Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican Beetle roll-back roof
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Mexican Beetle roll-back roof Reply with quote

I have a 1998 Mexican air-cooled Beetle with the aftermarket roll-back roof like another member's in his pic here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/60606.jpg

The rear vinyl window is now cracked in several places and I'd like to have it replaced. As the original window is heat-sealed to the roof fabric, it will be easiest to remove it to bring it to someone who can replace it. Would anyone know how to remove the roll-back portion of the roof?

I got my Beetle years ago from a used car dealer in CT, who imported these. It's the roof that Beetles-UK offered years ago as well.

Thanks,
Ed
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search the forum you can find where VWGirl had one of these roofs and have a roof custom made.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can offer you no advise, but DAMN that is cool. Looks like the Fiats out there now...hope you can get it squared away!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle roll-back roof Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
I have a 1998 Mexican air-cooled Beetle with the aftermarket roll-back roof like another member's in his pic here:

Are you sure yours is aftermarket?
Because that red one is a Mexican open air Beetle

Is its manual or electric open?
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle roll-back roof Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
If you search the forum you can find where VWGirl had one of these roofs and have a roof custom made.

I don't need to have one made, just figure out how to remove the rolling portion to have it repaired.

Joel wrote:
erdonline wrote:

Are you sure yours is aftermarket?
Because that red one is a Mexican open air Beetle

Is its manual or electric open?

Mine is electric open. It seems to be pretty well settled here on the forum that these were not a factory installed option, but were a popular aftermarket accessory likely installed by a place in Mexico City. (I have the threads saved but can't find them right now.)

Ed
CarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Mexican Rollback "Sardine Can" cars... Reply with quote

Hello all. Just got one of these (97 with electric rollback roof) and am trying to gather background on the cars_my rear window is cloudy and some stitching is coming loose...would like to repair but if I can find out if anyone still makes these tops I'd buy a new one. Also looking for a source of info on these cars...especially tech manuals on the engine management system, etc. for my mechanic__thanks for any and all info/help...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied to your PM. Besides what I said there, I would think that any good auto upholstery and top shop would be able to make what you need for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Mexican Rollback roof bugs... Reply with quote

Yes...I have a great shop here in Raleigh that I've already had look it over_he can put in a new window and fix the loose seams but said to try and find a new top if possible or still made...might be cheaper...might not. Thanks again for the info.

Carlton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This german company sells them:

http://www.ck-cabrio.de/verdecke/cabrioverdecke-von-a-z/vw-kaefer-mexico-1996/
They get them from this german company:
http://www.decohaus.de/

I have ordered mine directly at decohaus.de.

There are two versions:
1. The ones that where converted by (or commissioned by) VW Mexico. Recognizable on by the rear window. The window is not square, but the sides are angled inside.
2. In Germany there was a company called Wennsauer that converted normal beetles. They used a kit that looked a lot like the first version, but the rear window was square. This kit has fragile plastic components, so they say.

This info is also in the link to the german website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vochocarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: open air kaffer beetle- 97 Mexi with rollback roof Reply with quote

Update from my earlier posts_I have repaired the loose roof seams, pulled out dents, compounded the original paint, repainted the black trim parts, painted dash trim to match body color, new rear brakes, painted the interior plastic roof trim and installed a new sound system. Currently touching up the bumpers and interior floor pans. Need help from the members: I need nylon 'feet' for the crossbars of my roof. It is binding when trying to open and close the roof. I had been communicating with Peter in Germany (DecoHaus) to purchase the caps (6) when he stopped responding. Does anyone know if this business or 'CK CABRIO' / Germany is still open? Also: does anyone have any idea where I can find these parts? Otherwise I'm going to try and make them myself..already spoken with several plastic molding companies. ANY info anyone has about these roll-back roof bugs would be appreciated.
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this page (sroll down a bit):

http://www.1600i.de/1600i-tipps/open-air/open-air.html

you will find drawings for the caps, with which you can recreate them. They used Teflon.

If you can't read German, here is a google translate version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: