Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smisek Stark (NEW Kit!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First few 'bodies' are $10k.. here's the $10K kit elephant in the room.

Just because Project 818 is all-new doesn’t mean that the chassis kit will differ too much from other Factory Five build-it-yourself kits. This means that the 818 starts with a full tubular steel space-frame chassis and a modern composite body shape. The 818 will include everything that is needed to build your car with the exception of running gear and parts from a 2002-2007 Subaru Impreza or WRX.

Here is an early draft list of what will come standard with the kit. As the year progresses, we will add more details to this parts list. This list is subject to change.
• Frame:
Conventional Factory Five tubular steel space-frame chassis with integrated roll hoop, side-impact protection, crumple zones front and rear, and aluminum chassis panels
• Body:
Complete composite body with the following gel-coat or paint-free composite panels: lower front nose, right and left front quarter panels, hood, right and left doors and door liners, side and rear lower quarter panels, tail section, upper trunk hatch
• Aluminum and Composite Chassis Panels:
Pre-fit inner panels that form the cockpit, floors, rear bulk head, engine bay, and splash guards
• Front Suspension and Steering:
Front upper control arms, spindle adapter brackets, KONI brand coil over shock assembly, fasteners, brake bias adjuster, and brake line adapters. Steering rack mounts and fasteners to use Subaru steering rack and column.
• Rear Suspension:
Multi-link rear suspension includes rear lower control arms, fasteners, adapter brackets, and KONI brand coil over shock kit. Frame mounts enable use of Subaru links and transmission.
• Fuel System
Fuel tank with adapter kit (requires Subaru fuel pump, lines, and fittings).
• Cooling System
Cooling system adapter kit with radiator hose extensions and fasteners to utilize the Subaru radiator.
• Exterior Trim, Lighting, and Glass:
Kit includes headlights with integral turn signals and running lights, tail lights and license plate light, windshield, and badges.
• Interior Trim:
The 818 is designed to use Subaru interior components such as gauge pod and seating. Kit includes carpeting, upholstered interior door panels, seat adapter brackets, formed dash, center console, shifter assembly, and e-brake adapter

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The design is not my taste, but 200+ people have pre-ordered it.

Jim
Manx #2614
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Wetstuff. And the 818 is exactly what I would want, if I had the time. I guess what I was getting at in my previous mention of the 818 is that has a $10k price point. with that $10k you are getting one hell of a kit. No it is not vw based, but it was a reference to show what $10k can get you.

Now take this buggy, add a tube chassis, with a easy to find modern donor at a $10k price point and I think its a winner.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCG.. Take a look at that Ridgeline again and do a side/by/side. The Ridgeline is considered an odd shape (Honda announced it is to be discontinued in July) by many so scaling it down, to my eye, only makes it cute. ..like a 1/2 size bus or stubby Beetle.

Being realistic, we are slide rule guys with our 50yr old, air cooled engine. New young guys are chipping engines while we are still balancing twin carbs with a floating ball UNI-SYN.

I have always liked vintage stuff -motorcycles, boats, cars- but if I were to start a new business I would look at what base car 18-24's thought was hot a few years ago as a starting point, not what their father thought was cool.

...'only a opinion - not gospel.

Jim
Manx #2614
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this day and age you build a mid engine sports car, with a modern powerplant and killer design and you have a winner . Got be be reasonable priced.

Wetstuff wrote:
KCG.. Take a look at that Ridgeline again and do a side/by/side. The Ridgeline is considered an odd shape (Honda announced it is to be discontinued in July) by many so scaling it down, to my eye, only makes it cute. ..like a 1/2 size bus or stubby Beetle.

Being realistic, we are slide rule guys with our 50yr old, air cooled engine. New young guys are chipping engines while we are still balancing twin carbs with a floating ball UNI-SYN.

I have always liked vintage stuff -motorcycles, boats, cars- but if I were to start a new business I would look at what base car 18-24's thought was hot a few years ago as a starting point, not what their father thought was cool.

...'only a opinion - not gospel.

Jim

HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame the K1 attack is so expensive. Honda Accord donor, Mid engine, totally sick body.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like it. I'd be willing to buy one in the 4k range.
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
It's a shame the K1 attack is so expensive. Honda Accord donor, Mid engine, totally sick body.

That is what kids want. K1 was WAY up there in price though. The La Bala was pretty reasonable.

On another note do you still have the Machette?
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitcarguy wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

That is what kids want. K1 was WAY up there in price though. The La Bala was pretty reasonable.

Yeppers. I've had it on a chassis, drove it around the block a few times and convinced myself it screams to be mid engined or something so that's where I stopped. Probably will do something along the lines of a FV chassis some day.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it would make a great autocross car. Dan at that fiberfab offshoot has the molds, but his site has not been updated in over a year, and nobody has heard much from him
crack monkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like he cut the doors free. in the Ultra VW article they were still attached so he had to climb in from the back.

Its a neat kit.. or will be when he is finished
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitcarguy wrote:
I always thought it would make a great autocross car. Dan at that fiberfab offshoot has the molds, but his site has not been updated in over a year, and nobody has heard much from him

I emailed him a couple times about buying the dash/console for mine. He responded fairly quickly. As you can imagine, shipping from Oregon to Maryland was a killer.
At that time they were willing to sell parts or the complete body to anyone that wanted one, but he sounded like they really weren't planning on marketing it.
Machette Speedster
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
kitcarguy wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

Yeppers. I've had it on a chassis, drove it around the block a few times and convinced myself it screams to be mid engined or something so that's where I stopped. Probably will do something along the lines of a FV chassis some day.

I could see interest in a reproduced Machete body... Very Happy

bryan
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the molds are at Dans shop still I believe. He was trying to sell the entire business for some crazy amount of money about a year or so ago due to an illness in his family if I am not mistaken. But who knows whats going on with all that. I 2013 roadster was supposed to be posted on his website a year ago, and now its almost 2014
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
kitcarguy wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

I just so happen to have a FV chassis, remember? Wink
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so folks know what is being discussed, this looks like pure fun to me.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only would this give the folks at the DMV a Weggie but every cop in the county would attempt to fill his quota when saw you. Very cool, but dangerous.

Jim
Manx #2614
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just register it as whatever the title says, find out if you need wipers, back up lights etc... insure it and drive. Where is the hard part?
Jeff
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have no issue in Florida getting a Machette on the road
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
Not only would this give the folks at the DMV a Weggie but every cop in the county would attempt to fill his quota when saw you. Very cool, but dangerous.

Jim

With proper lighting/brakes/parking brake/sealbelts/etc., it could be legalized for the street...

bnc
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we start with a pan with a title, there would be no issues getting this on the road in Louisiana. It should be the same as a buggy.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: