Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebel wiring harness questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DPST switches for my turn signals. I put the 2 prong relay inline before the toggle switch. I've been looking at using someone's harness for my next buggy, Rebel is definitely under consideration.

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a DPST toggle (or relay) to connect both left and right side wires together by connecting wires to one side of switch and other side to power from flasher....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its that simple... But IT will also depend on how many bulbs you run in rear and how brake lights are wired into circuit...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
maggiolino basso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a little difficulty, can anyone tell me where the Orange wire in the Blue zip tie (Dash) wiring bundle plugs into? It's labeled IGN SW IGN. Does it hook up to the ignition switch as well? If so which terminal? I have a universal GM switch with accessory position. I have 4 poles on it as follows:
Coil
Ignition
Battery
Accessories
The ignition switch already has all four wires hooked up to it from the Red zip tie wire bundle (Dash 2).

If not where does this get hooked up to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MOON BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggiolino basso
Hook it up to the Accessories pole on your GM switch.

Last edited by MOON BUGGY on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MOON BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggiolino bass
I looked at my wiring on GM switch.
Orange is hooked up to the Accessories pole.
maggiolino basso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything wired per instructions. I used OG headlight and wiper switch. Anytime I apply power the 20 AMP wiper fuse fails. I disconnected the wiper switch and apply power and the same thing happens. Additionally I have no juice to tail lights. I am considering purchasing a universal GM type headlight and wiper switch to see if it's an OG switch-Rebel fuse box compatibility issue?

I haven't called Rebel wire customer support due to my busy work schedule which hasn't allowed me to call them during normal business hours.

Any advice would really be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I got the rebel deluxe vw kit but was given the paperwork for the universal kit.was wondering if anybody had a digital copy of the paperwork,or could tell me the difference,wiring- wise?
Also maybe the fuse break-down...i have nothing with my kit.
Thanks
Laxkraap
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Jeremy1984

I am sure he can help.
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
PM Jeremy1984

I am sure he can help.

Thanks, pm sent and got quick reply.great guy

Laxkraap
Madmanx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Signal switch and hazard switch for the rebel wire 8 circuit Reply with quote

I'm using a 1967 signal switch and the hazard switch in the instructions, I don't seem to have enough wires or I'm not getting what I need to do. Do I need to run wires off the hazard switch for the signal switch? Any help would be great.
jkline58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: rebel wire Reply with quote

I have some rebel wire questions. I have been wiring my clone with the deluxe rebel wire kit.. I have the engine wired brake lights and blinkers,(using universal signal stat turn signal switch. MY light switch is a old style vw round but does not have a number 57 blade on the switch its the park light wire that has no place to go. There is one blade left at the 30 position. im only part way but when i energize the system at this point. all i get is all lights that are hooked up flashing if i turn on blinkers left or right all light flash should i drop back and check everything or continue forward until all is complete? Ps cant see for beans two pair of glasses and a magnifying glass does the trick! Any pooh you could throw my way would be appreciated Thanks JIM
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question to those who have now installed the Rebel kit:

Did you use VW dash controls (blinker, headlight, wiper switches), GM or aftermarket? Or a mixture?

As yet I've been to busy and sidetracked to finish my buggy but it looks like I'l start making major headway after July. I was wondering if I should look for new switches or if VW ones will do.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
A question to those who have now installed the Rebel kit:

Did you use VW dash controls (blinker, headlight, wiper switches), GM or aftermarket? Or a mixture?

As yet I've been to busy and sidetracked to finish my buggy but it looks like I'l start making major headway after July. I was wondering if I should look for new switches or if VW ones will do.

To answer your question John, yes.

I have used two of their kits and one was all custom switches. Everything worked well with aftermarket custom switches.

On the Manx I just completed, it is all VW switches with the exception of three toggle switches. The three toggle switches are for: 1. Fog lights, 2. Fuel Pump ground for manual over ride, 3. spare power run to rear of buggy for backup lights if the State of West Virginia makes me put them on. So, the three toggles are for things a traditional harness does not include. It too works fine.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agb94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what size wire is used in the kit? I'm looking to wire my car for the first time and I don't know what wire size connectors to get.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you wait on getting connectors as "kit" may come with connector assortment....

IF you need to get connectors , do not get Chinese crap, get good brand like "Carol" or "T&B"....

Also skinning and crimping tools will determine whether your rewire is a success or a exercise in frustration....

Avoid the $5 crimpers from local FLAPS and get quality ratchet type crimpers ($30-$50)....

Something similar to theses....

(crimper)

(stipper)

Also a bit if dialectic grease placed on bare wire before crimp will save you many headaches later by preventing corrosion in connection...

Also...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344781

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
agb94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dale, I'll be checking out some kits today then.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to use a relay in the 10gauge red power cable to the fuse block(it's the master 12v source). The relay is going to be switched to supply power to the vehicle. Assuming all I am running are lights and maybe a CB radio, how many amps do you think would be pulled through that relay?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: rebel wiring harness 4 way flasher help question Reply with quote

I'm new to wiring and learning allot. I have the rebel wiring harness kit. Great kit. I have the model 181 flasher switch shown in the diagram. The diagram shows left front,rear and right front, rear turn signals. where do I pick up those wires to run to the switch? Also terminal 49a, terminal +49 flasher relay where do I find those markings? Also fuse #1 and #10 where do I find those markings. I may be missing a page that would tell me that but I don't have it. Thanks.
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of questions, if anyone can help.

I have the Deluxe Beetle Kit, and was wondering a few things:

1. Is the backup light power constant or switched? If switched, does it come on when the ignition is in the Accessory position?

2. I have the turn signals wired at the lights, but in the Dash section of the wiring, there are 4 separate wires for the turn signals, one for each front and rear, left and right. I'm assuming when I connect them to my turn signal switch on the column, I'm supposed to just bridge the two lefts and two rights together where they come out of the column.

3. I'm wanting to install a simple hazard switch under the dash, and am wondering if the Hazard wire in the kit is just for activating the relay, or do I need to add another relay and run separate connections to the lights for this?

Thanks for any and all advice! SLOWLY getting there.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what is actually in rebel kit ..

For backup lights power (12 volts) goes to switch on transaxle then to lamps... IN VW Beetle power is sourced from same source as coil (+ terminal on coil)... You have choice to power them from any source you want, but probably should be key controlled...

The front and rear turn signals are tied common at turn signal, providing you are not using after market TS switch that is for 2 lifetime bulb style that incorporates brake light(s)..

You can use simple switch to activate relay to in effect bypass turn signal switch on column and turn on both left and right side turn signals simultaneously...

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: