Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suitable core for future 1776
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Suitable core for future 1776 Reply with quote

Planning to have a shop build a 1776 for my bug, but need a usable core. Will a basic 1600DP do? Do I look for a dual-relief case? Special heads/case?

Also, have gotten yes/no answers regarding a counter-weighted crankshaft.

Been a while since I built a stock 40hp 30+ years ago, which still has great compression and valves need no adjusting (what a relief)...

But need advice from you guys.

Best regards,

Catahoula Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dual relief cased 1600. If you're using stock heads get a DP motor if not don't worry too much, you can buy the stud kit for heads. Make sure the case isn't warped and the end play isn't too excessive.

Even a stock or mild performance motor can benefit from a C/W crank. Smoother running easyier on case. Get everything balanced for best results

brad
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad:

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines.

I assume that I'll want to torque down the 6 main case nuts and check for daylight between the main bearing mounts. Any additional things I may want to do to check case warping?

Best regards,

Catahoula Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about it to check for warping. Give it a good once over check the lifter bores and make sure they're not worn, put in a new lifter and see if you can wiggle it. Heat behind #3 with a propane torch and see if any cracks appear.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: