Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
p.e.i.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the best place to buy new seat guides?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111881213

Many suppliers sell them.
VADave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!
frydaddy96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got some new seat foam from WW, the wires were NOT running(fore-aft) in the channels like the old foam was. They were running side to side. We cut the foam layed the wire in like the old and glued the foam together, but did not attach them to the seat cover. We were afraid the foam would tear due to the pressure needed to get the two wires close enough to get the hog ring in there and closed.

Another note on our '79 vert, the center rail guide is a different style/design than the one shown here. I think I have some pictures of it. I'll try to post them.
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but just wanted to let everyone know it was quite helpful Very Happy
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

Instead of starting a new thread I thought to leave this info in one place. What you see below is what a PO had done to stop that unwanted front seat travel back, when you don't have the retainer springs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

Thanks. Had a frustrating day with wiring. But took a break and did this on my 74 SB and felt like I made some progress!
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

I'm grateful to find this great article. One of my winter projects is to install new padding and Track Slides in our 74 Super Cabriolet. Car was stored for 36 years in a Heated Garage and the "Horse Hair" just disintegrated. I was in for a surprise the first time I vacuumed under the seats! I have learned so many things that seemed a big mystery from reading this Post! Thanks.
jdnizzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

Great walkthrough - I was looking for something else but this answered questions I hadn't started to figure out yet.
Thanks!!!
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
There seems to be a lot of anguish over installing 1974 and newer seat guides.

If your seat is loose and rocking..... Most likely the guides are worn or missing.

It is also likely the tracks welded into the chassis are bent as well and it would do you good to look at them and make any needed repairs so they are straight.

Also take a wire brush and scraper and clean the tracks of old grease and dirt. Even go so far as to sand them until they shine! Not the outside, the inside of the U.
These are dirty and need cleaning......

Note that The reproduction bits you can purchase today are not shaped poorly or inferior to the original design.
Here are various views of Genuine VW guides and after market guides........
KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE MADE OF A HARD PLASTIC AND THEY WILL BREAK IF TREATED ROUGHLY..........

Notice the "teeth" on the new Pedestal guide but they are missing from the old Black original VW one, these teeth break easily but are needed for proper installation...... They clip over the Pedestal bracket and hold the guide in place.

Here is a view of the Passenger (right) seat pedestal......... Top looking towards the rear........

Looking from the door........

Here is the new Pedestal guide starting to be installed, you need to move the seat adjustment lever to pull to locking pin back so it can be inserted. The pin will end up passing through the round hole in the Guide.......

The bottom "tail" of the guide goes into the slot below the pin hole and sticks out..... Push down firmly until the guides "teeth" click over the mounting bracket........ Release the seat adjust lever and allow the pin to protrude through the new guide.......

THERE! That was easy! Now on to the rear seat guides, this is the fun part!

--------------------------------

Here are the tools I used to fix the lower seat guides.
Knipex Adjustable Plier Wrench,
a Square to use as a straight edge,
a File to even up the repaired guides,
a Screw Driver to bent the tabs back into alignment and
a Hammer..... a small Ball Peen to gently encourage the metal to go where I want it to go!

I realize not all may have a pair of the Knipex Plier Wrench but it would be worth the investment! This has become one of my "Go To" tools! They grip metal firmly as well as having parrarel jaws and without damage allow me to bend and manipulate metal into shape...........

Here is the front single track, it's in great shape and no repairs are needed......

Here are the rear guides, inner and outer......

He is a close up of the inner rear seat guide...... Notice how straight the metal is....... This is a GOOD thing!.......

Here is a close up of the outer guide...... NOT so pretty.........(sorry it's out of focus) .... you can see the curve the guide has from years of abuse. A new plastic guide will NOT clip onto this curved metal and stay on. It will keep falling off and will drive you absolutely nuts while you fight trying to install the seat!..........

I used my tools to reshape the guide until it was flat, or as flat as I could get it. I then used the file on the flat surface to smooth it out and remove any burrs or imperfections that would hinder the guide bushing from effectively snapping on.

See how much straighter the guide is after re shaping? ........

Here are the results of using the file on the straightened guide...... The shiny spots were high imperfections removed by the file, perfection isn't required, just close to perfect is fine............

The guide is just starting to slide on, I install them so the slit it toward the top when installed...... It works for me..... Maybe they go down? I've never seen documentation on how they go..... Shocked .........

Here is an edge view showing the retaining Tab that snaps into the squarish hole stamped in the metal seat guide.......

I use a very small screw driver to encourage the tab to depress and slide over the steel. I tap the edge of the guide very gently with a plastic hammer to slide it on.......

Here is the Plastic Guide fully installed on the repaired metal seat guide. See the Tab is firmly snapped into the squarish hole provided for it........

Both guides firmly attached to the seat. Now make sure the tracks are ready for the seat and install it!......

I use a smear of white grease in the tracks. Not a lot for it will come off onto any clothing left on the rear floor, just enough to help it slide.......

Dave

It's the end of 2019 I got a set from J Bugs . Let me tell you they are not as well made as the ones you posted. All sorts of casting flash to trim off and they are not shaped well. I hope they work since they are the same on my 73 type 3 .
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
There seems to be a lot of anguish over installing 1974 and newer seat guides.

If your seat is loose and rocking..... Most likely the guides are worn or missing.

It is also likely the tracks welded into the chassis are bent as well and it would do you good to look at them and make any needed repairs so they are straight.

Also take a wire brush and scraper and clean the tracks of old grease and dirt. Even go so far as to sand them until they shine! Not the outside, the inside of the U.
These are dirty and need cleaning......

Note that The reproduction bits you can purchase today are not shaped poorly or inferior to the original design.
Here are various views of Genuine VW guides and after market guides........
KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE MADE OF A HARD PLASTIC AND THEY WILL BREAK IF TREATED ROUGHLY..........

Notice the "teeth" on the new Pedestal guide but they are missing from the old Black original VW one, these teeth break easily but are needed for proper installation...... They clip over the Pedestal bracket and hold the guide in place.

Here is a view of the Passenger (right) seat pedestal......... Top looking towards the rear........

Looking from the door........

Here is the new Pedestal guide starting to be installed, you need to move the seat adjustment lever to pull to locking pin back so it can be inserted. The pin will end up passing through the round hole in the Guide.......

The bottom "tail" of the guide goes into the slot below the pin hole and sticks out..... Push down firmly until the guides "teeth" click over the mounting bracket........ Release the seat adjust lever and allow the pin to protrude through the new guide.......

THERE! That was easy! Now on to the rear seat guides, this is the fun part!

--------------------------------

Here are the tools I used to fix the lower seat guides.
Knipex Adjustable Plier Wrench,
a Square to use as a straight edge,
a File to even up the repaired guides,
a Screw Driver to bent the tabs back into alignment and
a Hammer..... a small Ball Peen to gently encourage the metal to go where I want it to go!

I realize not all may have a pair of the Knipex Plier Wrench but it would be worth the investment! This has become one of my "Go To" tools! They grip metal firmly as well as having parrarel jaws and without damage allow me to bend and manipulate metal into shape...........

Here is the front single track, it's in great shape and no repairs are needed......

Here are the rear guides, inner and outer......

He is a close up of the inner rear seat guide...... Notice how straight the metal is....... This is a GOOD thing!.......

Here is a close up of the outer guide...... NOT so pretty.........(sorry it's out of focus) .... you can see the curve the guide has from years of abuse. A new plastic guide will NOT clip onto this curved metal and stay on. It will keep falling off and will drive you absolutely nuts while you fight trying to install the seat!..........

I used my tools to reshape the guide until it was flat, or as flat as I could get it. I then used the file on the flat surface to smooth it out and remove any burrs or imperfections that would hinder the guide bushing from effectively snapping on.

See how much straighter the guide is after re shaping? ........

Here are the results of using the file on the straightened guide...... The shiny spots were high imperfections removed by the file, perfection isn't required, just close to perfect is fine............

The guide is just starting to slide on, I install them so the slit it toward the top when installed...... It works for me..... Maybe they go down? I've never seen documentation on how they go..... Shocked .........

Here is an edge view showing the retaining Tab that snaps into the squarish hole stamped in the metal seat guide.......

I use a very small screw driver to encourage the tab to depress and slide over the steel. I tap the edge of the guide very gently with a plastic hammer to slide it on.......

Here is the Plastic Guide fully installed on the repaired metal seat guide. See the Tab is firmly snapped into the squarish hole provided for it........

Both guides firmly attached to the seat. Now make sure the tracks are ready for the seat and install it!......

I use a smear of white grease in the tracks. Not a lot for it will come off onto any clothing left on the rear floor, just enough to help it slide.......

Dave
My 74 Super Beetle has these along with the ones you have shown. They fit inside of the seat guides at the very back of the guide. Part # 311 881 349 for the inner rail and 311 881 347 for the outer rail

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

Shakers, where did you get those rear—end—pieces?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Shakers, where did you get those rear—end—pieces?

Tim

There was one pair in the car when I bought it. I finally found a used pair for the other side @ https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=seat+track

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
So that's why my seats will just keep going back until they fall off the track.

I'm missing that piece, apparently.

Tim

This is what stops the seat from sliding out the back of the seat rail guides. You have to press it down with a flat screwdriver to let the seat slide out the back of the guides.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=333288

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

Shakers, I found the flat seat retainer springs in a coffee can that the PO had given me, and installed them. So, the seats no longer slide off the tracks.

The end caps seem more likely to keep people that are getting in the back seat, from catching their shoes (or bare feet) on the rear edges of the track.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sjbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

Hello!!

I would love to hijack this thread since I have searched the entire world on google. I know someone in here has done this repair before.

It's called the Seat release pull cable on the back rest. (1975 error seat) My passenger seat will not fold forward when you pull up on the back rest release. So I took my seat out and then separated the top from the base. If you look in the side channels towards the bottom, you can see the release cable attached to a camber. So pulling on the release latch I notice one side is working better than the inner side.

How in the world does this mechanism work, and how do you adjust these cables to rotate the chamber properly? Feel free to email me, call me.. lol I am lost for instructions since I have not found any online. My manual will be here today hopefully for the car, but not sure if they cover this problem.

I am also open to purchasing someones 75 passenger seat if that's less of a hassle than repairing this.
sjbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

sjbrice wrote:
Hello!!

I would love to hijack this thread since I have searched the entire world on google. I know someone in here has done this repair before.

It's called the Seat release pull cable on the back rest. (1975 error seat) My passenger seat will not fold forward when you pull up on the back rest release. So I took my seat out and then separated the top from the base. If you look in the side channels towards the bottom, you can see the release cable attached to a camber. So pulling on the release latch I notice one side is working better than the inner side.

How in the world does this mechanism work, and how do you adjust these cables to rotate the chamber properly? Feel free to email me, call me.. lol I am lost for instructions since I have not found any online. My manual will be here today hopefully for the car, but not sure if they cover this problem.

I am also open to purchasing someones 75 passenger seat if that's less of a hassle than repairing this.

Have it all fixed! Pulled the cover and removed the slack in the long cable!!
sjbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

I am in the process of restoring my 75 beetle. I just completed this task on my seat rails. I sanded them down and cleaned everything up. I ordered a set of seat sliders from jbugs and tried installing the seats today. Here is the problem I am having with the replacement sliders. They fit on the inner rails close to the hump totally fine. However both outer rails by the door appear to be slightly shorter in height so the slider does not fit. I noticed on my 75 bug that the OEM ones are a much thinner material and the clip was a two piece style verse this replacement as one piece.

Does anyone know if there was a change on the 75+ seat rails? I thought about sanding down the outer sliders clips but I would need to take out about 2mm in the height.

Below are the OEM two piece sliders that were in my 75 beetle. Much thinner than the ones sold now as the replacemen and not as tall when installed.

Pollock74Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

The seat guides you posted are stock and fit a little better than the replacements. I had to sand the rectangle replacements down a little to fit in my 74 super.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and newer Seat Guides, How to Install Reply with quote

Reference all of the above topic discussion: I am using it to reupholster and reinstall the seats in my 73 Standard Bug and find all of it VERY helpful, especially the images! Thanks to all for helping make this otherwise perplexing procedure so much more 'understandable'! Applause

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: