Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front trunk usage
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

Vintage pics posted recently
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I always wondered if people actually used the front trunk for stuff like that back in the day.

I haven't had a ton of Bugs that I used for daily errands but in the Bugs and Type 3s I had, I put stuff on the passenger seat or passenger floor if I was alone, or on the back seat if someone was up front.

Anyone put stuff like groceries up front just to run home?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

I have on several occasions, but most often everything ends up on the back seat or the passenger floor. My guess is it's not as common to have all or most of the seats occupied nowadays, so the trunk doesn't get used as much. Besides, it's tough to fit the modern super-sized package of 144 rolls of TP in an area the size of a duffle bag.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

Well my wife snuck a guy into the drive in theater in the trunk. Yes they had to remove the spare. He was skinny.
I have put the 40 lbs bags of conditioner salt in the trunk of the type 1. Now that we have a type 3 squareback project it will have those duties.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

tent,blankets, pillows etc for road trips.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

Many years ago I was in charge of the soda and coffee fund where I worked. I would buy the various flavors of pop when it was on sale and sometimes load the front trunk, luggage area, rear seat and passenger front with cases of soda. I forget what a stock '62 Beetle will hold, but it sat like it had been professionally lowered! (And didn't drive that great until offloaded....)
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

I pile a ton of car show crap in my trunk. Canopy, chairs, cleaning stuff, tool bag, sign, stand, etc. I keep that stuff in there all the time. When I go to the store, I use the back seat.

Growing up, my parents had 3 kids. They piled the family in my 63 Bug and traveled, took to the store, etc. They used the trunk and space behind the back seat regularly. We packed stuff in duffle bags instead of suit cases. Much easier to pack more in the trunk.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

I always store my larger loads of groceries up there.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

When the cars were relatively new, and there were parts & repair shops all around, I used to keep it fairly empty, so when I ran errands and trips, I used the front first, so it would be more stable at highway speeds. I did this with the squareback as well as the fastback.

Now I stock so many tools and parts in my fastback, it's useless for luggage. But I feel more secure.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

Way back when I made a wood tool “tray” for all my tools for work ( mantaince mechanic at a plant nursery). I also had it filled with plants for “ quick runs” along with the rear seat region.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

I keep a tool box behind the gas tank, and a jack behind that; the shelf behind the spare for oil bottles. Since its not a DD, little gets stored under the hood, except I roll up the car cover and put that in when I am out and about.
The feather duster the PO used on the body is in the way back behind the seat.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

In a Bug I forgot about behind the back seat too, I can see that making sense if you had people in the back that could grab it when you got out.

Now that I think about it, I kept a lot of random parts and spares in the front trunk and a tool bag. Hopefully stuff I never had to use.

Car cover... In my Type 34 I used to car cover it at work but I'd toss the car cover in the back seat while driving around.
Not like anyone could really sit back there anyway, although I did have a guy ride back there once to/from a show
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

The comment about carrying a giant load of soda reminded me.

In high school (late 90s for me) I drove two different beetles-a '65 convertible and a '60 standard. For tailgating for a football game, I loaded the trunk of the '60 with ice and cans of Pepsi and Cherry Pepsi (school colors were blue and red) and popped the hood and we used it as a cooler! I couldn't have done this with the '65 because it was too rusty and the stuff would have fallen through the spare tire well!

I didn't use the Beetle's trunks too often because whatever I put in there would smell like gas!

I use the front trunk in the Thing occasionally. Mostly stuff that I don't want blowing around while driving (I don't have a top) or for kinda-secure storage if I'm leaving the car. I figure most thieves nowadays wouldn't guess 1) the trunk is in the front and 2) how to open it. With the spare and gas heater in there, I don't think it really has much usable space.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Vintage pics posted recently

I always wondered if people actually used the front trunk for stuff like that back in the day.

I haven't had a ton of Bugs that I used for daily errands but in the Bugs and Type 3s I had, I put stuff on the passenger seat or passenger floor if I was alone, or on the back seat if someone was up front.

Anyone put stuff like groceries up front just to run home?

The photos are for a Super Beetle, my brother had a super Beetle, I had a Squareback.
Remember when beer cases came in flats of 24 cans back in the 70's
The Super is good for 8 cases of Coors, and a load of dirty cloths, that I know for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

When I first got my Super, I found little bits of plastic grocery bags and receipts in the trunk from years past.

I have used the trunk myself for groceries and for my computer bag when going to work.

The Super's trunk is large enough to be practical. The issue I have with it is the ridiculous hoops you have to jump through to open it! I have to put whatever I'm carrying on the ground, unlock the passenger's door, open it and then open the glove compartment, pull hood release lever, close the glove compartment, close the passenger door, go to the front, push the button and open the trunk, then finally pick up my baggage and load it. Confused

Kris
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

I loved the trunk on my 71 Super. Much more room than my standards.

In high school we cleaned out the windshield washer fluid reservoir and filled it with booze. Then put a 10' clear plastic tube on it, ran under the trunk liner, through a small hole in the glove box. We wrapped a rubber band around the end to keep it from falling back through the hole. We would pass the tube around hittingbtge washer knob, to the back seat, then push it back in the trunk. We made sure to refill the spare tire often. My buddy's dad kept searching his car for booze, but never could find it.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

When I drove a Bug daily I did use the trunk on occasion. It was typically the last place I loaded or if I had 3 or 4 people in the car. Or just to amuse my friends by putting stuff in the front.

I drove Buses almost exclusively for a few years and then when I got my '59 Beetle on the road and started taking it to shows I realized how spoiled I'd been with the Buses when I had to pack my Beetle for a long weekend of camping at a show. I had rear luggage area, back seat and frunk all packed to the brim Laughing

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

The '67 I had in high school I usually kept a large tool box painted ultra-blue to match other accessories in the car. Eventually I stopped carrying that and learned what tools I needed. The front carried a lot of stuff, especially wet wetsuits after body boarding and sailing.

Last thing I had in the trunk was a Coustic Amp 380, it was mounted through the blue short shag carpet to a piece of particle board mounted to the car. I had it about a week, and then the bug was stolen Sad . One of the worst days of my life.

Always tried to keep in neat and clean, and unfortunately I have few pictures. I did a lot of wood work in the car, dash panels, door grabs etc. and had made a wiring cover out of oak plywood that had "Jon's '67 VW Logo " carved into it. I wanted it show quality so the spare tire was clean and there was no junk up there.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

And this guy doesn't put anything is his trunk:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:

Is that bag some kind of funky replacement for the windshield washer bottle?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front trunk usage Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
YDBD wrote:

Is that bag some kind of funky replacement for the windshield washer bottle?

Yeah, probably. Some cars had a bag for the windshield washer. My friend's Datsun has a washer bag.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: