Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Sears Rascal Build for MOTB '13
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
I looked back thru your thread and couldnt see what you are planning for a steering column...looks like you filled in the dash/cowl hole but left the hole in the firewall where it was, unless I just missed it somehow, that hole should be 2" lower. Are you using a U-joint at the bottom of the steering shaft?

Page 4, about 3/4 way down the page. Stock '69 column with just signal switch, dimmer switch and ignition switch. No wiper arm. Straight into the steering box. Where the body is raised, the dash only has about a 1 3/4 inch "U" cut into it to sit on top of the column, (actually hoover slightly over it, and not on it). So, the hood can be removed without taking the column out/off.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early on in the thread you mentioned and showed a Berrien rear bumper. Did that stay on the chassis?

joescoolcustoms wrote:

Due to the Berrien rear bumper being so close to the engine, I could not fit a muffler between the header and the bumper, so, after a few days and a few beers, I came up with this off the wall idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the tutorial steps Joe. I've also been watching tons of videos. I'm going to start on the old paint removal for now, and see what happens with my workspace and time.

Love the way that Rascal is looking!
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, the Berrien Bumper will get used on this buggy. It is already painted and awaiting it's turn to get bolted on.

Brian, start stripping! Gotta get it back down to it's original "bones" and see what you have to start with. This is the part that sucks, the very first stage of the build back up.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday was a bust, had too much other things to do, and then the weather. The sky opened up from about 2 PM on.

Today I did get busy, used 80 grit paper and sanded the outside of the tub, finished off work on the dash, then scuffed it with 80 grit sand paper.

Spent 2 hours taping off the entire body and hood, then shot black bed liner on them.

You can see the overspray, dirt and grim on the outside of the tub. It needed something to make it look better.

Here it is after the bedliner.

And the dash/hood turned out nice too. I thinned the bedliner just a touch more so the bedliner would lay down a little smoother and it came out nice with an original pebble grain look.

Monday I am going to start sanding the clear for buffing so it will have a nice shine. I think I am going to sand and buff the interior instead of color bedlining it. Depends on how well it comes out.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many hard hours of sanding later, time to buff and polish.

The entire body shiney surface has been wet sanded with 1000 grit paper, and then again with 1500 grit paper. I have raisin looking fingers and soggy shoes.

Knocked all the orange peel texture off the painted surface, then started buffing with 3M Perfect It rubbing compound, step 1. I use a specific buffer that is variable speed and only has a circular pattern. After about 3 to 4 seconds, you see the shine appear and it looks cool!

Then after the inside and outside were buffed, I moved onto polishing. I use a orbital random polisher that has variable speed. Stops swirl marks from happening because it does not have a specific pattern to create them. I also changed solution to 3M Perfect It Polishing compound, Step 2.

Then the body gets washed in a good car wash solution, (dish soap is made to strip oils from plates and it slowly strips the oil from the oil based paint and drys it).

Kinda of glows with the water on it.

Then dried, and a good quality wax on the body to help seal and protect it.

It is going to be a shame to put a rear seat in it, but that will not happen until returning from MOTB '14.

Almost ready to be placed on the chassis!

neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! Applause

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neohic wrote:
Beautiful! Applause

Thank you!

On my builds, I do some technical things that get a little overboard, and just for personal reasons that I like to do. But, I also do some very low tech mini-projects that many people can do in their back yard or driveway.

Here is one that just about anyone who knows if it is daylight or dark out, can do. And, which will save possibly a sizable sum of money on your build. In addition, it may also help you get moving on a difficult part of your project.

I did wait late in my build to do this since I only have a few weeks left to finish it. But, the fuel tank needs cleaned, sealed and completed in time to cure completely. This method is bare bones simple and decently cheap. I have already modified this fuel tank earlier in the build, so, my welding has already been performed. (NOTE: I have access to an explosimeter and combustible gas indicator, so I can test a old fuel tank to be sure it is OK to weld on is the only reason I welded before cleaning) But, you can do this to clean the inside of a fuel tank to eliminate the explosive hazard and continue on with your build.

I start out with the tank strapped to a engine stand and then tape up all the openings except one that I can fill through. I use 1/2 gallon of an industrial solvent and a gallon of the hottest water I can get, pour the solution into the tank. I then drop in a few short lengths of chain, (do not use long lengths due to getting tangled and not able to un-tie and retrieve) and a few large nuts and other metal items. Tape up the last hole.

Then spin the hole contraption on the engine stand.

I do this for about 30 minutes. I also wear ear muffs. Tilt the stand back about 1/2 way and keep spinning. The loose chains and misc. other items will bang around polishing, scrapping and beating the rust and varnish off the interior surface of the tank. The industrial soap will help dissolve the old fuel residue and help keep the rust/dust/dirt in suspension to be poured out later.

Once I have spun it until my arms are jelly, I unstrap and empty the contents, then perform hot water rinses to wash the soap and loose residue out of the tank. Usually about 1 gallon each time and 4 to 5 rinses.

I then use a heat gun to help dry the interior of the tank.

Once I think I have it dry inside, I use about 2 pints of acetone to put inside and swish around again to make sure to cover all interior surfaces. The acetone will absorb any small traces of water.

Then I re-tape the openings and dump a quart of Red Kote fuel system sealer in the tank and rotate the tank again to ensure all surfaces are covered. Once I am satisfied, use the best port to pour back out the extra red coat so it does not puddle in the tank. It takes about a week for the Red Kote to cure. You can tell it is cured by smelling the tank. If you can smell the acetone taint, it has not cured all the way. Do not use heat other than the sunshine to promote curing. I do not recommend use a shop vac to pull air through the coated tank, because the vapors can make a shop vac explode. just let it air cure in a vented area.

I then follow up on the outside of the tank with the paintable Red Kote exterior black sealant. (in the purple can) This sealer will seal small pin holes in your welds and seals light rust (after it has been cleaned).

The Red Kote sealer is compatible with the ethanol percentage based fuels. I have done this process for 5 buggies and have been very successful. I do run one fuel filter and unless you put dirt/debris in the tank, it is super clean and no dirt gets to your carb(s).

I have also strapped the tank to one wheel of my riding lawn mower and let is spin. But, the industrial soap killed the grass around the area where it seeped past the tape.

Hope it helps you in some way on your project!

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank technique is a great post, thanks.
bgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another totally pro build, looks like. Gosh, what a pretty color !
I really like it. That's looking sharp !
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words!

I wanted to wait until after MOTB '14 to show the final pictures of the Rascal. So, to pick up where I left off, the body is painted, the fuel tank is ready and now all I need is the chassis. Since I stopped this build in January to move to the Puzzle Manx and my trip to Big Bear, the chassis for this buggy has been stored safely out of my way in the enclosed trailer.

Even though the roll cage and bumpers were already painted, I found a couple light spots in the paint, so they were totally re-prepped and totally re-painted.

While the body was up high, I ran the wiring harness through the tubes and fastened the solid state regulator to the body. The regulator is in a safe protected place out of the tire spray, off the engine to lessen the vibration and away from the heat of the engine.

Now to set the body and roll cage onto the chassis.

I use two ratchet straps to pull the legs of the roll cage inward so as it is installed, the roll cage does not scrape the sides of the body. Then released the straps and the cage comes back to normal.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a new Brazilian Beetle Dash and wanted to do something different than the normal, but not stray too far into the technical side of a build, but keep it on the simple side. I used 0.080 thick aluminum plate and set up a pattern to mount the gauges from behind the plate.

Then used the Carbon Fiber decal to dress up the look.

For the shifter, I started out with the Flat Four, but did not like the feel of it, so I switched to a Hurst style replica.

The wiring is a messy looking job, but not that bad for a basic buggy. I had a Wolfsburg West wiring harness or a '69 Beetle that worked nicely with the '69 steering column I was using. I also made a fuse block mount and used the standard style VW fuses.

Since the Puzzle Manx was to get TJKustoms special head lights and tail lights, I pulled the Kerr West Plated Tail Lights and stainless steel front buckets to install on the Rascal. In addition, the rear bumper incorporates the wiring for the lighted license plate frame.

New stater and fresh transaxle look sharp.

Now to move onto the rear seat. I have never built a seat, so, worst that could happen is I waste the material. So, I gave it a try. I think it turned out decent.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to get some miles on the buggy.

My local VW club had a cruise across the State to a members house for a cook out. wvbowtieman had sold his Lithia Mark III and did not have a VW ready to drive, so I lent him the Puzzle Manx and I drove the Rascal.

Two drastically different built buggy's.

Since we had already made reservations at the OBX for MOTB '14 and vacations were taken, David took the Rascal to the North Carolina Outer Bank Islands so he and Trish would have a buggy to drive. We had a blast! David said the buggy went all over the beach sand and never got stuck, (while I got stuck).

And for iceing on the cake, the Rascal won 2nd best Manx Style Buggy at MOTB '14. I never would have thought, but it was judged by it's buggy peers.

A good cleaning, install a set of wipers, figure out a better set of carb return springs and it will go to it's new owner. It has been a fun buggy to build.

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone considering a purchase of a turnkey buggy, this one looks even better in person, and the incredible craftsmanship is evident at every point on this buggy!

I spent the entire time we were at MOTB wavering back and forth about selling our Manx that needs a complete makeover and buying this one. If my wife didn't want me to buy her one now, I'd have had this one with me on the way home. In the end, my burning desire to build my own won, and I can't afford to do a full build on mine and purchase one this nice also, so we had to pass. It was truly a very difficult thing to do.

Amazing work Joe!
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Brian! And it was great to meet your lovely wife and spend the week with both of you.

If you have the ability, or are willing to try, make mistakes and re-group/do-it again, building your own buggy is the ultimate satisfaction.

For those who either do not have the mechanical aptitude, or just pain do not have the time, there are buggy's being built by those who just love to build, sell, and repeat.

Either way, this hobby is here to support both people.

frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Rascal Reply with quote

Hey Brian , I believe my friend is buying it from Joe. I took a bunch of pictures at the Banx,, I was looking for a buggy for him before I left , I sent them to him , and put him in contact with Joe and I think , they struck up a deal , I think Joe is going to deliver it right to his door in Buffalo , and then pick up my Franken- Manx for his next project !
My friend Bob is very happy , and cant wait , he has been looking for a buggy for awhile !
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,
He certainly won't be disappointed!

Joe,
You're an inspiration to us all. I certainly hope that one day my skills are half as good as yours, and I'll be a happy man. Of course, I'm starting out with a vision of everything going perfectly the first time. I'm planning on a 5 month build, but know that it is probably going to be double or triple that, depending on scheduling and re-do's. Since I've got a good chassis for mine to go on, and I'm going to figure out a way to just fix the body and cover up the cuts, I've got a good head start.

I certainly was wonderful hanging out with all of you guys too! It was great to have my wife get excited about buggies now!

Can't wait until next time!
Manx Club Member # 4436

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few action shots of the Rascal from MOTB '14.

Photo's by various people including Evan, France, Vincent, Bill and maybe more.

It is now tucked nicely in a heated garage for the winter and I look forward to seeing it and it's new happy owner come spring at Manx over the Falls.

Prowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Steering Column Support Hoop Reply with quote

I’m interested in your steering column hoop dimensions, could you give the total height of the horizontal and what radius are your bends? Thanks for the help!
joescoolcustoms wrote:
I really liked how you did that rear sub frame wythac, it took some thinking and planning. Thanks for the compliment too.

Thanks brettsvw. Sometimes you have to think out side of the rectangular boxed tubing.

Getting down to the last of the fabrication details. I finished up the Steering column support. I used 1" 0.120 wall DOM tubing to make a front hoop under the dash to support the steering column and the wiring loom. It is braced to the main roll cage hoop and strong. The steering column does not flex as you turn the steering wheel.

I cut the factory column support bracket off, re-positioned it and re-welded. The bracket it now bolts too is slotted for side-to side adjustment, the column bracket is slotted for in and out adjustment, so final tweaks can be made for fit and finish.

Tucked in nicely.

Next, the fuel tank filler. I like my fillers all the way up on the highest area of the tank to get the maximum in the tank when filling and also will not flood the fuel cap on hard stops to spray out. I started with a piece of 2" 0.120 wall tubing and cut a 16 threads per inch on the end of it. This adapts the Norton Motorcycle fill cap nicely for a small discrete flip top fuel filler. I also like this filler cap because it is vented, so no other vent needs to be run on the fuel tank to puke out fuel once it gets sunshine on it after a fill up.

Located where I wanted it on the fuel tank, found the center of the hole and transferred the measurements to the fenders.

Set the hood in place, referenced the fender measurements and located the spot above the tank on the hood.

Drilled where "X" marks the spot and then on into the tank so it would locate exactly in line.

Close enough for exact science.

Next was to weld on the riser that I threaded.

Installed the cut hood with a '68, '69 Chevy truck fuel neck-to-body seal from LMC Truck parts. (fits a 2" filler neck).

And here you can see where it was located, at the lowest point of the fuel tank.

Looks like a quick process, right? Wrong. Details consume lots of time, but make nice builds once it is completed. There are several hours making the brackets, threads and measuring many times to get it right.

Getting in the home stretch with just a few things left before tear down.

Philip Rowe
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Early Sears Rascal Build for MOTB '13 Reply with quote

Prowe:
Sorry, I cannot. I build each one custom to that body and chassis, so they are all different by a little.

But, in the next 30 days I will be doing one on a new Meyers Manx body, and will post those dimensions for you. In the next 4 months I will be doing 3 total, and will come back on the last 2 and compare notes on all three.

I think I have built 13 buggies with this “A-1” hoop in them.

Thanks for your interest!

Joe

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: