Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a 74 mm Stroke by 88 mm bore with 042 or 044 heads?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting new heads as soon as I figure out what to get. Sounds like 044's are a bit of a mis match and the L3's would perform about like what I have. Like the flow numbers though on those Los Panchito's above here in the thread!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have stock heater boxes you are asking for problems with 40 x 35mm or larger. We regularly see over 120hp with L3s, so I would hardly compare them to stock DP heads.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll bite what kind of problems would he have from running 35mm ex valve with stock heater boxes.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "challenging" to tune, and it will run hotter (overheat).

The whole point of us developing the L3 was to run the biggest head we could with stock heater boxes. If you want more head you really should get a larger exhaust to match.

Mismatched parts is the cause of so much headache in this hobby, it still astounds me how many thirsty horses there are out there.

fastone wrote:
OK I'll bite what kind of problems would he have from running 35mm ex valve with stock heater boxes.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
We regularly see over 120hp with L3s, so I would hardly compare them to stock DP heads.

I would love to see what engine combo got 120hp with your L3s. Have any dyno sheets to this build?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear the L3's can make that much power, I did not know that. Yes I have done a little reading and understand that the Large valves can cause a problem. Larger exhaust valves and ports may not flow well at all against the stock heater pipes, I would imagine there needs to be a certain ratio between the flow velocity in the exhaust valves in the heads and the most restricted part of the exhaust system. Probably something like 1:1 or less. Maybe a lot less because the combustion chamber pressure is so high compared to the pressure in the exhaust system. Head gas velocity:Exhaust system gas velocity.
Not sure what the fellow in the other 71 Bus did to make the 044 Heads work so well with 40X35.5 mm valves and stock heater boxes. (Found out his 044 heads were from CB Performance and required .020" Flycut along with some chamber work to achieve the 8.5:1CR)
59sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set of L3's from DRD about 6 months ago for a 76x88 I'm building for a camper with tq and MPG in mind to road trip.

Heads have 12mm plugs and no step. John, are these ok and what castings do you think they are?

I was told they were 59cc clambers and they are more like 61cc. Then I checked the valve seats with diesel and more than half leaked.

So since I need to flycut anyway to get to my 8.25 cr with .040-.050 deck I went to a reputable HP head shop and he said to back cut the valves/ check valve job and match port the intakes. Question is would it be worth doing any additional porting since I'm there?

Combo is 76x88, 5.325 short rods, slr XV 272 cam on 106 lobe center, specs @.050 233, 10.5 IO / 42.5 IC no built in advance .430 w/ 1.1-1, 36mm dells, SVDA, an extractor with dual quiet packs. 8.25 cr is what I'm thinking but open to opinions
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

59sc wrote:
I bought a set of L3's from DRD about 6 months ago for a 76x88 I'm building for a camper with tq and MPG in mind to road trip.

Heads have 12mm plugs and no step. John, are these ok and what castings do you think they are?

I was told they were 59cc clambers and they are more like 61cc. Then I checked the valve seats with diesel and more than half leaked.

So since I need to flycut anyway to get to my 8.25 cr with .040-.050 deck I went to a reputable HP head shop and he said to back cut the valves/ check valve job and match port the intakes. Question is would it be worth doing any additional porting since I'm there?

Combo is 76x88, 5.325 short rods, slr XV 272 cam on 106 lobe center, specs @.050 233, 10.5 IO / 42.5 IC no built in advance .430 w/ 1.1-1, 36mm dells, SVDA, an extractor with dual quiet packs. 8.25 cr is what I'm thinking but open to opinions

I went back and forth on what heads to buy.
The reviews from DRD absolutely sucked, so I was really thinking about going a different way.
As it turned out L3 from Aircooled.net were going though a change of sorts,
So I took a leap of faith that L3 from Aircooled.net new supplier would be better,
and if they sucked, at least John would stand behind his product.
I've got the heads, but I haven't CCed them, or checked if they leak.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being lead to water I am still looking over the fence for greener pastures. But if the L3's can make 120 HP that is 16% more power than say 100 HP with a stock head. The thing is, these smaller 1600-1800cc engines may not be able to produce 100 HP with stock heads or 120 HP with L3's at least not at a reasonable engine RPM but the 1849cc may be getting closer! 59sc how are you correcting deck height for the extra 1 mm that the 76mm crank is going to add?

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup just finished a 1585cc engine, ported stock DP heads, Web 163 clone (1.25 rockers on intake, 1.1s on exhaust), dual 2bbls (32mm venturis), 1 3/8" header, 110hp and a very wide torque band (I'd call it a curve, but it's quite flat).

The Type 1 head doesn't need much lift on the exhaust, which is why the higher lift on the intake. You don't HAVE to use a split duration cam, you can use different ratio rockers to achieve a similar effect.

Additional displacement is only going to make more power and a flatter torque band.

Also, L3s outflow stock heads by 30%.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeptic wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
We regularly see over 120hp with L3s, so I would hardly compare them to stock DP heads.

I would love to see what engine combo got 120hp with your L3s. Have any dyno sheets to this build?

Ive seen 2332s make 120 with stock heads so without giving any build data doesnt help much.

Do you have any specs on your L3 120hp build?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
All numbers on the chart are converted to 25"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Saw your chart and the thread below! Thought it looked like useful information.

VW Cylinder Head Quick Reference Sheet
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altewagen, do you EVER have anything to say about us other than scathing criticism? Who's payroll are you on anyways? I come here to help and the only thing you ever say about us is to give us shit about SOMETHING.

I'll see you guys in January. Bye.

59sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw.....

With the shorter rod I get about .020 neg deck (piston out of cyl) so I'm going with a .020 shim under cyl and then a .050 copper under head as of now, I used them before in a 1904
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to come off as criticism, I just want to know. Statements are made and I ask for information to make sense of it.

Ive never said you didnt build that 120hp engine with your L3s, I just would like to know HOW you did it. Alstrup put up a dyno sheet to demonstrate what was possible with stock valve head and when asked he gladly put the specs.

This industry is full of smoke and mirrors where vendors sell the same parts as everyone else and claim it to be their own. I get it, its called marketing.

I dont expect you to give up super technical data but I dont think information like manufacturer of the parts should be top secret.

You have a huge loyal customer base who worships your every word, if you were to reveal the origin of your parts even if they could be purchased directly from the source Im sure they would still support your shop.

Enjoy your holiday and may your new year bring you even more success.

Just for the record I am retired and no longer work in the VW industry due to the lies, posturing and greed that is rampant these days. I would rather continue to love working on these little cars than see them strictly as dollar signs.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the newest version of the list

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Sorry to come off as criticism, I just want to know. Statements are made and I ask for information to make sense of it.

Ive never said you didnt build that 120hp engine with your L3s, I just would like to know HOW you did it. Alstrup put up a dyno sheet to demonstrate what was possible with stock valve head and when asked he gladly put the specs.

This industry is full of smoke and mirrors where vendors sell the same parts as everyone else and claim it to be their own. I get it, its called marketing.

I dont expect you to give up super technical data but I dont think information like manufacturer of the parts should be top secret.

You have a huge loyal customer base who worships your every word, if you were to reveal the origin of your parts even if they could be purchased directly from the source Im sure they would still support your shop.

Enjoy your holiday and may your new year bring you even more success.

Just for the record I am retired and no longer work in the VW industry due to the lies, posturing and greed that is rampant these days. I would rather continue to love working on these little cars than see them strictly as dollar signs.

That is why the Mofoco Motto is "IN HOUSE". My father never actually wanted to buy as many machines as we have and never wanted to do every step of the building/rebuilding process. The problem was that there was no consistant supply of quality parts. We have a two crank grinders, a cam grinder, a lifter grinder, a Sunnen hone for connecting rods, a boring machine just for the pin ends of connecting rods, a valve grinder, 4 bridgeport mills, 4 KT-180 machining centers, a vacuum tester for ports, a flywheel grinder, a Puma 200 turning center to make hyd lifters and lighten flywheels, a cylinder head mold, a water jet cutter, an American Pacemaker lathe, a VGS-20 for cutting seats and doing valve jobs, a Kwik way head surfacer, a kwik way machining center and an older Sunnen valve grinding station that I use to hone the inside of valve guides after they are installed.

I can and do run every machine listed above. I think I can say that we are the only shop in the country with this array of machines dedicated to aircooled VW's. There are only two things left that I want for Christmas. One, my own Superflo bench and two, to finish building my dyno room for my Stuska Dyno.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, which performance dual port heads for dual carbs would you like to see on a 1585-1904cc Type 1 Engine (W110 cam) for a daily driver Bus using stock 1.25" id heater boxes? I noticed the MOFOCO Shop makes some heads special order. Can small 32mm exhaust valves be used on a better flowing head than the L3 (122 cfm)? Which head? Would that be a solution to overcoming the restriction of the stock heater boxes?
Hope you get what you want for Christmas!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Roy, which performance dual port heads for dual carbs would you like to see on a 1585-1904cc Type 1 Engine (W110 cam) for a daily driver Bus using stock 1.25" id heater boxes? I noticed the MOFOCO Shop makes some heads special order. Can small 32mm exhaust valves be used on a better flowing head than the L3 (122 cfm)? Which head? Would that be a solution to overcoming the restriction of the stock heater boxes?
Hope you get what you want for Christmas!

Hi Dan. Well, I don't want to compare our heads to the L3's because I have personally never used the L3's. I also find the recent trend of some vendors bashing other vendors products to get sales a little childish.

Here is what I can tell you about our Super Street Mofoco 040's. The 040 casting that we have Made in the USA has just been approved by Score International for use in all their races(like the Baja 500 and Baja 1000). This casting was also used by another race group two months ago and set a track record on the first time out. I also built a stock 1776 engine this summer and the only performance work I did was to run our Super Street Heads.(with a step) That beetle felt like it had a 1914 with dual carbs on it; but all it had was a 34 pict 3 carb. I had everyone in the shop drive a 100% stock beetle we had and then this one. It was night and day, the heads made a huge difference!! I have not flowed this head yet so I can't give you concrete numbers. The ports in these heads will support running stock heater boxes without tuning issues.

http://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_Super_Street_040_s_Pair_/2603/c52

If you have any other specific questions, please feel free to e-mail me direct [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy pull your head out of the clouds. Your not the only game in town. Gene Berg, Bernie Bergmann, SCAT, and even GEX has as much or more machinery then you do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 36

Jump to: