Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '67 Graduation Present
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: My '67 Graduation Present Reply with quote

I am 18 and graduating high school in 2 weeks. I asked my parents if they would get me a beetle for graduation. I wanted something that needed some work but was in reasonably good shape. After a 2 hour drive i got this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I drove it 2 hours back home and the next morning there was a puddle of oil under it so i pulled the engine and found the stock oil cooler was leaking.

other then that the biggest issue is the floors and luggage tray

Now time to save some money for floors.

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
No. Don't be fooled. I have no clue what's going on in that garage. I just hold things against things and buzz the welder. Sometimes, if they're both made of metal, they stick to each other. But other times, fires are started. Either way is pretty cool.
Murdock00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck to you, and Congrats on graduating!
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Im hoping to get it mostly fixed before i leave for college, but we'll see if i can get that far in a summer

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
No. Don't be fooled. I have no clue what's going on in that garage. I just hold things against things and buzz the welder. Sometimes, if they're both made of metal, they stick to each other. But other times, fires are started. Either way is pretty cool.
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your graduation and present. Smile

One suggestion would be to move the plastic fuel filter off of the engine. Also, how did the cooler leak? Did it bust and start leaking or did the oil cooler seals break/mis-seat?
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I plan on moving the fuel filter back next to the transaxle soon but im fixing one issue at a time. As for the oil cooler, the seals are bad so there was a slow leak coming from underneath of it.

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, congratulations on your graduation! Will you drive the Beetle to college, if they allow freshmen to have cars on campus?

You're certainly not intimidated by the mechanical work. Do you have somebody helping you who is familiar with VWs? Removing, and then tearing into an engine can be an overload for many, even though the engine is so simple compared to even 20-year old "modern" cars.

Are you planning to fix the rear luggage floor and the floorpans using welding, or riveting?

After you tackle the floors and finish the engine, make sure you go through the brakes. Check the lining thickness and replace even if still barely serviceable. You obviously have tools at home to do this; might not be so convenient at college in the parking lot. Also would be prudent to replace all of the rubber hoses which go to each wheel cylinder. Hoses can appear OK from the outside, but can swell inside, causing a restriction to the brake fluid. It's alot of work, and messy, but it's the primary safety system. Also make sure you have shoulder and lap belts in the car, and WEAR them all the time.

When I was your age, I had the benefit of my dad's and older cousin's mechanical guidance for working on my '60 Beetle. I ended up selling it after my HS summer, getting a '71 Fastback for my first year of college. But all that was 35 years ago!
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rome,

My dad has actually had a couple beetles over the years and can help with all the engine work. I also have the "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" book which is pretty helpful.

I have a welder and I plan on welding everything that needs it. Although i need money to buy parts so i am working on the engine first.

There was a receipt in the glovebox that showed the brakes were recently serviced but i will go over them to double check. i plan on going through all the lines because i am trying to make it as reliable as possible and it would be awesome to drive it to college. and i am allowed to take a car as a freshmen.

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the top of the page and read all the build threads...then buy the bently repair manual for your beetle..learn how to use the search function....good luck Cool..............................I was 18....43 years ago Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha thanks for the advice

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, its been a little while but i got the seals for the oil cooler on friday and put them in. I custom made a wrench to make the job easier.

Today i got the seals for the oil screen

Also found this the other day... hope it helps

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ran some numbers, this car was built between Dec 66 and July 67 and still has the original engine.

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have your work cut our for you...get it safe and sound to drive.
Check the build month here.
http://www.dubnetworks.net/vw-vin-decoder.htm

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gt1953,
I ran it and got this...

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie;Next time your at a swap meet pick up a used 10 mm wrench and BEND it sideways 1 3/4 inch from the end . Shocked .....It will be a lot easier to get at those oil cooler nuts Cool and you will get more leverage...Keep up the good work Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats what i tried to do but i just got a cheapo wrench from the hardware store and it snapped at about 60° so i used the snapped part and the full length one to tighten it down. Snap-on used to make a vw oil cooler wrench but stopped... they are on ebay for $40 so its a little crazy

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the engine back in and should have it tagged by tuesday so i can drive it to my last day of school before resto. When i put the engine back in i noticed a wire just hanging in both rear fenders, is this for reverse lights?

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to trade my rusty bumpers for your chrome bumpers?

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
Popeye67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnie.w13 wrote:
When i put the engine back in i noticed a wire just hanging in both rear fenders, is this for reverse lights?

Could be - heres mine for referance

dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnie.w13 wrote:
Who wants to trade my rusty bumpers for your chrome bumpers?

Get a ball of aluminum foil and some lemon juice. Scrub your rusty bumpers
with it. Adds some paste wax. They will look a lot better cheap.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie.w13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnie.w13 wrote:
Also ran some numbers, this car was built between Dec 66 and July 67 and still has the original engine.

I havent done much recently except get tags and drive it. I also found out it was made in march of 1967.

'67 Bug Build

OTO X58 wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: