Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ob_wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS Reply with quote

I'm going out on a limb to say this is for all type 3s with an IRS rear suspension but not sure(feel free to correct me). I did the work on my '69 Fastback. background on why I replaced them is in the following post(note: other than actually seeing the score marks on the underside of the rubber, I never would have guessed the original motor mounts were bad):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553557

Parts list:
1. Energy Suspension part #: 9.4102G (comes with 2 complete bushings)
2. 1/2" diameter all-thread - make sure it's high grade thread, 6" on each side = 12"
3. qty 4 - grade 5 or grade 8 nuts
4. qty 2 - grade 5 or grade 8 lock washers
5. 1/4" plate steel, enough to make 2 mounts
6. re-use part of existing motor mount: "fingers"

I've used the following bushings before in another application and they seemed like they would be a perfect fit: Energy Suspension part # 9.4102G (they also have them in red if you prefer: 9.4102R or stiffer if you want 9.4101G or R)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: I did one side at a time to make sure I returned engine to matching height for each new mount(can adjust from there if you feel the engine was sagging from old mounts)

I took off the original motor mount and started measuring, then pulled out my compass and started making circles till I came up with the following template to match the new poly bushings inside diameter(1.25") with the outside diameters and bolt hole locations of the old mount:

I don't have a picture of just the custom made mounting plate but you can see it below. It took a lot of cutting/grinding/drilling/filing but it turned out just fine. very sturdy, I used 1/4" because that's what the bushings called for, keeps a nice compression on the bushings when everything is tightened down.

I went to the store looking for 1/2" dia threaded rod. Most all-thread is low grade(grade 2 or lower?) = soft. and grade 5 or 8 bolts around here don't have 6" of thread on them. Luckily I was able to find some heat treated all-thread, pretty heavy grade stuff at a local hardware store.
1. cut all-thread to 6" pieces
2. cut existing body mount below the rubber so you end up with about 1/2" of tube and the "fingers"(part that mounts to the engine cross-brace. note I cut it flush to the rubber aka 3/4+" of tube left, take a little more off to allow for more adjustability)
3. tap 1/2" threads in to the 1/2" tube(not necessary, only half of the thread is cut in to the tube, alternatively you could just grind a little thread off the all-thread so it will slide in, I did it to ensure alignment mainly)
4. screw/slide the all-thread in to the "fingers" tube till you can just see it peaking out the bottom of the tube(screw/slide in 3/4" or so) and weld it in place. I would not feel comfortable with anything short of welding the two together. I feel very comfortable tapping + welding.
5. screw one of the nuts down on to the all-thread almost all the way
walla! that's the hard part(mine's painted black but you can see where I welded the all-thread to the "fingers" tube):

All the parts ready to go together:

The way I assembled them, I wanted the majority of the bushing to be on top to provide cushion for the engine while it sits and coincidentally, I don't know if it would fit the other way around.

When I installed the new motor mount, I kept the bolts on the body loose to allow the mount to shift as needed, I used the adjustable nature of the new mount to first allow me to attach the fingers to the cross-brace(keep bolts loose), then screwed down the top nut on the all-thread until I had the engine at the height I wanted. When that was set, I tightened the bottom nut completely, tightened the "fingers" bolts, then finished off with the bolts that hold the engine mount to the body. very easy install.

Last edited by ob_wan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very slick indeed, I am impressed.

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive, does the car feel any different? more vibration? they are probably better than 40 year old rubber that's for sure!
ob_wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
impressive, does the car feel any different? more vibration? they are probably better than 40 year old rubber that's for sure!

The car actually feels more responsive. doesn't have the hesitation like it did before when stepping on the gas pedal(initial tilt of the engine).

vibration is there but minimal. But I had vibration before. might actually be a little less vibration. I'd guess if you had a poorly running engine, you'd feel more vibration. I have mine tuned fairly well right now.

I just took it out for another run. highway speed, stop and start, heavy throttle acceleration. I'm a happy camper.

But a note on height adjustment. I cut the old fingers flush to the rubber, I'd recommend cutting them so there's only about 1/2" of tube to allow for more adjustment.
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

I was going about this the same way with 911 mounts. But, when I was cutting the threads on the top portion it just wasn't turning out very nice. Probably the crappy VA die I was using. I saved the parts, maybe I'll try again using threaded rod like you did.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS Reply with quote

ob_wan wrote:

About the only things I'd do differently would be to add some weld to the bottom of the rod to fingers bracket, and add a nylock nut to the top of the alltheread (wound down some). I'd do those 2 things, incase the weld broke loose on the top of the threads, and the added nut would be to keep the engine from falling on the ground IF the top nut ever came loose (that's sandwiching the bushings). Keep in mind that most of the pressure is downward (the weight of the engine). Otherwise, I think that's a great solution, and the bushings can be replaced again IF needed. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ob_wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust my welds but I know what you mean. It would definitely be a good added safety to toss some welds at the end of the allthread as well.

as for the nylock nut. good idea. Either I'll add a 2nd nut to the allthread to lock against the first or will buy some nylock nuts. lock washers are nice but constant vibration could work something loose, not worth the risk.
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ob_wan, I went 80% down the same road you did when I rebuilt my engine a couple years ago. I had everything I needed except for the polyurethane vibration isolators. I have an acoustics background so we deal with these day-in and day-out, but no one could give me a straight answer on whether it could sustain variable vibration Hz AND asymmetric vibration (which is pretty demanding for vibration isolation assemblies).

I ended up re-using my old original ones and they seem to be doing fine, but please let us know how these hold up long-term.

In case anyone is looking for an NOS VW engine hanger, I know fastback Don has one for sale as we speak.
ob_wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
Ob_wan, I went 80% down the same road you did when I rebuilt my engine a couple years ago. I had everything I needed except for the polyurethane vibration isolators. I have an acoustics background so we deal with these day-in and day-out, but no one could give me a straight answer on whether it could sustain variable vibration Hz AND asymmetric vibration (which is pretty demanding for vibration isolation assemblies).

I ended up re-using my old original ones and they seem to be doing fine, but please let us know how these hold up long-term.

In case anyone is looking for an NOS VW engine hanger, I know fastback Don has one for sale as we speak.

Will Do! I've used polyurethane engine mounts in the past. On vehicles with heavier vibrations, more weight, etc. They seemed to hold up well but I only had the vehicles for a couple years. A good alternative (if the bolts line up correctly) is probably the 911 engine mounts and build a similar setup to what I made with the poly mounts.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ob_wan wrote:
I trust my welds but I know what you mean. It would definitely be a good added safety to toss some welds at the end of the allthread as well.

as for the nylock nut. good idea. Either I'll add a 2nd nut to the allthread to lock against the first or will buy some nylock nuts. lock washers are nice but constant vibration could work something loose, not worth the risk.

I only mentioned adding the weld to the bottom, as at 1 point you say you could grind down a little of the threads to insert it into the finger section, rather than tap it. This being an alternative to what you did. You know someone will try to do it easier. Rolling Eyes

I suggested the nylock nut, as vibration will try to back off the regular nut, even though you used a lock washer. The poly bushing will try to move some, and that can cause it to loosen up too.

It's just a safety thing, as to why I suggested it. The last thing you want, is to be miles away from a hardware store, and loose the nut holding the engine in place. Most of us only open the engine lid, IF we have a problem, or are doing a tune up. That means that bolt assembly won't get checked very often, and probably only when you would hear some extra noise from the engine area (which might be too late Shocked ).
I do like the solution though. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooohooo!!!
I was planing on making some new mounts, now I have a how-to. Thanks!!!
Miyoji
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS Reply with quote

I used the method for building the Type 3 motor mounts described in this thread, but I did it slightly differently.

I took the idea to my mechanic and, for him, the hard part was creating a new mounting plate. So, we discussed ways to use the original plate and here is what we came up with. I hope this helps someone.

We used the bushing kit described above and modified the flange to work with it. We cut the bottom side of the flange flush:

Then I found a sturdy washer which fit into the top side of the flange. The hole in the washer was a little too small for the "nose" of the bushings, so my mechanic made the hole bigger. He then welded it into the flange:

Everything else, I did the same as the previous post.

My mechanic says if anyone else wants these and does not have the means to build it, he can build them for $400/pair.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS Reply with quote

Interesting, i hadn't even thought about building my own set of these. I'll have to give these a try once the type 3 body work is done.
Arizonasquareback69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS Reply with quote

My question is, how much “squish” or compression should one put on the new mounts? Is engine weight good enough or should you tighten the top nut down a bit? I’m thinking of doing this soon.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS Reply with quote

Have you guys looked at using 911 motor mounts

You can buy them in varying degrees of density

https://www.partsgeek.com/yq1c7ls-porsche-911-engi..._fEALw_wcB
cpaz5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS Reply with quote

Not to derail the thread or invalidate the latest questions, but just in case you all are not yet aware, ISP sells brand new mounts now:

https://vwispwest.com/type-3-irs-engine-mount-kit-311199301by/

I was going down the path of custom mounts years ago but thankfully these came out a couple years ago and have been perfectly good units from my experience thus far. Not that custom mounts may not be necessary again in the future, or be needed for other specific demands, but being able to open a package and simply install brand new items as intended is sometimes rewarding in itself. Good luck regardless of your pursuit!
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: custom motor mounts for type 3s with IRS Reply with quote

cpaz5150 wrote:
...but being able to open a package and simply install brand new items as intended is sometimes rewarding in itself.

I really enjoy reading posts like this. The IRS mounts we made are super nice! I can't tell you how many crusty used mounts I cleaned in the parts washer to send out to customers over the years. Lots of digging for the best pairs we could come up with.

Not trying to further hijack this thread but we have some exciting parts in the works for 2023!

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: