Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My fanbelt is doing acrobatics!?!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
autotrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: My fanbelt is doing acrobatics!?! Reply with quote

O.K. ...in the past three or so days my fanbelt has just started "flipping over on both the generator pulley and the crank pulley also.I would put it back on...the correct way, go for a spin and come back...its flipped again.whats up? do I have little knomes back there playin' dirty tricks on me??? Shocked or could it be too tight or loose?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doppelganger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you recently installed an alternator in place of a generator? Is your gen/alt clamp tight. How long has that belt been on?
I have really good luck with a power steering belt from a '82(?) Camaro, it is 2mm shorter and a lot stiffer than what prescribed for bugs. I can get you the make/part# if you are interested.
autotrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure...I'll give it a try. whats the brand and part#?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdolor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have any oil leaking from the crank seal do you. On one of my previous bugs this seal was leaking and the belt would flip and come off regularly. "Strange I know" but fixing the leak fixed the problem.
Also if you have an after-market pulley on the crank and it's not all the way on (pulleys not aligned) the belt will flip also.
Hope this helps,
Chuck
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a belt flips... replace it.

I use Gates belts since that have extra cords on the outter surface to prevent flipping.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sound like an alignment issue. I usually take a long and thin wood dowel or something similar, lay it in the crank pulley groove and the gen/alt pulley groove to see if they are both running true. If not sometimes you can get away with loosening the gen/alt strap and get a little adjustment there. I ended up needing more adjustment with a Berg pulley so I had to use the supplied copper-esque washer that shims the fan pulley out for alignment. No more flippy.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glandnut, I like that dowel tip. Great idea. Belt flipping is typically a misalignment, due to the fact that one side of the belt is doing the work and heating up, while the other side is free to fold over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James Buchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the gates belt brought up by Glenn - have yet to have one flip on me and they see 7000+ rpm
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the pulleys aligned you need to loosen the alternator strap and the 2 bolts on the lower side of teh shroud. Then just push or pull until it's aligned and tighten everything up.

Gene Berg sells a shim that fits behind the alternator pulley to space it out if it's too close to the fan.

I also run a slightly shorter belt so it sits deeper into the pulley. That helps keep it from getting thrown and also spins the fan slightly faster.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
cdolor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the dowel idea, simple and accurate. I have heard that gates belts are superior and the continential belts are known to flip and come off. These are the ones that have bit me in the past.
Chuck
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when the dowel ends up becoming a fire poker or a tomato plant spike, I have to end up using the factory jack handle. I like it because the curved end lays in the curve of the upper pulley groove and the straight end goes down to the crank pulley groove without having to hold them.
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
To get the pulleys aligned you need to loosen the alternator strap and the 2 bolts on the lower side of teh shroud. Then just push or pull until it's aligned and tighten everything up.

Gene Berg sells a shim that fits behind the alternator pulley to space it out if it's too close to the fan.

I also run a slightly shorter belt so it sits deeper into the pulley. That helps keep it from getting thrown and also spins the fan slightly faster.

I know its old thread but, just want to ask what size is the belt your running glen? I have 10x900 and my belt still flipping. I use all ten spacer to the outer side of the pulley to get more tenssion.
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once belt flips its a dead animal, it will flip again, and again, and again, jut replace it...

Also if you run a power pulley and can not move alternator enough, there is a spacer you can get to put behind pulley on crank to move it out a bit.... Also belt width may be issue 9mm belt width seems to be better than a 10mm.....

This is old thread on this issue...See NEW thread....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553313

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using all the spacers on the outside may not let the pully seat squarly on the other pully, you dont realy want to do that. get the shorter belt if thats what is needed and add some shims, make sure it's aligined.there are shims for the alt&the crank pully. also with all the shims out the belt may be grabing one of the pully knotches depending on what pully you have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: