Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid things you've done
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
Went to tweak my timing last night ... have everything hooked up and my mark is 180 degrees off. Shocked What? it was running close to fine. How is it 180 degrees off ... only to look over and had my timing light hooked to #2 instead of #1. lol. Oops.

It's a good idea to occasionally check the timing on all 4 cylinders to compare them. That way you'll know if you have an old distributor with a cyl. 3 retard, or if you have extra wear in the shaft causing irregular readings. Theoretically, with a nice distributor and a degree pulley you can check the timing on any cylinder. I use no. 3 because it's the easiest wire to get the inductive pickup on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about starting a "silly injury" thread but this works well enough.

I was washing my newly-acquired Westerner the other day. Doing the roof (and realized it was the first time I had ever attempted to was a bus roof!), I stood on a chair. For the front, the chair was over uneven concrete, and was a bit tippy as I stood on it.

As I went to step down, the whole chair tipped and I fell over the back of it, scraping and bruising my forearm on the way down. All while a couple kids were walking down the sidewalk and undoubtedly laughing at me.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my 74 tangerine westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st-washed the bus with the windows down all of them
2-cut the fuel line instead of a vacuum line
3-forgot about the cluch after the engine was in
4-forgot to hook up the e-brake then parked on a hill out of gear Embarassed
5- filled her up with diesel Evil or Very Mad
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 74 tangerine westy wrote:
1st-washed the bus with the windows down all of them
2-cut the fuel line instead of a vacuum line
3-forgot about the cluch after the engine was in
4-forgot to hook up the e-brake then parked on a hill out of gear Embarassed
5- filled her up with diesel Evil or Very Mad

Spelled clutch without the "t". Laughing

And I listened to Aeromech. ( not about VW stuff though ) Rolling Eyes
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... Had to get to work extra early today. Haven't had much sleep all week. I left the house "ready to go" at 430am. I don't have a long way to go to work. I turned up the stereo I left the damn thing in 3rd gear going 55-60 for probably a half mile or less. F*ck!

I'm a product of another generation. I'm used to a tachometer and engine sound from loud exhaust. I'm pretty pissed at myself, its a good way to ruin the nice engine I have. Anyways, I'm looking into a back lit tachometer. I was very easy on it for the last mile. Hope its ok.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Stupid things you've done Reply with quote

submitted for your approval, my own act of douchebaggery: so i am driving
along, 1.000 mile since rebuilding a 2.0, the oil pressure light goes on, i coast to the side of the road and decide to use the Idiot manual to solve the problem because it's all about " whatever light on " do this....i change the sender& oil filter and check for pressure and get a puddle under my engine.
Eventually i pull the gauge pod, the P.O. had disconnected everything to pull the dash illumination bulbs, i had rewired it all-with the EGR reminder wire
running to the oil light. Yay.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid things you've done Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
submitted for your approval, my own act of douchebaggery: so i am driving
along, 1.000 mile since rebuilding a 2.0, the oil pressure light goes on, i coast to the side of the road and decide to use the Idiot manual to solve the problem because it's all about " whatever light on " do this....i change the sender& oil filter and check for pressure and get a puddle under my engine.
Eventually i pull the gauge pod, the P.O. had disconnected everything to pull the dash illumination bulbs, i had rewired it all-with the EGR reminder wire
running to the oil light. Yay.

Hey- if you're going to have that issue, that's probably best that you found out now! Imagine if you had the wires backwards and the EGR light came on at 65mph and you just said "EH" and kept going Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I used varnish once instead of activator in some epoxy paint. So it was back to square one. Only worse.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
Ummm... Had to get to work extra early today. Haven't had much sleep all week. I left the house "ready to go" at 430am. I don't have a long way to go to work. I turned up the stereo I left the damn thing in 3rd gear going 55-60 for probably a half mile or less. F*ck!

I'm a product of another generation. I'm used to a tachometer and engine sound from loud exhaust. I'm pretty pissed at myself, its a good way to ruin the nice engine I have. Anyways, I'm looking into a back lit tachometer. I was very easy on it for the last mile. Hope its ok.

You must have a killer system in that bus.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
JDub113 wrote:

Or a killer engine balancer Laughing

Personally, I have the system. Confused
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brionp wrote:
I think I used varnish once instead of activator in some epoxy paint. So it was back to square one. Only worse.

Dude... Shocked

Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
richparker wrote:
JDub113 wrote:

Or a killer engine balancer Laughing

Personally, I have the system. Confused

The system isn't much, but a couple 5.5-6" front speakers and two boxed 6x9s under the z bed. Standard pioneer deck with satellite radio. It was there when I bought it. Motor seems unaffected. Smile knock on wood.

*edit: I shifted into 4th this morning. Wink
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tins under the heads need to be mounted BEFORE you install the pushrod tubes.

Maybe i'll get that right on my next teardown/cleanup, because the second time wasn't a charm. At least I got it after the first 3 on the first side, unlike last time when I damn near had them all installed before I remembered.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent two hours tweaking timing and carburetor today to fine tune things... Wrapped up early, engine ran great, and I headed off to work... the engine died on me crossing a road. Pushed it into a parking lot and started swapping in backup parts one at a time, then took the top off the carburetor and saw it had no gas. Then looked at the fuel filter..... No gas.

Filled an empty water bottle up with .25 gallons of gas, put everything back together, and managed to get the the gas station and put 15 gallons in. Today I learned my gas gauge doesn't know where empty is.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Spent two hours tweaking timing and carburetor today to fine tune things... Wrapped up early, engine ran great, and I headed off to work... the engine died on me crossing a road. Pushed it into a parking lot and started swapping in backup parts one at a time, then took the top off the carburetor and saw it had no gas. Then looked at the fuel filter..... No gas.

Filled an empty water bottle up with .25 gallons of gas, put everything back together, and managed to get the the gas station and put 15 gallons in. Today I learned my gas gauge doesn't know where empty is.

Just the worst feeling!
I did the same thing on the side of the highway a month ago, spent 3 hours with a kind mechanic who pulled over adjusting everything and swapping parts, got it towed back to town only to get a call from the shop the next morning saying "you were out of gas" Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is my wont, unfortunately, I forgot to put the gas cap back on. I put it up on the rain gutter while pumping gas, and just left it there. I drove around town, and even another 100 miles down the highway before I realized that it was gone. Crap! Off to a FLAPS to pick up a cheap black plastic one. I install it, and walk around the back of the bus to get in, and happen to see the gas cap sitting up in the rain gutter. It had walked around to the other side, and was just sitting there waiting for me.

At least now I have a spare for the next time I do this. Rolling Eyes
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. Don't feel bad.
My gas gauge doesn't know where empty is and can't find full.
Have a good day.
Tcash
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I was doing some body work along front end of sliding door middle track which required the removal of the sliding door. After work was finished I reinstalled the sliding door and proudly I gave it a good shove to close it. Well..... I had forgotten to put on the stop back onto the front end of the center track. Door flew off onto floor smashing up rear corner and totally tweaking the lower roller assembly. Yeay dumbass me.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid things you've done Reply with quote

Another one for the stupid things thread...

I got the 1975 single cab started again, after having pulled the engine back in March. It is now August. I fixed and replaced a lot of systems, and went through some typical debugging, and after a TON of work on this thing, it was so nice to have it finally start and even idle nicely. Ahh - love that sound!

So, just one more thing to work on -- need to adjust the clutch cable since ht clutch and flywheel were on the list of replaced items. I adjust and adjust and tighten and tighten the wing nut, and I'm thinking WTF, this is not feeling right. I keep trying it at the clutch pedal, and eventually, I start getting a weird sound when the thing starts to engage. It is not the whirr of a throwout bearing, it is a scraping sound, with a high frequency in it, as if... no frickin' way! ... As if the throwout bearing forks were scraping directly on the fingers of the pressure plate. Think

Did I... did I forget... wait a minute. There's the throwout bearing sitting on the bench. Neutral Crap. I had left out the throwout bearing since I did not want it exposed to the elements for months, and I guess I figured that SURELY I'd remember to put it back in before putting in the engine. And yet... d'oh!

So, time for a quick engine pull, get that bearing in there, and get it back together. Maybe THEN it will be back on the road. Brick wall
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid things you've done Reply with quote

Mistake #1: bought a bay
Mistake #a lot: sold a bay

Other stupid one, plugged a ground wire onto a 30 terminal.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: