved the bus home to my place 3 weeks a go. So far I have set up the engine cover now I just have to line it with a 2nd skin to fill with expanda foam for sound & heat still have figure out the front of the cover for around the timing case area between the seats. I had to get the rear drive shaft shortened more so little things falling into place. I have the biggest part of everything in need now to complete the mechanical side no room for seats in middle row. So will have to be a 5 seater. Will post some pics next week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all. Bit of an update. been running around sorting out & adapter plate template to bolt a v6 Holden motor same as your GM v6 I think Pontiac to a Subaru 5 speed for the blokes out here with that motor in their bay's. I have fitted the rodeo rear bar with tyre carrier had to modify it to move the tyre to the centre. The bar brackets fit between the bus chassis rails just have to notch the brackets to lift the bar 2 inches to bring it closer to the original bar height & more ground clearance. I had the beam plates cut by waterjet for the spread font beams to spread the beams by 31/4 inches to allow the rodeo spindles to fit. run out of room on the front of motor for alternator so mounting it on brackets on the rear of the right hand head & running 3/4 inch aluminium round bar in caged bearings with the rover pulley mounted on the front & a rubber steering column donut between the shaft & alternator for alignment.
rack before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after

chassis

alternator set up

stever70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to clean the lens on your camera. It looks like you're shooting in a fog. Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Steve & jtauxe. thanks for the fog comment you were right about the lens I thought it was because I dropped the phone & shattered the touch screen that maybe impact had rattled the camera side of it. Steve where are you up to on your project. I have obtained 2 power board boxes to use as the engine cover they lock together will post some pics next week our vw national are on this weekend in Sydney 30th anniversary so of to that tomorrow. talk to you soon
ernie
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that back bumper. This will be one cool 4x4. Looking forward to seeing the finished rig.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that rear tire carrier is cool! i have to get something similar soon...Very Happy

...tell me thats a wheel from another car though...Razz

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day 77riviera & Stuart. thanks for dropping in the rear bar is bolt up after drilling chassis rails but I need to lift it up about 3inches just to give exit clearance like I said it's off our Holden rodeo but I think you probably call them Isuzu rodeo or chev google it came of about a 99 model
ernie
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all. have the front beam plates on the beam tubes now to assemble & give the tubes a slight twist of about 1/4inch to give lift instead of fitting adjusters to tubes then fit to bus & spot weld take to tailshaft guys to weld up. Don't think it will bend at 12mm thick.
ernie

ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Stever70. how's the conversion going on yours just had a look at your blog have you had it running any video. I'm slowed down with the shoulder so about 6 months behind so need to start to bolting stuff together little bit at a time
ernie
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie, I don't expect that you need it, but here's some off road inspiration for you. Skip to about 19:05 in this video...

A bit of over the top, but fun regardless.

Link
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all. I have partially assembled beam need to fit the hub & disc then mount it up to the bus with wheels to suit may get away with 16inch rims I'm thinking of making it adjustable but not in the usual method will put up some pics of what I'm looking as a design instead of the 1 in the middle of the tubes. the steering rack will mount brackets bolted to beam plates. looking at using the bus adjustable tie rod's on both sides
ernie `

ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all. spent some time with a hole saw drilled into the front bar & crushbar to fit this bar. I don't know what it came off but another freebie. hope you area all well over there. A mate just had 2 months over there he bought me back a t shirt from Sedona Arizona with a split bus on it good for my collection If anyone on here lives in Sedona let me know what you towns like
ernie

ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: ECLECTIC IS GOING INTERNATIONAAL Reply with quote

Good morning all. I have been invited to do a story in the garage /project pages of ULTRA VW MAGAZINE. So thanks to all that have dropped into my build. onward.
ernie
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bus is going to be sweet! Keep up the good work!
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Ratherb. Thanks for dropping in I have to start fitting the front beam on Monday so will put up some pics I hope my calculations are right it should give me 2 to 3 inches lift. then I have to load up the rear compartment with bags of concrete to get it sitting on suspension to check the level front to rear it currently sits 1/2 way between the travel on the arms because of the loss of the drive train. be back next week with updates take care out there
ernie
77VWBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol wow, that roo bar leaves no doubt your Bus means business Very Happy
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That is really coming together- good work. Like that roo bar and the tight fit Those big Reds always scared the shit out of me when I was there. Rounded a corner once and was in the middle of hundreds of greys running like mad. SO- money well spent.

Only suggestion is search forums for expando foam and "foam of death". Seems that shit gets wet and won't dry out.- I didn't know about it either till after I sprayed it in an adventurewagon hightop mating surface.

Keep up the good work look forward to a video of it running the red mud.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day williamM your right about the xpandafoam a mate used some on his bus it rusted the area in less than 12 months but in ECLECTIC it will be sealed to the outside moisture & it's only going in the engine cover so if it does the heat will soon dry it out. because of shoulder I'm making a jig today to attach to the hole in the floor jack so I can lift the beam out & put the modded 1 in phots of new front end Wednesday
have a good day over there
ernie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: